Synthstrom Audible Deluge [inc. Open Source development]

Thanks. Its not that I seek that in the Deluge, but I like that a lot on the Elektron sequencers. I am sure that the Deluge has got some tricks to do some other cool stuff, I’ve seen a lot of vids and liked what I saw and how it sounds. I like jamming a lot and I have created my own workflow. I think the Deluge fits perfectly within that.

1 Like

I’ve not tried it for that purpose, though I hear different things from those who had. Some like it, some say it’s an afterthought. What I have tried, extensively, is to play the Deluge from a midi keyboard. I mapped my Sub37 to not only play the Deluge, but also use the Sub37’s extensive hands-on controls to design sounds within the Deluge. Essentially, I got the Sub37 interface with the Deluge synth. CC learning in general is easy - you work the knob on your controller while telling the Deluge that your currently active parameter within the Deluge, is now mapped to that control.

As for tracks, again I would assume that since the Deluge has no real limits on the amount of tracks it can carry, I don’t think it’s limited to sixteen tracks. Rather, the CPU will set the bar for what you can and can’t do. The Deluge is like the Electribe in this - you’ll hit a CPU wall, and then you need to get creative, once you do.

But again, this is one area where I don’t use the Deluge, and if I do, only for an external keyboard to control it, so I’m not the best person to ask here.

1 Like

Hmm, ok - does it support chords ? Note polyphony per track? I think i shall read its manual and have a look at the specific user forum.

Yep, it’s polyphonic. I believe it’s just the CPU that limits this, too.

1 Like

Could you explain something about sequencing external synth with the deluge ? I.e.

It’s lovely, use it a lot, really easy!

how many CC controls can you automate with it, can it midi CC learn ?

You can map all the main shortcuts for cc control - Volume, Pan etc. After that, you’ll press the corresponding button and use two golden knobs to adjust CC parameters. So there are after that total of 16 mapped CC controls (8 buttons x 2 knobs). Parameter lock by pressing a “note” and adjust values, works great. I haven’t tried CC learn.

Its 16 channels external sequencing ?

16 midi channels, either by usb or DIN, yes (unfortunately you cannot choose individually either usb or DIN, that would be useful with iConnectivity midi boxes).

Can it read midi files and play it back?

No, not as far as I know

The deluge has scales ?

Yes!

It doesnt have patterns, you can create a very long track, and the smaller tracks cycle below it ?

It doesn’t and it does, sort of. Tracks are also patterns, at least I think that way. So you can start creating one track and then duplicate it. Once you have duplicated it, it’s sort of alternate version of that track and you cannot play this duplicate and the original at the same time. So - on main level you have these two tracks and they are having different indicating colors on right of the track. When you choose either of these tracks, the old one stops playing (after the pattern is finished or instantly if you want) and the new one starts. After that, these tracks can have any length you want. You can also tie these together that from top, the tracks are played in order as many loops as you set it to run and then jump to the next tracks.

It’s a bit hard to explain so that it sounds easy, but it really is. The best hardware midi sequencing device I have ever used.

With Pyramid and especially with Deluge I really love my studio nowadays. Gone are the days always trying to solve some midi problems with Live and Push. Now the sad Push lies there unused. :frowning:

1 Like

Recording CC changes are great too, btw!

i dont really have any interest in the synth/sampler portion of this, but i have a very great and extreme interest in the MIDI sequencer side of it

im dreaming of them making a MIDI only sequencer version… who knows, i might get a used one of the current model and just use the MIDI part of it

I’d say that it can be worth the price just for midi sequencing. With that price, you don’t get too great eurorack sequencers - for example.

its just the UI itself that is most of the value… the way you use buttons/grid to do different functions, notes, tracks, zoom, etc.

1 Like

That sounds even better, with alternative tracks, could you set it to cycle the alternative track ? Or say 4x original track, then 2x alternative track ? Are there command groups ? So you could start /stop multiple tracks at the same time ?

Can the sequencer record from a midi Keyboard?

[quote=“Sternenlicht, post:538, topic:29613”]
That sounds even better, with alternative tracks, could you set it to cycle the alternative track ? Or say 4x original track, then 2x alternative track ? Are there command groups ? So you could start /stop multiple tracks at the same time ?[/quote]

Yes, currently you can set for example:
Start
Track 1-1 (pink) - repeat 4x
Track 1-2 (blue) - repeat 2x
Track 1-3 (green) - repeat infinitely
End

It is not currently possible to set this setup to loop, so that it could start again from the beginning - the set is started and ends after it’s finished (unless the last one is set to loop infinitely). You can easily reorder “colored” versions of track by holding the track on any step and turning an encoder. Tracks are played on that order how those are ordered.

You can set these “color” setups of course for as many tracks as you want. so you can have drums, bassline etc having their own setup:
Start
Track 2-1 (pink) - repeat 12x
Track 2-2 (blue) - repeat 4x
Track 2-2 (green) - repeat 2x
End

Etc. So - it’s really powerful and easy way to make an arrangement kind of set of tracks/loops. After a while you will have a lot of tracks though, and once you need to scroll vertically to see other tracks so it’s starting to be a bit of a pain to exactly understand what’s going on - in that sense it cannot really replace Push/Live clip view for example.

Tracks can be any length, that’s really great for syncopated stuff! And I still want to highlight one feature which is really really fucking brilliant when sequencing drums: “CROSS-SCREEN” - this essentially allows you to make note changes to “other parts of current loop which are not visible on the screen at the moment”. So, for example you can start a basic beat by starting with 16 steps - add a basic beat - duplicate this 16 steps twice, now you are on 64 steps and you can see the first 16 steps. Then you can scroll horizontally to see any 1/4 part of 64 steps. Ok, once you press “CROSS-SCREEN” - any changes you’ll now make on this visible 1/4 part, are made also to other 3/4 views which are not currently visible. SUPER CONVENIENT! Again, a bit hard to explain, but really powerful and easy. Also, you can mute any “note” row easily, and with drums this is especially convenient to make slight changes during jamming.

Yes, you can also map a midi keyboard to launch tracks or map Deluge synth parameters etc.

2 Likes

I am set for tonight…

5 Likes

I want to hear your jams! And Adreas!

2 Likes

I just want to say that I think this hardware looks beautiful and I don’t think I’d miss having an LCD. I look forward to hearing more demos. :smiley:

1 Like

We’re working on it😎

2 Likes

I just saw this one:

1 Like

Yep. Solid performance right there.

There’s a slew of demos coming out now, from Deluge users who’s getting deeper with the instrument. It’s really starting to show its character.

1 Like

I read in a German synthesizer forum, that the deluge is sending out all CC value´s at once, when a new track is launched, the guy complained, that this causes value jumping for external gear when it receives those CC values, and that is why he cant use the deluge as intended. He says its somewhat unexpected behavior.

The answer from the developer stated, that this is done to set external gear to a defined sound point. I think both are valid answers (i.e. unexpected jumps, and intended behavior.)

Did you have such an issue ?

It can send out bank select and patch select? I would prefer if it would only send those messages to initiate a sound, and not all CC values to a reset point when a track is started /stopped.

Hi,
I bought a deluge and now reselling my monomachine. The deluge has a much better worklow for me (and it has p-lock).

2 Likes

Welcome to our ever growing army of New Zeeland synthesis😊

1 Like