Synthstrom Audible Deluge [inc. Open Source development]

I’m enjoying reading your thoughts on the Deluge. I’ve not had as much time as I’d like to play with mine as yet due to other commitments, but I will ensure I try out some of your findings when I get the chance.

1 Like

That’s interesting as for me, Deluge is definitely and foremost fun to play. The workflow is so quick, even when you use internal kits and hw midi that it’s real pleasure to get a groove going in a minute. I admit that there is some work to be done before sampling is perfect, but I’m certain that it will be better sooner or later.

And btw, you can do “trigs”. Just press a “note” and make an adjustment, remove the “note” if you want - the automation should work.

1 Like

Yeah, I noticed. Pretty cool :slight_smile: I like that it has all this emergence in it, like you try something and “Hey, it worked.”

1 Like

So I’ve given the beta version a go, and more specifically the option to resample. The Deluge now streams samples from the SD card, so gone is the 64MB memory limit in all cases but one - when you actually sample. For playback and maintaining samples in song memory, there’s only what’s on the SD card that limits you.

Resampling is actually quite clever. You can either just start the Deluge and start recording its outputs into the internal memory, whenever you feel like it. Crude, but efficient.

However, you can also start the resampling as you start the sequencer, which means you can jump to any section of a song that you like, and trigger the resampling from there - including, of course, the very beginning of a loop or track. Now, we’re in Electribe territory. Not bad.

Most importantly, though, you can set the Deluge to stop resampling as a track is about to restart its loop. This gives you efficiently perfect start and end points for loops sampled within the Deluge, essentially making this feature as efficient and powerful as the Octatrack’s resampling. If you then want to assign the result of this to a track, the Deluge assumes that most of the time, what you’ve just sampled is also what you want to assign - and defaults to your most recent recording, creating a fast workflow for sampling and then triggering that sample from the track.

It makes me think of the OP-1, where you build something cool with the instrument’s synths and sequencer, then record it to tape for further awesome. The Deluge’s the same here - come up with something and record it - if you like. Given that it’s a full blown sequencer on its own, you don’t have to. But you can, if you prefer to manipulate a sampled loop with all the Deluge’s sound sculpting features, before working the one shots or the oscillators through the sound engine.

I can only think of one modern hardware instrument that does something similar to this, and that’s the Electribe Sampler. Though again, they don’t compare, they’re solar systems apart, but the idea is the same. Whatever you build within the instrument, be it with the synth engine, samples, loops or whatnot, you can record into a track and then work with it from there, but also seamlessly blend recorded stuff with synths running in parallell through the sequencer.

If Rohan Hill (the Deluge guy) finds a way to create equally perfect recordings from external audio sources, the Deluge would cover so much production ground that anyone embracing the One Piece To Rule Them All-concept, would be insane not to consider the Deluge. Synthstrom has been coy on the subject, though, so no idea if that’s coming or not.

6 Likes

Hey, anybody know when its possible to make pre-orders again, I’m right now only on the mailing list, havn’t seen any changes on the deluge-page for a while? :slight_smile:

I think they’re gearing up to have them in stock, from this point on. You should be able to order in September again, tho I’m not sure when.

Do you see any point buying a Deluge if you have an octotrack, a4, monomachine, digitakt, op1.
Can it replace some of them ?
thanks

1 Like

No, not really. That’s an impressive rig you got there, and if you’re not looking for a more streamlined workflow, the Deluge won’t do anything differently enough, to warrant a trade.

The Deluge’s primary thing is that it really is a complete production environment in a very clever package. It doesn’t really cut any major corners in any aspect. It has solid, proper synthesis, a deep and flexible sequencer, excellent sampling capabilities, well built and runs on batteries. If you’re into finding a place where you don’t need to reach for multiple gear to get where you want, and you like the Deluge’s character, then there’s nothing like it. But you’ve got plenty of character in your Monomachine and OP-1, you’ve got sampling awesome in the Octatrack and the Digitakt, amazing and organic synthesis in the A4. You’re covered.

The Deluge, however, blends all this into a focused and trimmed environment. But it does not sound like an A4, it doesn’t have the Octatrack’s depth for sampling, it doesn’t do conditionals like the Digitakt, and so on. So with the rig you got going, unless you’re looking for a place where less is more, you’re covered. Don’t get the Deluge.

4 Likes

Thanks !

1 Like

Hey thanks for the info, Hopefully I’ll be able to pre-order one soon then!

1 Like

Seems like they’re in stock now, as of yesterday.

Thanks for the heads up! Order away! :smile:
I wonder how long the shipping is to Sweden? :innocent:

Six days, for me at least😊

1 Like

ordered! Excited about this!

2 Likes

Welcome to a strange, new place :slight_smile:

1 Like

And now, they’re almost out again. So much for keeping stock :slight_smile:

I think it’s great that such a passion project takes of with such commercial and critical success. They’re just two guys, one who built it and one who marketed it, and it sells like hotcakes.

It just feels so well-deserved.

I’ve put a little something together for all you new Delugers, a few experiences I’ve had so far that might help you avoid some of the pitfalls that I didn’t see coming. It’s just a few pages, but it might help you get started and get quicker to the awesome stuff.

UnderstandingTheDeluge_v02.pdf (40.3 KB)

8 Likes

Are they going to implement conditional trigs/probability as anybody know of? That would be awesome. i like that on my DT and AR…

It’s on the feature request list, but I have a feeling it’s not gonna happen yet for awhile, if at all.

Could you explain something about sequencing external synth with the deluge ? I.e. how many CC controls can you automate with it, can it midi CC learn ? Its 16 channels external sequencing ? Can it read midi files and play it back? The deluge has scales ? It doesnt have patterns, you can create a very long track, and the smaller tracks cycle below it ?
Did you try that function ?