Synthstrom Audible Deluge [inc. Open Source development]

As of right now, it seems like a strategic misstep to try to have their debut product be an all in one item. The amount of time that went into this without an R&D seems like it would naturally be a bit dated upon release. This seems to be the most likely. I’m ready to eat my words if this thing turns out to “unleash the beast” (at least until the launch price finishes).

But most likely, it doesn’t seem like this thing will be enough of what it aims to be

afaik DELUGE neither for the moment, but could be wrong on this

i was quite surprised by the FM synth
also the sidechaining with different destinations is really good

what i miss though are the midi fx possibilities of the PYRAMID
and i expected some more fx but i guess there’s more to come…

Its better than your Tempest :tunga:

2 Likes

FWIW the sound cloud demo sound a little better than the youtube demo.

1 Like

.LOLOLOLOL!

(I apparently need to add more to make this response, hopefully this caption is enough)

2 Likes

Sounds better than the circuit to me, effects sound reasonably good, but need more data to judge more effectively.

Totally agree. The Circuit has a dull top end and this definitely has a crisper sound. I want to hear more modulated sounds.

This is funky. Seems like all samples here.

1 Like

Interesting how they moved from that older grid to the new grid in such a short space in time.

I like the move but it would of been interesting if they have offered both.

780$ / 1450$ sorry but that’s some expensive sequencer with hm… something extra… not convinced at all.
I would rather get Analog :heat: and run my master out trough it all day long…

Ultimately, after much consideration, that has taken me all day long… (or at least a few hours) - Ive come to the conclusion that the box is not for me in its current form. I just dont have enough spare money/time/energy to get properly invested in it.

Now, if it was only a MIDI/CV sequencer and had all the same sequencer functions and UI, with the grid keyboard and so forth - that would be perfect. I dont need a sound engine or sampler in there. Just put 4 MIDI outputs and also 4 CV/gate outputs on there - that will be perfect!!!

That is the Synthstrom dream machine for me. I wouldnt be surprised if they have the same idea at some point, and if not I will happily suggest such a device to them and encourage its development.

The only thing that keeps me coming back is: launch price vs final price. I wont bother spelling it out, but its a sticking point that I still havent fully overcome. Logic says otherwise so far. I may have to listen to reason on this. We’ll see.

1 Like

Seems like the Pyramid would be the machine for you, then.

1 Like

No not at all - the UI is completely different, its another type of world. I dig the pyramid functions, but its very far away from “hands on”. Its much more cerebral, algorithmic, math–function based way of working. Deluge is more like an evolution of the x0x style into a new generation. The monome got there first, but like all first steps it was clunky, hard to use and basically just a proof of concept.

The deluge is like having a pixel grid made from buttons that you can zoom and scale in whichever direction - and then on top of that there are many logical ways of interacting with the grid-based functions and so on. Yes, at the most basic level its a mature fruition of the monome concept, but I have not seen it done like this before… and I “get it” completely and its exactly what Im looking for.

With that being said, Id consider what Im looking for to be fairly niche - so Im not sure other people are seeing the same thing here, or even give a shit about such things. I cant blame them, either. See, Im at the point where workflow is GOD - workflow is the #1 priority for me, above all else… above sound quality, above options, above anything. And then you have to understand that what works best is going to be different for everyone.

Yeh don’t think it’s quite right for me here but intro price is tempting…

It’s just that UI. If they bring out an android/ios app I’ll look at it again but for now I just feel like I’d hate using it for sampling/browsing. Will keep an eye on vids etc tho, maybe I’ll still get swayed…

Good sign of things to come tho. If novation don’t do something with a decent screen etc then hopefully Elektron and Teenage Engineering etc have something on the dev table atm that we’ll see next year.

Deluge with OT screen (or even better something like Push screen) and some of OT features (specifically scene fader + slicing…) would be insane…

Didn’t find the following in the vids. Haven’t watched all of them yet tho. Anyone else clock the info? -

How many fx simultaneously per track(synth/sample)/per kit/per Master?

Any slicing features? Massive shame if there isn’t push 2 style slicing with that pads UI…

Timestrech… Can you set a sample to timestrech when using it as a polyphonic sample? Ie if you sampled a piano note and play it chromatically is there an option so every note in a chord runs the same length?

Ableton style pad mode for launching loops… Seems like a no-brainer mode to include with that huge grid…

a monome with a sp-404 screen…i wanted to love this so much

1 Like

I like everything about the Deluge. But what I like the most, is that I don’t want it.

I am cured.

8 Likes

Omg, looks hugely featureful! Jumped from “won’t buy any devices” mode to “pretty damn interested” in no time!

Gotta watch all the videos, but few questions:

Is there a dedicated drum sequencing mode as it looks really useful as one?
Are the buttons touch sensitive a’la push?

The introduction price is really competitive when I compare for example eurorack sequencers… Design looks like this was designed to be partnered with my Dominion 1!

hahaha you’re FUNNY :joy:

1 Like