Synthstrom Audible Deluge [inc. Open Source development]

Same.
At work, gassing.

1 Like

Does the Deluge remember the tempo of each song?

Yep (as far as I remember, not at the machine to check now)

1 Like

Yes. Iā€™m working from home and resisting the urge to turn it on :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Whats the most number of samples that can be played at the same time? Has it got a random generator for evolving soundscapes?

In OS 3.0 it will have some functions that let you turn it on for three hours, donā€™t touch it and it will come up with a no.1 hit for you.

Sorry. Really donā€™t know yet. Iā€™m scratching the surface. I think it was stated that it can run 48 or 64 samples at once (unaffected). Turning effects and stuff on increases the CPU load which can result in a lower number.

1 Like

Both. Load, turn select, load for saved tempo or load, turn select, tempo+load for same tempo as currently playing.

1 Like

i found this video todayā€¦ lots of cool sounds!

3 Likes

Thatā€™ great. This simple thing is something I wanted to do with my Octatrack from the beginning, but tempo locks have not been implemented (and maybe never will)

Well, yeah, but thatā€™s Rephazer though- dudeā€™s a beast.

Though- thatā€™s using samples on the machine. Which is cool- Iā€™m glad that functionality is there- but if the internal synthesis isnā€™t good/takes a lot of effort to make a decent sound then youā€™re paying for a feature you wonā€™t use.

Itā€™s a tough call- moreso because thereā€™s no way the purchase will be made with little more than faith.

1 Like

Two carriers. Two modulators. Its not going to give unique sounds from scratch but pretty standard ones. It probably is its achilles heel. Your best off using external synths i feel.

The internal synth engine is in fact pretty sweet. Itā€™s got incredible patching possibilites etc. and you can combine samples (single-cycle waveforms or whatever you like) with the internal oscillators.

Update 2.0, which weā€™re beta testing right now, brings new analog modelling waveforms, whereas the original digital waveforms are mathematically perfect shapes. It also features a new analog-model drive filter (ladder filter type with overdrive when turning up the OSC volumes).
And, itā€™s gonna get continuously better too, the update love this machine is getting is unprecedented, unmatched.

It does not take a lot of effort to make good sounds. Thereā€™s just so many possibilities that it might be dazzling to some :slight_smile:
Plus, many people already have heaps of external synths and therefore not enough capacity to explore and to love the internal synth of the Deluge.

And, the FM synth, although not very complex, is also not to be underestimated.

4 Likes

If one is considering getting the Deluge, the synth engine should not be a show stopper. Itā€™s great. Itā€™s not as immediate as a Moog, youā€™ll have to look for the sweet spots, but cā€™mon - thatā€™s the case with most great instruments.

I think actually when it comes to getting the Deluge or not, thereā€™s another thing to consider which Iā€™m noticing that no one is bringing up here, and itā€™s the workflow. For an instrument of its size and features, itā€™s ingenius. However, itā€™s not for everyone. There are good live jams out there on the Deluge, but it is more a programmerā€™s approach to building something with it and less of just banging away. If you look at boxes, Iā€™d say the Tempest is at the other end of the spectrum, where - as long as you got patches loaded that you like - playing the damn thing is just so much fun, thereā€™s no end to it. Working with the Deluge is more assembly, though a damn fine one and brilliant at that.

But donā€™t worry about sound, synth engines, sampling, all that stuff. Itā€™ll be what you want it to be. Look more closely at how you actually work with it. Thereā€™s your potential deal breaker.

3 Likes

Talking about workflow, here is a simple question:
Can you work with patterns?
It seems every song I hear is only one pattern and muting soling tracks.

I would like to play a pattern and when I want I change to the next pattern, and so on.

I dont see patterns in the Deluge. Is this possible?

Lets be honest here. Looking 10 years down the line the Deluge will be just another gadget gathering dust. Its a stop gap for something better. Whilst the Octatrack has been around many years and peoole are still marvelling at it. I think it does everything well. Good at everything. Like a swiss army knife. But say the OP-1 wins with portability. The Octatrack wins with sample mangling. You are compromising to a certain extent.

1 Like

I guess youā€™re right. But letā€™s be honest. This is true for a lot of stuff. Digitakt and the likes. I cannot imagine someone lusting for it or an a4 in 10 years. Even an ot as there will be a machine (maybe octa mk 3 or 4) that exceeds.
At the moment itā€™s one of the few portable all in one packages. And it does a great job.

Has it got something that cant be found elsewhere? I get the all in one package thing. But is that really important? I dont know im still undecided.

:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

3 Likes

Except I hate the workflow of the OP-the workflow of the deluge is much more appealing. I donā€™t care how much more appealing the portability of the OP-1 is I donā€™t like it/ I want the Deluge

Yes the OP-1 has limitations. But it has one huge selling point its portability. Im trying to see how the Deluge competes in such a saturated market with no killer sell ing point. Maybe the workfow is it?