SynthFest France 2024 -- (April 19-21)

Years ago Jean Michel Jarre would have been all over this kind of thing. I remember him saying in the late 70’s how he was bringing Electronic Music to to the French who are more traditional type music. I believe he recorded Oxygene on a Farm as well.

He might well have said that and maybe meant to French popular music, but Éliane Radigue, Pierre Henry, the whole of IRCAM and many, many others were making electronic music long before then.

And there was this too, which was very popular:

As was Jean-Jacques Perrey.

3 Likes

I saw her in the documentary Sisters with Transisitors which is a fantastic watch.

1 Like

She’s amazing - especially how she used the Arp 2500.

Éliane Radigue really should be a guest of honour at SFF.

1 Like

Is she still with us? Delia Derbyshire is a bit of a hero of mine.

1 Like

Good thread for more discussion :

Sisters with Transistors

2 Likes

Perhaps a little early if timed to the show. But if it is kicking off an anniversary celebration occasion, maybe.

Could Kodamo finally release their Infini ? ( thread )

It was first previewed at SFF 2022, caused a bit of excitement, and then disappeared. Kodamo did produce their Mask 1 ( thread ) in the meantime, which likely used some of the technology from the Infini.

I think the Infini may still be in progress.

There had been talk of an Essence FM Keyboard at one time as well.

Or how about a flagship keyboard wrapping all three technologies together ? To really push the speculation, add an advanced keybed to that !

2 Likes

Confirmed in their last update:

Manatees, fresh from assembly and running the latest release candidate software, will be freely available for all visitors to play with extensively. Please bring your headphones!

2 Likes

The Arturia Astrolab is on the way. ( thread )

2 Likes

Was that it ? :innocent:

1 Like

I believe she was at GRM, which was a bit the competition of IRCAM but I’m nit-picking :smiley:

1 Like

Notice i made announcement plural. So that’s half, or less. Being like Korg at NAMM would be good.

Speaking of Korg; they seem an everflowing fountain of new products, and they’re at SFF. At the very least we might see some more of their current new stuff there.

ADDED : Korg bringing their own answer to the Astrolab : A combination of the Modwave, Wavestate, OPSIX, KingKORG NEO, with piano and organ, inside their poly-aftertouch MIDI 2.0 Keystage controller.

On verra…

1 Like

Nice to see that NRSynth will be there again, hoping for more coverage of their Ancestor.

I see Novation is there but still no leaks. Should we get worried?
If they got nothing new at Synthfest they probably won’t have anything new at Superbooth either.

I don’t think it works like this? They still might have something but given Novation’s impact, Synthfest isn’t that big of an event in marketing terms. In fact, Novation shouldn’t worry much about Superbooth either…

(Launchpad Pro owner here, also waiting to see what Novation has to offer this year.) :slight_smile:

I don’t know how big Synthfest in France is, never been there. Superbooth is a big happening though. Usually Novation is teasing a bit on what’s to come and since we got nothing so far it seems more likely that we’re not getting something new.

Ok, now I see that the Launchpad Pro MK3 was announced at NAMM 2020, so maybe Superbooth could be a venue for announcements, yes. I haven’t been to Synthfest either, but (as important as it is for France and surroundings) it doesn’t compare to NAMM / Superbooth.

Then again, I would be very happy to be proven wrong!

Was in Synthfest last year and indeed it is smaller when compared to videos I saw of Suberbooth or NAMM. I don’t remember any major announcement from last years edition either. It isn’t even on Arturia’s calendar (no announcement last year, and they could have waited two weeks for this year’s Astrolab but didn’t). Moreover, considering the fact that it is located in Nantes (a middle size french city) whereas NAMM is in Los Angeles and Suberbooth in Berlin should tell you everything about the size difference.

None of this diminishes how fun it was to be there last year and how lucky I feel to live in the only french city with a synth convention.

5 Likes