Synthesizing animal sounds techniques on Elektrons?

I’ve had a lot of luck using Rytm (samples of my voice making weird sounds modulated with lfo) to get alien Goat “baaahs” and something close to Owl “hoots.”

But has anyone had luck using Rytm or Syntakt to design sounds closer to Elephant trumpeting or Lion’s roars? Any examples or techniques? Eventually i’d like an OT or DN, and I’m curious if those are better for these types of sounds, or whether anyone has made something similar with Rytm or ST.

2 Likes

This sounds like a fun challenge: Who can make the most believable animal sound using a synthesize based Elektron device? :slight_smile:

But yeah, I would be surprised if there were a general answer to this question, especially since animal sounds can have such different characters depending on what animal we’re talking about :wolf: :frog: :snail: :sauropod: :monkey_face:

1 Like

Seems that there are some on the forum I remember this I think is the last one

4 Likes

I synthesized a frog croaking kind of sound on a track for the summer challenge. It was on DT from a short bit of a sample so not sure if that counts

Even if using pure synthesis a sampler could probably take you far because of resampling if the synth engine was limiting

1 Like

I made some pretty sweet cicada sounds on the Monomachine. Though that was a while ago. I feel like insect stridulations would be easier than mammalian hoots and/or hollers.

1 Like

Would love some cicada sound design tips as well. I’ve done that stuff on modular synth by accident, but have forgotten how to do it.

I’m definitely looking for techniques based on sample manipulation, resampling included

There is a really good book by Andy Farnell called Designing Sound. It uses PureData in the examples for synthesizing all kinds of natural sounds but the principles are really easily applied to most synthesizers.

4 Likes