Synth for easy sound design

So, when it comes to working with synths I’m not a big fan and I’m much more a sample guy. This is mostly because I’m too slow or the synth is too deep - I get bored before I have the sound I like. I recently got myself a Perkons and it’s perfect for me. Not too deep, always sounds good, just enough knobs to twiddle to get a variety of sounds without going down a rabbit hole. Is there a synth like this? Something like the db-01 is great but the sound is too limited for me and not my flavour.

Moog Sirin probably. Or the Minitaur, if you only need it for bass.

The Moog Grandmother is one-knob-per-function, sounds great, and you can patch it to go wild if you like.

4 Likes

Microfreak. Versatile and simple

7 Likes

You might also like the Syntrx Mk1 or Mk2. For something even closer to the Pērkons, try the PERfourMER

For something easier on the bank, any of the Korg ‘logues look really good.

3 Likes

Dreadbox Hades, Erebus (no Presets)
Dreadbox Typhon
miniKORG 700FS
Sequential Take 5
SH-01A
Juno-06A

10 Likes

Strong recommendation for Vermona Mono Lancet. Ultimate hands-on experience. Fabulous Sound!

5 Likes

Which budget should it be?

1 Like

Less than a 1000 euro

1 Like

Korg

1 Like

Easy sound design synth with all sweet spots is not easy at this price point. If it has to be hardware, then I think ASM Hydrasynth Explorer deserves an honorable mention. Even though it is not always easy to find the sweet spots with it due to the sonic possibilities, the interface is as good as it gets.

Another perspective on your quest is to go for a decent hands-on delay (e.g. Strymon Volante) or reverb (e.g. UAFX Golden Reverberator) pedal. This can provide an agreeable sonic boost to your otherwise boring synth.

2 Likes

Bass Station 2 maybe?

6 Likes

Would be my favourite easy synth but no „manual mode“ trig (make it sound as actual knob position) makes it uneasy for a quick jam sadly for me and makes me still keep another synth with a smaller but obviously niice sweetspot that i could let go otherwise (dominion) and an old erebus…

Difficult to recommend without some more information. Are you looking for mono / poly? What do you anticipate using it for? What’s your genre or style. What do you already have?

I know not everyone is into apps, but I think Livewave is a great little simple synth and it’s free: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=live.heartpixellabs.livewave
It’s a 2 vco + noise set up, a filter, 3 envelopes and an lfo. Got its own little sequencer too. I just usb my Keystep to my phone and off I go.

2 Likes

Well…

:scream: gutted, I didn’t know apps were regional.

1 Like

The Behringer Model D would also be a good choice. Or a Crave if you want to hook things up with wires.

I’ve been extremely pleased with all of the Korg products I’ve ever bought, particularly synths. So a second recommendation for the Minilogue or Minilogue XD. Sometimes the Korg sound can be an acquired taste, but the ergonomics and manuals are usually very good. I always download manuals and browse them before buying.

2 Likes

When I read the OP, I thought “Minilogue XD” to myself…

3 Likes

Oh boy, I love these kind of threads. 'bit redundant but always feels like home, when everybody get together and share their favourite objects of desire. :nerd_face:

1 Like