Syntakt won't record notes into a sequence from my external keyboard (via overbridge)?

I’m using Syntakt with Overbridge in Logic. All sounds great, and I can use my master midi keyboard (NI S49II) to play it no problem (including isolating different tracks via selecting different midi channels).

However, even though I can play a track and the Syntakt lights up, I can’t get the sequencer to capture any notes when I try any of the record modes. I watched some Syntakt tutorials where people do this and followed the steps exactly… nothing happens.

I checked all the midi settings in the Syntakt, and it seems good. Set to receive basically everything. Googled around and can’t seem to figure it out.

Any ideas? Thanks

No one? Perhaps to illustrate more clearly what I am trying to do, it’s exactly what he describes in this video here starting @ 13:19. Notice how he enters notes into the sequencer using his external midi controller.

For me, no matter what I’ve tried, this does not work. Is it because the midi controller is connected via my DAW into USB on the Syntakt (running in Overbridge mode)? Does it have to be connected via the midi DIN port? Wouldn’t make sense to me why since it is otherwise successfully sending (and receiving MIDI) with the DAW and my controller. So I can hear the keyboard playing a track, just the sequencer won’t “record” these notes (I’ve tried all the different record modes, too).

I can’t explain what’s happening as far as your set up and note triggering, but as far as I’m aware Elektron devices don’t do midi over USB, they do audio. Using a USB midi device (controller) requires a host (computer for example) and a din connection. I have to use a standalone USB midi host to use a USB midi controller with an Elektron box because I’m not using it with a computer in the middle, so first sending USB midi to the host and that passes standard din midi to the device. Are you not somehow connected by din to something else? Your interface etc?

Hmm. I’ve been successfully playing both my Syntakt and Digitone using a controller over USB midi (I’ve actually never used the DIN midi on either unit). Or if I have a midi region in my DAW, it will play back on the Syntakt. So there seems to be no issue there with regards to midi working over USB (via my computer).

Have you enabled Receive Notes on the ST?

Yep.

1 Like

Are you using the Auto channel?

Is Syntakt the only one with USB midi then?

Just to be sure, are you trying to record sequences on the Audio or MIDI Tracks?

I am not. In this case I am selecting individual channels via my DAW (manually setting to whichever track I want to play).

Not sure what you mean - just trying to input notes into the sequencer from my midi controller keyboard (rather than using the Syntakt trigs manually).

Think that @Tchu is just trying to confirm you’re using the controller via overbridge to enter notes into the Audio tracks (synthesizer tracks) sequencer, as opposed to entering note data into the midi tracks sequencer, which will record note sequences, but only sends them out to peripheral gear and is not connected to the synthesis engine.

1 Like

No, DN and DT do have USB MIDI too.

1 Like

It is clearly stated in the manual to use the AC when entering notes from an external controller.

If that’s the case I’m going to need to figure out what I’m doing wrong, thanks. Good thing I can use this host box for some other stuff otherwise I’d be super annoyed with myself for wasting money.

1 Like

You can only record MIDI data from external MIDI devices to a MIDI track via the auto channel:

Does that work with Overbridge? I’ve actually never gotten Autochannel to work with either the Syntakt or Digitone in Overbridge mode (I have had autochannel work when in just regular USB midi/audio mode).

It seems it (still) does not: Autochannel not working on Overbridge .

Ah ha – ok – Overbridge appears to be the issue here. I just tested it by throwing the ST into USB Audio/Midi mode, and now it works exactly as I originally expected (even without AutoChannel). I’m able to select any channel of my choice, record on the sequencer (live or step modes), and playing from my midi keyboard it records everything perfectly!

So seems like this isn’t doable using Overbridge, for whatever reason. I’ll keep that in mind. Primarily I use Overbridge because my audio interface inputs are maxed out and dealing with aggregate audio devices can be a bit dodgy. But in the future I guess that’s what I have to do.

1 Like