Autochannel not working on Overbridge

I am using Overbridge as standalone with my Digitone through USB and and Arturia Keystep, also connected through USB. The keyboard works alright when setting the specificl midi channel to one of the four tracks (Ch1-4), but if using autochannel (usually default to Ch10). Overbridge won’t get any signal from the keyboard. I have checked with othersoftware and the Keystep is definitely sending MIDI signal through Ch10.

Is autochannel for some weird reason disabled when working with standalone Overbridge? If so, this seems like a weird decision (similarly weird to Overbridge plug in only taking incoming midi signal to Ch1 if through USB, which I found a workaround too, but continues to be annoying).

2 Likes

Hi
I just came to post the same question. Frustrating.
I wanna program the A4 sequencer from my midi keyboard and find tapping the A4 keys out not best for flow

I’m having the same issue issue with the latest beta of Overbridge. Both on Analog Rytm and Analog Four the track channels (1 to 4 on A4 and 1-12 on AR) work fine, but if I try sending to the Auto Channel, it will not work.

Is there any workaround to get it working?

1 Like

I also have the exact same issue. My DN (through standalone Overbridge) only respond to incoming MIDI notes from my external keyboard through channel 1/2/3/4 only. It does not respond if I change the channel to auto channel (ch 10). The same thing also happens in the DAW environment.

Meant to reply to one person not all.

What DAW are you using? When using overbridge, you can just disable auto chan. Drop your VST on a track, create 4 midi tracks and set their midi channel to the individual channels in DN settings and direct them to the VST. Now you need to arm the specific track you want to control in the DAW. There are user templates on this forum. Search for instance “Ableton Digitone template”

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply. I use Ableton, and yesterday I had found the template on the forum, just like what you’ve said! It works (almost) perfectly, because I still can’t record incoming MIDI notes from my external keyboard into the DN internal sequencer while on OB mode in Ableton. Is there any workaround for that?

Having this same issue! I love using the DN standalone plugin without opening my DAW but I also can’t get autochannel to work with my keystep via USB. I’ve read there’s no way to record notes into the sequencer via midi channels 1-4 (which send notes) so I’m stumped. Hoping someone found a fix!

1 Like

Still no fix, right?

2 Likes

On the brink of 2023, anyone find a solution to this?

1 Like

Still no fix?

1 Like

We’re at an amazing 1.50 update but still no fix sadly.

1 Like

Does this really not work? I’ve spent over 2 hours trying to solve this. I slightly adjusted my midi setup today because of some equipment changes without expecting this would be a problem. I guess I can only input notes through din cables :roll_eyes:

Frustrating because I had the day set aside for making some music and I’ve spent all this time troubleshooting and not really feeling it now.

old problem, never been solved
as a workaround, I send autochannel (whatever channel is yours) on a separate midi track (whichever daw it is)
it works! :wink:

(but you must have midi enabled)

3 Likes

Still not fixed in 2023? Yikes! I use OB in standalone all the time, but somehow it won’t work with midi controllers (trying to use just my Launchcontrol XL with DT). Pretty huge bummer tbh. I don’t feel like having to spend 100 for a midi host box. Has anyone found a solution to any of this?

I also cannot get it to work with a digitact on 1.5.1, in fact not even changing the midi channels for track 1-8 seems to work, it always seems fixed that channel 1 triggers track 1 and so on. Auto channel doesn’t do anything and I also cannot enable track 9-16 as they default to no channel and the settings have no effect here.

However, I am slightly confused. In Ableton + Overbridge midi channel problem - #9 by chrisrich81 @chrisrich81 seems to have gotten it to work somehow but I can’t spot any difference.

After reaching out to Elektron support I figured it out: You can use the overbridge plugin to get audio input but if you’re sending midi it should not go to the plugin but directly to the digitakt.

To make that work, make sure that you enabled “track” for the Digitakt output in the Ableton midi settings (should be called “out: Elektron Digitakt”).

You can then create a new midi track with no noted on it and Ableton’s “External Instrument” instrument. Select the digitakt output (again not the plugin, easiest if you give the track with the plugin a clear name to differentiate them) and channel 10 (the default auto channel) and things work as expected.

Be careful though that this midi track is not set to “All inputs” though. Otherwise pressing a key on your midi controller transmits it to the digitakt which then passes it back to ableton which then passes it back to the digitakt and you have a loop. Either make sure that the channels the digitakt sends on and your midi controller send on are different or explicitly set your midi controller as the input in ableton.

1 Like