Syntakt users: How stable/unstable are your Dual VCOs?

After my post in which I said that I don’t have an Elektron account yet I just contacted the retailer, explained what was wrong and also sent them that audio snippet and the thread link and they said I should return it, so I haven’t contacted Elektron directly, even though I maybe should’ve.
But from the sound of it (they sent me a separate e-mail about it) they’re going to check with Elektron what’s wrong with it or do it themselves.

5 Likes

I have a similar problem - I have to detune the VCO to like 11.80 to get rid of the beating on the default sound. I don’t plan on using the VCO that often, so it’s not a huge deal for me, but it’s a bit odd. If it gets worse I’ll definitely be contacting Elektron.

1 Like

It should work properly for you out of the box. Contact Elektron and let them sort it out for you. There’s no need to wait. I know it’s not fun waiting on gear to be repaired/replaced.

2 Likes

How long had the Syntakt been on when you ran the calibration? Best to leave it on for at least an hour before running it.

1 Like

The manual actually recommends leaving it on for a few hours

3 Likes

Thanks for the advice. I’ll try running the calibration routine a couple more times as well. I missed the line that says to leave it on a few hours before running it, I just thought it said a few minutes.

1 Like

Did another calibration today after leaving the Syntakt on for around 5 hours.
The F now sounds okay’ish. Instead it is C# that sounds incredibly unpleasant now.
Playing up and down the pitches it seems to me like the relative pitch drift is still the same, only it is now orbiting a different pitch.
Unfortunate.

2 Likes

Anyone else still having these issues? I am having to fine tune every single note on all 3 tracks to not get the detuned beating sound. Tried the calibration after being on for a few hours and no luck.

Mine are stable. It’s also recommended to let your unit warm up for a little while before digging in to the analog voices. However, even when not doing that, my voices are fine. I’m aware of others having some issues and I think those might be hardware problems :thinking:

…i also experience some little osc detuning fluctuation twists from time to time, when dubbing with the dual vco some of the digital machines…

keytrack settings of the filters make a difference…but it’s really an analog voice…
it’s stated, they worked on further tune stability compared to the rytm’s dual vco…
while yes, warming up time still makes an obvious difference…
a truu analog/digital hybrid young blood this is…

Did all of that, it’s documented in the thread. Ended up returning it and got a full refund.
The retailer seemed interested in finding out what’s wrong with it but in the end they never followed up on that email.

in the upper end of the range my dual VCO drift a lot, but its the last 3 tones and I wont ever use such high pitch.
BUT I’ve been thinking if it’s related with the fact that I have a hard time keeping VCO FM configs in tune. I mean it’s hard to get a FM sound thats stays in the 12 semitones scale (pardon my english). Ringmod configs are easier to tune but phasey, like an LFO on the filter is applied (but there’s no LFO engaged) so is this normal? I never had true analog gear.

Bad tuning seemed more noticeable for me too with FM settings, I guess it’s more “sensible” because of FM.
Did you hear inconstant things, like different sound after a while ? (power off…on)

1 Like

“FM” = Frequency modulation (linear) with osc 1 as the carrier. (Does not pitch track 100% correct)

“F+R” = Frequency modulation (linear) and Ring modulation (Does not pitch track 100% correct)

2 Likes

they are pretty stable for my expectations, it’s a good first step in the analog realm. Glad I didn’t buy a Model D without a care, I have very little time to make music, let alone fiddling with circuits to calibrate stuff

2 Likes

I was just noticing this, detuned VCO problem on my Syntakt too.
I’ll keep looking for a service level, calibration procedure.

Until I get a handle on tuning, I’ll use the analog tracks for drum/percussion.
Use the digital tracks for tuned instruments.

I have also experienced this problem, although it seems less intense than Argh.
Indeed the sweet spot is at -11.80.
No calibration solved the problem.
Do you think this can be corrected by firmware?
Or do you advise to send the machine back?
(I have opened a ticket at electron, I have not yet had an answer)

I noticed my analog voices were out of tune when I increase TUNE 2 octaves up…

Mine seem pretty variable. On analog tracks 1 and 3 the two oscillators are in tune around each C, but vary wildly inbetween (up to about 0.40 on the detune dial), it seems to be the same on every octave.
On Track 2 they seem stable across the octave. Annoyingly I can’t check track 4, but I wonder if that is another stable one.

Has anyone had any luck creating a support ticket and getting a resolution?

1 Like

Strangely when I go up an octave (same preset and configuration) the sweet spot changes (-11.92).
According to the different CNFG the sweet spot seems to change too…
No answer from Elektron for the moment.

3 Likes