Syntakt : undesired double triggers

Hello colleagues,

My first five minutes in this group…
I just joined the group because I’m freaking out about a very specific issue regarding the Syntakt.
I have had the Syntakt for less than two months, and I really love it, but I have a performance coming up next week and need to solve this. Let’s see if anyone can help me find the conflict.
It’s a small set up but with some complexity, as it runs audio and video at the same time.
I have some controllers connected to a Blokas Midihub, a Mac and an iPad.

The problem is this: sometimes, randomly, without a logic that I can still find, some sequenced Syntakt tracks stop playing. If I trig them, they are there but they don’t sound from the sequencer.
And, what drives me crazy the most, is that when I trigger them, they produce sound when I press the button as well when I release it, responding to note on/note off.
It’s like it gets stuck in that double trigger and the only way to unlock it is to play all the notes until I find the one that’s stuck. As if the note off was stuck.
I don’t know if I’m explaining it well.
I’m almost sure that some MIDI message coming in from one of the sources is causing this… but which one is it? I’ve been dealing with this issue for days and I really can’t get it unlocked.
If anyone has any information to pass on I’d be eternally grateful.

Thank you very much in advance!!

PS: Sorry the messy table… A real work in progress

I don’t know your settings on the Midihub but it looks like you have a MIDI loop. The yellow MIDI cables going Out from the Syntakt to the Midihub then coming back from the Midihub to the Syntakt MIDI In?

1 Like

sorry for the off topic

I love it, so you control resolume from the syntakt?

also, I think you should join this thread:

1 Like

Off topic but at first, I thought @korpinen bought a Syntakt.

1 Like

We do share a similar green it seems. :slightly_smiling_face:

Welcome to the forum @KRNFLD!

2 Likes

I have this same bug. It always happens to me when I use the autochannel, am playing a note in, and then switch channels on the syntakt. The first track will get bugged and start playing on note on and note release, even using the internal keys. I mentioned it a while ago in the syntakt bugs thread here: SYNTAKT Bugs Thread - #307 by warpigs330 And here: SYNTAKT Bugs Thread - #353 by warpigs330

I believe that the issue is caused by the channel not receiving the proper midi note off command after switching channels and letting go of a key.

1 Like

Yes, right. The Syntakt send and receive data. But their IN and OUT are not patched thru and I have applied some filters, so it shouldn’t be any loop going on. But maybe some crazy CC is going thru and sending an undesired command. Maybe something related to Portamento, Pitch Priority, Legato or something like that?
I’ve checked almost all the settings and nothing really solves it.

This one’s from two years ago. It really got worse (my current one is my “travel set”)
:smile:

1 Like

Yes, that’s exactely what I think. But I can’t turn off the auto channel and I couldn’t find a way of turning the note off without having to play 30 notes until find the right one.
There’s a lot of MIDI activity going on here, not easy to handle. But I could apply any filter I want in the Midihub… The problem is that so far I can’t really find what to filter!

Hey, thank you Green-K! :fist_right: :fist_left:

2 Likes

Yeah, this is definitely the most annoying bug on the syntakt to me. I suspect that Elektron are aware though, and I am hoping that the Syntakt sold well enough to justify a long firmware update life. Maybe if you could figure out some way of sending the note off messages before switching channels? I have been looking at the midihub but i dunno if it is that flexible.

2 Likes

The Midihub is one of the most amazing Midi devices ever made. I have four units in my setup. Really limitless.

And how do you deal with this bug when it happens? Some way of turning off-resetting the sound? It’s happening constantly in my set, that’s why I’m desperate now (I’m playing in Island next weekend)

So I have kinda stopped using the Syntakt with midi in as much, so I don’t run into it as often, But my solution was to turn the Syntakt off and back on again. But that is not a great solution.

1 Like

I can see that if you have a AHD on the track you depart that the interrupted midi message is basically leaving the whole sequence in Limbo … the midi event is not concluded on the track you depart and you hear nothing until you play the same note again that was sounding when the recording was redirected

if the departing track is an ADSR the note will ring out eternally as though you were still recoding that event sustaining a key press (sound settings permitting) - then as noted all you need to do to get the sequencer to play ball on the ‘stuck’ track is to retrigger that stuck note

to be fair to Elektron (and the testers) this is a slightly random event - there’s no denying it highlights a bad oversight, but it’s an unusual issue to examine - i.e. what’s the utility in holding a note you are recording and switching tracks

it’s definitely doing as described by @warpigs and i would be amazed if it is not addressed - i can only suggest in the meantime to avoid changing tracks whilst the devices is receiving and recording midi input - particularly on the auto channel

when using the auto channel it does appear that elektron need to monitor track activity and kill off the note that was being recorded in - easy to conceptualise, maybe tricky to catch in practice, but explaining it in these terms will help

it’s an odd one, but it has a big consequence - i don’t expect i will ever come across it, unless deliberately, but here’s hoping it gets ironed out, because the fact that it is possible hints that other consequences are possible that we haven’t considered, no matter how esoteric - it’s a tricky issue to rectify - there’s no need to hunt the offending note imho - i think as the track is effectively erased it may be sufficient to just clear it - as a quick way out - need to test if deleting the track even solves it, it may not tbf - okay it doesn’t - the hung note needs to be ‘resolved’ with a note off

2 Likes

Yes, in this setup I control Resolume from the Syntakt. In my main set up I also control it from the Octatrack, the Akai Force and the Nord Drum.

1 Like

It is interesting. This problem is actually very similar to one that Sam Battle (Look Mum No Computer) had when doing his midi organ, and is the classic type of midi issues that happen when assigning midi between various voices.

Yeah, that’s exactly the problem I’m having. Thanks for this reference to Sam.
I play with more than one controller at the same time and some of them sometimes send the same messages. Sometimes in different Midi channel. Nothing too crazy, let’s say.
I never had this issue with any other machine so it’s probably something that our Elektron friends could fix.

Hey, thanks for your accurate appreciations :upside_down_face:
I’m trying to create some kind of Panic / All notes Off button in one of the controllers. My set is specially made for free improvising and it’s kind of an audiovisual-freejazzpunk, so chaos is contemplated as an option. But of course playing a glissando of notes just to find and turn off the one that’s hang, in front of an audience… that’s not funny.
In Blokas user forum are some developments that can work for creating an emergency exit of this.

2 Likes

Hitting double stop on ST will kill the ST and transport dependents … an okay option if you have a sustaining note

1 Like