Syntakt standalone music

plus mastering

1 Like

Couldn’t agree more about comment of SY and instruments, tweaking endlessly and lots of times you stop and go oh that sounds like a……!

Another make out session yesterday with the SY (…the flute makes a reappearance as well….) file size too big so stuck in my bandcamp:

8 Likes

a little something, the “acid line” is dual vco -> analog fx block distortion

20 Likes

That sounds like Orbital to me, and that’s very much a compliment!

1 Like

Lovely how the different polyrhythems add to the sounds when they drift in and out.:+1:

Awesome slides!:metal:

1 Like

A quick single pattern today.

7 Likes

Exploring Syntakt more as a synth lately which it certainly can do very well.

Do I miss an arp? Yes.
Do the folded keyboard and scale mode rock? Hell yes!

Also they need to add that to the A4, but that’s a mother discussion for another time and place.

Recorded straight into phone - thanks class compliant audio drivers.

8 Likes

I’ve been posting the singles here in the run-up to release (sorry for the spam) but my Syntakt-only album is out now. I wrote it in about 3 weeks right after the Syntakt arrived (thing is approachable) when I was stuck at home with the flu (also during the Australian federal election) so the album is this weird mix of being both very stressed, but also really excited to make weird loud noises on my new toy. It’s somewhere between juke/footwork and techno most of the time. I’m particularly proud of the closing track which is this long, multi-part song about a space shuttle blowing up.

2 Likes

I fired up the Syntakt tonight and had an IDM session.

10 Likes

I have been using the cycles extensively since it came out, and just got a syntakt. From what I can tell the 2op FM tone machine is identical, though with the mod envelope direction reversed where going to the left on cycles contour does the same thing as fully right on syntakt’s mod envelope. Also it has an overdrive which is probably different to cycles. The chord machine is the same functionally, but I believe the actual wavetable is different, so it sounds fairly different. The modern bass drum, pc carbon, and sd basic sound almost identical to model cycles.

The biggest difference I have noticed, and this actually makes certain sounds only possible on cycles and not syntakt, is that in the FM tone machine’s ratio acts slightly different under LFO control. With the cycles the LFO adjusted the ratio in a smooth linear way, like a rising saw tooth would change the pitch of the modulating oscillator smoothly. The ratio control on cycles and syntakt has “sweet spots” that the front panel control sort of wants to settle into. On the syntakt the LFO control has the same mapping as the ratio knob, so that the lfo sounds like it is not going up smoothly, but sort of wobbles into and out of those sweet spots. One sound I would do on the cycles is a rising exponential lfo to ratio, to get the sound of a camera flash charging up sort of, and it isn’t possible to get that sound on the syntakt, because the exponential lfo isn’t actually changing the ratio exponentially. This is also something the digitone cannot really do, smoothly adjusting the pitch of the modulating oscillator over a very wide range.

EDIT after closer examination, it actually seems like they both behave the same with LFOs, and I was just having trouble recreating a sound. But now with the two boxes side by side I can get the tone machines to sound identical.

4 Likes

Interesting. Could you record an audio comparison ?

1 Like

Upon closer examination, I am actually full of shit, and they both seem to behave the same way.

1 Like

:smiley:

7 Patterns of Syntakt running through a Model 1.4 mixer with an Eventide space on the send.
Kind of on the verge of selling it but I thought I would at least get a runthrough of the handful of patterns I made on it!

19 Likes

Made this a short while ago. There were a few dislikes on this particular video, it usually means that it wasn’t that bad :grin:

4 Likes

Aphex Twin is an old man…

:thinking:
With a provocative title like this, you have to be very good and innovative. :sketchy:

1 Like

Yes but he’s a Dr, he knows about geriatrics (I guess). :wink:

1 Like

Elektron did a mixer finally ! :content:

Just posted my 2nd dawless set and a few songs in here are Syntakt Only! The intro for example only uses 2 non-synthesized sounds toward the beginning. The rest of that one is ST!

15 Likes