Syntakt patterns sound different in song mode

Has anyone here noticed that their Syntakt patterns sound different in song mode? It almost sounds like parameters for various sounds get stuck, or are slightly off. Everything sounds fine when selecting/playing them manually.

Hi and welcome. I’ve never noticed this happening on mine. My first thought for how to explain this is that the song could be in a slightly different tempo from the pattern, so some time-based effects or sounds might be out of whack? Have you nailed down any particular parameters that change between the pattern and song?

2 Likes

I have no productive input but your username is awesome. welcome aboard.

2 Likes

Excuse me, their name is Horrific.

Uh, could it be you have made some changes from the saved pattern but not saved them to the project yet, but song mode pulls data from the project’s saved state? (I hope that makes some sense)

3 Likes

Actually, Humanprogram might have been on the ball with this. Could it be a free running LFO that’s on the track level instead of being P locked to a step so that it responds outside of what’s expected when put through song mode with either a change in tempo or some other unknown criteria changed?

1 Like

Thanks for the reply!!! I haven’t been able to pinpoint much, but the patterns are at the same tempo they were at when they were made. They have been slaved to Ableton via Overbridge since their creation, and many of the patterns have quite a bit of automation and were copied to new patterns after being mangled with CTRL ALL in different ways. It seems like song mode is having a hard time updating the parameters as they switch. When switching between them in the same order out of song mode, the transitions are much smoother and fluid as originally intended. Seems like the only way to preserve the sound is to cycle through them manually while recording.

1 Like

Maybe yeah! I’m curious what it could be.

It’d be frustrating to set up a bunch of patterns but they don’t work as expected when arranged in song mode.

2 Likes

Just to clarify, ableton has been sending the pattern change message, but now that it’s arranged in song mode the syntakt is playing them back with audibly different parameters? Is it possible some of the cc’s being sent from ableton are not saved to the patterns?

Just thinking if cc’s are being sent from ableton as changes inside ableton and not as automation in the syntakt sequencer it could have a pretty dramatic impact on the sound.

No cc’s, Ableton is only controlling the tempo. It’s possible that there may be free lfo’s on some tracks and synced lfo’s on others that cause issues when the patterns change in song mode, it’s just odd that everything is fine and transitions smoothly when switching them manually.

1 Like

All patterns have been saved as well as the project.

1 Like

Agree that it’s strange, with any luck someone with a doctorate in syntakt sciences will be along shortly to put an end to our guessing.

1 Like

just for the sake of decorum, if you haven’t already done so, maybe take a look through the syntakt bugs thread and see if someone has already reported something similar? it would make more sense if there was confirmation of a known issue, otherwise it comes down to sifting through sand.

SYNTAKT Bugs Thread - Elektron Gear / Syntakt - Elektronauts

not saying that there isn’t an issue, but if it’s a known issue there’s some small comfort like knowing that the pain in your foot is coming from a rock in your shoe or something equally asinine.