Syntakt or Digitone

I am looking into buying one of these grooveboxes, but I don’t know what to do, I have been messing with the model:cycles for a while, it has dawn to me that I need to move up, what are y’all’s personal preference or recommendations.

Honestly: There are plenty of threads about this.

I love my digitone but honestly, unless polyphony is important to you, you’ll probably want a syntakt. More groovebox style options and more tracks is probably the expansion you’re looking for out from the m:c.

I would suggest looking for an opportunity to try both hands on though.

5 Likes

Lack of polyphony on the Syntakt is a deal breaker for me.

Oh, sorry I didn’t know what to search up in here, there’s usually a lot going on when I enter these forums, my bad, should I take it down?

I own all three of the Digis.

Digitone was my first, followed by Digitakt, then Syntakt.

That being said, I feel that Syntakt is the more straightforward to learn than Digitone in terms of sound design/generation, especially coming from M:C and its machines… But Digitone has polyphony and a focus on deeper FM if that’s your thing. BUT, to use Digitone as a full groove box, you do need to get pretty deep into sound/parameter locks to get more full sounding tracks from the one box. Side note, I sometimes find the Digitone’s 4 track/8 voice limits creatively inspiring in their own way.

Honestly, either is going to be a blast, depending on your preferences. Both are incredibly capable boxes and setting aside the knob-per-func simplicity of the M:C, either seems a significant upgrade.

But doing it all over again? I might personally start with a Syntakt. YMMV

5 Likes

I‘m just saying: you won’t read here any fresh insights. Try „syntakt or digitone“ :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

I’ll delete this thread then … I can’t do that

no keep it open! i love threads like this lol

1 Like

don’t trip. people love any opportunity to restate their same opinions.

15 Likes

Guilty.

1 Like

Hahahaha :woozy_face::partying_face:

Get both, catch em all!

1 Like

I have both. Syntakt is the better groovebox IMO. Digitone is a nice multitimbral polysynth.

3 Likes

don’t delete but it’s good to look at existing threads for perspective, also worth mentioning what type of music you’re after or any other aspects of your workflow that might help suggest you one box over the other

2 Likes

i’ve had all three digi boxes and the m:c - the only one that remains is the syntakt

it’s actually my last and only piece of hardware at the moment

the digitone is awesome but the level of sound design from scratch and economizing the four tracks with sound locks felt like work and sort of took me out of the creative process

a crucial element of the syntakt that doesn’t exist on the other boxes is the fx block and the ability to modulate the fx and analog filter with lfos/parameter locks at the end of the chain- very vibey and very cool

i can go on and on about why i love the syntakt but in the end it’s the most fun piece of gear i’ve ever used and the patterns pretty much just fill themselves

5 Likes

Well, it does vary, sometimes I like to make ambient songs or very repetitive songs … I do want to do other things but I mainly stick with those type of songs

both devices can do either, each with own flavor and pros and cons, for repetitive things both have the Elektron sequencer which is perfect for that, so the real question is sound design.
if you’re looking for polyphony to do chords or track layering for slow evolving weird sounds and deep control - DN is your box, if you’re looking for quick percussion, faster sound design and flexible FX, then ST will suit better.

take a look at these videos:

or for them together (best way to see which is better for you is to try both :wink: ):

5 Likes

Whichever one you choose you’ll end up with the other soon enough :wink:

6 Likes

This is surprisingly accurate :smile:

Coming from a Model:Cycles, you’ll love the Syntakt. It’s an advanced version of the Cycles with a lot of extras.

2 Likes