Syntakt goes granular

Hey, I’m looking for any tips that could help me simulate some granular effects on the syntakt. Most regarding the ability to change the characteristics of the voice being played. Some randomness can help but haven’t accomplished anything tameable. Thanks!

I’ve played with this a bit, and I got the best results setting a high feedback delay and using an exponential LFO to send little bits of audio to it. Setting the delay time to one based on the golden ratio (19.78, 9.89, or multiples of that, forget how I calculated it but it’s like on Strymon delays) will spread the little bits around evenly.

Example (time cued) of this delay timing:

Modifying your delay time with another LFO or sequence might be another idea depending on what you’re going for.

12 Likes

You know that “granular” means “sample-based-algorithms” ? :wink:

The idea of @Humanprogram using a modulated delay is very interesting and creative :+1:

I will try this myself.

Sure. But if you consider a delay as granular, it is one grain, monophonic, without envelope, no pitch control exept tweaking time with boring glitchy results.

With Elektrons : Better results with OT, DT, MD, MS…very limited.

Happy to have a Lemondrop.
I put it in Live Input mode with some gear having audio inputs :
granular delay with feedback.
Didn’t try with Syntakt yet but it should be efficient too…

Absolutely. With some long tailed reverb we could overcome the “one-grain-only” limitation somehow. I didn’t have time to try it myself, but I like the creative “abuse” of gear and think it could give some interesting results, even if glitchy ones :wink:

Wasn’t Karplus-Strong a creative utilization of feedback and delay?

1 Like