Syntakt, but what next?

So, I’m fairly new to the Elektron world. Got a Syntakt for Christmas and have the bug. It has been a great box to play with but I feel I require something more and was looking for some advice/suggestions.

The music I make is either 90s-esque pop-industrial metal (NIN, Filter etc I play along to patterns with my guitar) or heavily rumbled techno. The Syntakt is almost there with helping me make these from the sofa and DAWless but not quite.

The things I feel I am missing are:
Samples. I add lots of metallic clangs etc
Resampling. Being able to resample that kick rumble would be great and not use two/three tracks to get it
Per-track effects (particularly reverb). Again to cut down on track usage for the rumble

I had been looking at a Digtakt. But then realised that the Octatrack and Analog RTM Mk2 were also contenders. I’m also within my exchange period on the Syntakt, so could trade up.

Options I thought of are:
Keep Syntakt, add Digitakt. The cheapest option (if Digi is 2nd hand). Gives samples and resampling. However, more boxes which makes it less portable and more wires on the sofa.

Keep Syntakt and add Octatrack. Is the most expensive option. I get per channel effects. resampling and samples. However this loses overbridge which I quite like for when I eventually need to get the tracks into my DAW.

Trade Syntakt for Analog Rtm Mk2. Is the second most expensive at a few hundred £ more than the Syntakt/Digitakt option. Gets all options in one box and gives most things needed. However, not sure if the sampling is as good as the Digitakt or Octatrack.

Are there any options I missed. Obviously getting all would be the best, but I do not live in that timeline.

Cheers.

Ok so you’re using a DAW.

Your DAW can do that.

11 Likes

My vote would be OT if samples and per channel effects are the most important. It also gives you a hell of a lot of options for playing with those samples and even putting extra effects on the ST too.

Don’t forget you can feed the OT into the ST and get it into your DAW that way, you just wouldn’t be able to use the OT effects on the ST, or have all channels split out individually.

1 Like

I’ve done this dance a bit. More than one device just gets to be a pain on a sofa. I advise against it. The simplest thing is to just add a laptop and use the DAW. You can do that at the living room table or something. Syntakt connects through Overbridge with one USB cable. It is the audio interface too. It is even the midi controller if you like. Everything you were missing is right there in a DAW, especially once you process the tracks separately using Overbridge.

And you are probably wanting to record anyway, so that goes to a DAW anyway.

4 Likes

As others suggested, maybe first try working with the DAW. I would advice against getting another device so shortly after you fell in love with Syntakt. Maybe first try its limits when combined with a DAW.

If that’s not an option, I feel like AR is the best solution from what you are describing. If you’re worried about portability, you could also look for a used AR MKI. Can’t sample directly through inputs though (but resample internally I think). You also still have to set effects parameters for all channels. But you get an fx channel for plocking that you don’t have on DT. Only 1 LFO per track though, DT has 2 and OT 3. Performance macros on AR on the other hand are quite useful and you get (not too great) pads. The 12 channels have several choke groups, might also be a limitation (or a benefit, depends on your use case). It has a characterful “analog” sound which might be great for your industrial music, but makes it a bit harder to tame in a mix.

DT & Syntakt is more cables than only AR. But both together are still a bit smaller than AR MK II. AR MKI is about the size of DT&ST (exactly the size of OT). AR MKII imo has a great form factor for putting it on your lap, the angle is quite useful for that.

OT might be overkill for what you are describing. Could be useful if you plan to play longer backing tracks through it, but your DAW could also do that.

2 Likes

Digitakt. The form factor and workflow perfectly complement the Syntakt. The effects, tho not per track, are great, and re-sampling is a doddle. Also, with overbridge you can just tackle per track effects in your DAW. Octratrack would be overkill, along with no overbridge functionality (this seems to open up a whole can of worms for some people further down the line), and you may or may not find the flavour of the OT’s effects to be to your liking… The AR may or may not be a good move, i found the sound of it to be a bit one-note, tho the master compression/distortion is lovely. But-

You’re correct, it isnt. Its much more basic and rudimentary than the digitakt.

Or, as someone else has said, you have a DAW, and your DAW will cover all of these bases, so dont rule that out either

5 Likes

Thanks for the suggestions so far.

My DAW can do a lot of these things. I have been running Syntakt into my laptop. I would like to be able to not have the laptop though. I am too easily distracted :rofl:

I find myself on forums asking questions instead of making music.

3 Likes

I feel you. There are many people here using hybrid setups that might have good tips on how to best work with a laptop + ST without looking at the screen too much.

You might also buy a used AR MKI or DT and see if it suits you. But then you would spend more time buying and learning the instrument instead of making music.

how often do you use the synth engines on the syntakt? i dont think there’s anything quite like that.

the digitone is deeper but less tracks and arguably less variance in timbre

the rytm mk2 would replace syntakt if you didnt need the synth engines

the a4 would replace it if you had another drum machine or digitakt

it’s kind of good for a singular elektron machine setup

but i think the octa is the best way to get out of the daw

My wishlist exactly. All that and synthesis in one box.

Another box in the digi line/format (or an upgrade to syntakt) would suit me very well.

Currently exploring another box that combines sampling and synthesis (not interested, at present, in combining two boxes for that. All in one box is my aim.)

Turn the internet off. Its not hard.
Cheaper than buying another machine too.

5 Likes

Blackbox could be worth looking into if you want to add additional samples etc and keep things portable.

I’d also recommend to stick to your DAW (or alternatively go for the digitakt).

This video might be useful for you: It shows you how you can expand the integration of the syntakt and your DAW:

1 Like

I have come to love my digitakt and digitone setup. I create in a similar genre and have never felt a desire to branch out, sound-wise. There are an incredible amount of samples out there which, once inside the digitakt, require only minimal tweaking to feel more like your own. Also, the ability to sample sounds out of the digitone frees up its tracks for additional layering of the kits in the digitakt, etc. I know people love the syntakt, I haven’t played one, but my rec would be adding a digitakt or getting a takt and tone.

1 Like

(Looks like there’s not straight-forward answer, but my 2 cents).

OT is expensive and from all I’ve read might suck up a lot of your time.
AR is an amazing drum machine, but isn’t really much of a synth (aside from the DVCO).

Not sure if this would suit your workflow, but what I can imagine is creating sounds on the Syntakt, and them sampling those into the Digitakt. Then use the Digitakt to jam on the couch. So Syntakt as soundsource, Digitakt as sampler/sequencer.

Some more good points here. Thanks.

Got a possibility of a decent priced second hand Digitakt so think I’ll try that out. In the meantime I have Syntakt triggering loops perfectly in Ableton now, with the rumble coming from the DAW too. Going DAWless will be tricky, no hardware quite does it all.

Keep in mind that if you add anything in addition to one single box, you have to mess with cables and can’t conveniently jam from the sofa anymore.

1 Like

The MPC sort of does. But why are you looking to go dawless?

If you can afford it, I would get a Digitakt and keep your DAW, of course :slight_smile:

Your DAW has for sure more sampling capabilities than the Digitakt but the Digitakt can play them in the “Elektron way” :wink:

I would go with ST + DT + DAW and that would be a deadly combo. When you get what you need in your DAW, put it in your DT and you’re done and can keep working “DAWless” with the 2 Elektron boxes.

Getting the AR if you already have the Syntakt isn’t needed (as the Syntakt covers the analog machines and has digital ones) and the Digitakt will bring your more possibilities.

3 Likes

Digitakt.

Then mount them together using the VESA holes on the bottom.

ST+DT in my opinion is better than the other options. That’s me of course, but there’s not much this combo can’t do.

Edit: I have an FPD drawing for a plate to mount two of this format together. You just place the order with Front Panel Express (Schaefer in Europe) and that’s it.

I’m happy to share it.

4 Likes