Syntakt, but what next?

I’ve been somewhat through that rabbit hole, and ended up noticing that the Syntakt can do everything and complete arrangements after all (currently I own - in Elektron Gear - Syntakt, Digitakt, Digitone and Analog Four.)

• Kick rumble can be done in one track (you can even LFO the reverb send if you really want reverb for the rumble) …
  • Metallic clangs can be done with tone and alloy …
  • Soundpool!

In this song, I’ve used 3 tracks for the brass section (hard panned low note + the high note) and 2 for this staccato background noises. So theoretically, I could’ve freed up two more, or use sy bits instead of swarm and have three free tracks (because sy bits can do pwm and can play two different notes instead of just one.) The kick (not a rumble one) is layered. And I didn’t even use soundpool :wink:

… however, if you need 909 hihats, then Digitakt :stuck_out_tongue:

20 Likes

Yeah, but…

77d6xo

29 Likes

@Jeanne That tracks is card as nails. Nice. Is that just the Syntakt and no post processing? If so I agree with @Fin25

Kick rumble in one track is something I haven’t achieved yet, though I am getting rumble as nice as I do with my DAW so happy there. Are the tutorials of kick rumble on one track?

Thinking that the Syntakt Digitakt option makes the most sense (plus is cheapest next to not buying anything new). Plus the workflow on them is the same

1 Like

I have an octa and love the heck out of it but for sampling and fx (and general workflow into a daw over usb c) I’d suggest a 404 mk II. NO, you can’t really track out individually but you can get all your stems on pads with FX and then dump to a daw and line them up.

… no post processing :wink:

One method for kick and rumble on one track is to just put an LFO on the kick and make it so that the amplitude goes down and up again. It has the advantage that it will be supertight and no issues will be introduced.

@fin25 I’m still rolling on the floor :joy:

9 Likes

If you want to add samples the easy way I suggest a Digitakt or 1010 Blackbox which is a brilliant little device. I do have an Octatrack and while it’s not as mindbendingly difficult to learn as some suggest, it’s a good number of steps up the complexity/difficulty ladder from DT or BB.

1 Like

oh yeah, something smaller or really small … like a Teenage Engineering PO-33 … so it’s not “two boxes”, where one falls off the knee, but one box with a little something on the side on the Sofa …

3 Likes

@ezilybored see? Do what @Jeanne does

Got machine, get good with it.

No other gear needed.

4 Likes

Exactly! The BB is quite capable for something so tiny. I haven’t tried the PO-33 but that one and the Microtonic one always seemed like pretty nice little items.

1 Like

Haven’t had an AR, however I have had the DT and currently the OT. It’s your money & your time and such so I would take in what you can if your yearning for some specific features. My recommendation would be the Digitakt. You already have an analog drum machine in the Syntakt unless you trade it and samples can get you there no problem. However effects you can do after the fact or get a small external unit.

The OT does too much in ways. Having it for 2yrs now getting familiar enough with it is slow. If your serious then templates of a workflow are important to have spontaneous use otherwise you can get stuck in the constantly learning and not getting things done. The Digitakt is a great intro and it’s still quite flexible if you want to try different approaches. It is very much more to the point while still giving you as many options as you can imagine. You can create effects using resampling and controls or p-locking and more. The OT is really for the serious performer. But you don’t have to be one to enjoy it.

If you don’t need delay much, then a timed and filtered delay line works well too :wink:

Those two are great, as well as the Megaman one for synth lines. More versatile than it appears.

I have the Rytm and Octa, have owned a DT. For your use case, I’d go option 1. If what you want is sampling/resampling workflow, Digitakt is a good way to go. The Rytm can be a sampler, but it has limitations in resolution of start/end, LFO, choke groups. The DVCO is awesome for bass, but you have that with Syntakt.

The channel FX on the OT are quirky, to say the least. The reverb certainly isn’t as lush as the modern boxes. Everything else should be achievable with resampling with external FX. I wouldn’t get the OT unless you really want to get into loops. As just an FX box, there are certainly better solutions, unless you want to lean into scenes/performances, in which case it gets crazy.

But others have a good point. Learn your new gear some more. Push yourself until you hit the wall. Once you hit your limits, you’ll know better what you need

+1 for BB. I am biased as I have two… but they are delightful machines. Syntakt + BB would be quite the combo. While the FX on the BB are lacking the ability to easily sample and playback super duper long samples is what makes it attractive.

If you like modulation and FX after what you are creating… the DT is fun but limited in playback as well as mono.

“Just” do what @Jeanne does and then consider a sampler. Otherwise have fun melting faces!

1 Like

Can DAWs really sample though? Or do people mean use the DAW as a sample player/ editor? I find it’s not very fun to direct sample into a computer DAW.

Clip workflows can absolutely feel like a sampler. I sample all of my gear this way. I am partial to Bitwig but other daws can achieve the same workflow.

That’s truly great, love your style, need some hard liquor now to go with it though :slight_smile:

1 Like

Still couldn’t figure out how to make a kick rumble with only one or two tracks and without using a reverb… would you mind explaining it ?

1 Like

I’ve narrowed my choice down to Digitakt, Blackbox or SP404 mk2. Have found second hand for all. My decision may be decided by the fates of the online auction.

@technolover303 I still haven’t got it yet either. Going to be playing around later today.

For those asking why I need to not use laptop. I also use my laptop for work. I’m a web dev so need to keep a lot of stuff open and running while I also make music. It isn’t ideal, but it’s what I have.

I’ve also just been informed that my studio room is to become my sons “teenage bedroom” so my music space is going to be severely downsized soon :rofl:

I know what you face :sweat_smile: having children made my studio smaller too !

I think you made the good choice. Even if the AR is awesome you would have missed the ST digital machines for sure :slight_smile:

1 Like