SYNTAKT Bugs Thread

That fixed it! Thanks for the follow-up.

1 Like

Just discovered something odd. Can someone varify:

On one of the first three analog voices, load the machine BD Hard. Is the TICK parameter very obviously a hard click when you set it to a high value? Or is the effect very subtle?

Now, in your DAW listen to the same analog voice through overbridge and set the TICK to a high value. Very obviously a very hard click.

A post was merged into an existing topic: The Syntakt Feature Request Thread

Anybody? :slight_smile:

Sorry I donā€™t use OB yet !

1 Like

Is the click on you BD Hard on the analog voices a very obvious bright and hard click when set to max? Or is it rather subtle?

Seems subtle to me, but definitely hearable, like a short hipassed noise.
(TICK maxed, SNAP set to 0).

Harder to hear it with max overdrive.
Easier to hear it using a very low noteā€¦C0.

So you mean on yours itā€™s hard, and harder with OB ?

(Personally I prefer without Tick for clean kicks, I prefer Snap).

Big difference. First is OB and this is what the parameter is supposed to sound like. The second one is from the physical output.

Indeed. But it is very surprising, logically, with OB or not, the tick should go to analog path before main or OB.
Unless there is a specific routing for that tick ?
It definitely goes thru the filter for meā€¦

There shouldnā€™t be. Itā€™s just part of the chosen machine. So the OB version is not how it sounds for you either right?

Mmm canā€™t compare with decent monitoring now. Please share your settings. Btw I rather use the first sine waveform (didnā€™t you used tri and/or overdrive).

The other settings donā€™t really matter tbh. The TICK parameter is literally a click added to the kick. In OB the range is very obvious on that parameter. Within the machine itself itā€™s way too subtle. Even on a phone speaker you should be able to tell if the click is added when set to max. If not, then itā€™s confirmed that it is indeed very subtle when not using OB. Which is weird.

2 Likes

This is perhaps more evident in the contrast you present

I compared listening to the ST Direct and using it as a core audio soundcard to capture and play the same as level matched as I could

Thereā€™s clearly a greater clarity of that tick when alternating from 0-127 when playing back the recording

I tried looking at all the routing options to see if there was any way a filter could have slipped into one chain - so I set the filters off - still the same difference

Itā€™s arguably subtle enough to miss unless tuning stuff (and comparing recs) on details like that is your bag

My gut feeling is that this should also manifest with other parameters to some extent - in which case itā€™s a broader issue

It would be interesting to learn what could account for this change for sure

It might not be a bug, but a quirk we have to accommodate, but for now it doesnā€™t make sense to me, nor seem desirable

somehow the on device playback seems a wee bit filtered

Whether on-device or ADC is not as intended is something Elektron can answer - it may be that the ADC or its path to delivery is adding something - a bit like the DT captures which arenā€™t neutral

Thereā€™s something different about the relative clarity of the tick though :thup:

1 Like

Iā€™m closer to OB version. With your physical version I barely hear the tick, not the case with my STā€¦
What is your overdrive setting ?

1 Like

Where is that ADC ā€¦ !!?

OD setting has no real influence unfortunately. Even if it did it was set to the same for both recordings as the recordings were recorded simultaneously;)

Yeah itā€™s very odd. On my unit the difference is so huge that I really suspect something is wrong. Thanks for checking!

The reason why I think the OB version is the right one is because the on-device version is so subtle that it barely adds anything significant to the sound. Other than most of not all parameters on all machines which have a pretty obvious range.

The click that can be hear through OB is also actually very useful :slight_smile:

I reported the issue to elektron . Curious what their findings are.

1 Like

Big difference for me.
With MAX OD, I barely can hear the difference between TICK 0 and 127.

If you clearly hear the tick in OBridge with MAX OD, for me it would mean the audio path is different for the tick with OBā€¦

Iā€™ll try an USB recording later this week-endā€¦

Btw I think it would be easier for comparisons to make tests with default sound (Trk + Clear), note C5, Snap 0, Tick 127.
Eventually tests with OD 0/64/127

Iā€™m wondering if someone can confirm this bug please ā€¦.
MIDI machine ā€¦ filter page ā€¦ it states in the manual that CCs 70-77 from an external controller (in my case set to auto channel, though was the same when set on the same as the MIDI output channel) should change VAL1-8 on that page.
I diligently set up my MPK249 to send these CCs from the faders, but it looks like they are affecting only some of the VALs and of those also in the wrong order. Another issue is that VAL 4 on turns a small amount
Iā€™ve checked the CCs are correct from the MPK and also tried a new project. Same issue

1 Like

What I meant is that it has no influence on this comparison :slight_smile: . Obviously it changes the character of the kick and thus the click at higher settings as it gets more distorted. But here the difference is there and itā€™s big between Overbridge and non-overbridge. OD has no influence in that difference other than making it harder to hear at very high OD settings.

In this case the overdrive is not set that high. think at 30 or something.

The reason why other settings donā€™t really matter is because the difference is like night and day (as can be heard in the sound clips I provided). Itā€™s not a subtle difference regardless of the other settings :). Will provide the exact settings later though.

1 Like