SYNTAKT Bugs Thread

Is there a pattern to using FUNC with the knobs? On some parameters it jumps to one specific value, regardless of the direction I turn the knob, in others it jumps to highest and lowest values, in others it jumps in (more or less meaningful) steps.

Think I may have found another bug and reported as well. Will update once I get info from elektron about it.

Press FX button on syntakt and then hold down FUNC key and then turn the level / data knob while holding FUNC key and a pop-up window says “ONLY ON SOUND TRACKS” and it just stays there and never disappears. The only way I’ve seen to clear the pop-up is by clicking “no”… but I would assume the box would disappear after a few seconds of warning but it doesn’t.

Digging the new update. Had a bit of a bug though I wonder if anyone can recreate to confirm. I found that if I try to copy mixer page 3 to another pattern, it does not copy the page and instead effects what seems to be the filter or something for me. Basically I had the IN LR up to 50 on one patter and wanted to paste the mixer page3. After doing so my track 5 had strange filtering behavior but I couldn’t locate the change. Copying mixer pages 1 and 2 seemed to be fine.

Had a bit of a weird one while troubleshooting some OB problems yesterday (said OB problems were fixed and unrelated to the update). I booted into test mode (hold [FUNC] while powering on). Ran the tests, no problems, then booted into the Syntakt properly. Not sure if any of that is relevant, but figured I’d include it anyway.

Going into the USB Config menu, switching to USB Midi and back to Overbridge mode crashed the Syntakt with an error message saying to turn the device off and back on. Turned it back on, had the same issue. Factory reset and reinstalling the updated firmware seemed to fix it.

The issue with the “compatible track” indicator (or filter) when p-locking sounds from the sound pool is still there (Syntakt 1.00 : bug reports - #89 by bram2000).

Basically there’s an exclamation point after sounds that cannot be loaded on the current track, but it is often obscured by the name of the sound. Ideally this list would just be filtered such that you could only select a sound that is compatible with the current track.

The fact that the ! Is there is an implicit indication it’s not an actual bug. The indicator I mentioned here(below) is still a compromise of sorts, i.e. The inverted text.

No doubt only showing viable options would be faster, but have a thought about why it’s been designed as is. What about when you copy a track from 1 to 9, should it not show the selected (false) locks !?

Ask Elektron for a response or suggest a FR

I also have some wierd problems after the update. 1.01

The FX envelopes do not seem to work at all. Which seem strange since the update was about that…

Also the key combination TRK + func in step mode would in the earlier OS let me open the mute mode temporarily. I find that behaviour also in the Digitakt when I remember right.
It seems to be switched around since func +TRK opens it. But then it switches into Keybord mode as well, which sends me out of step mode… clear?

Then pressing TRK + func for a couple of times makes the machine crash…

The envelopes work here, are you sure that you haven’t muted the FX track

In any case - it won’t help to resolve it unless you describe steps and setup

As ever, always sanity test in a new project with nothing else connected to rule out changed settings

1 Like

What you’re experiencing here is the delayed response to your input

The shortcut to quick Mute Mode is {hold}[FUNC] then tap/toggle green Track buttons

When you press the FUNC ‘shift’ key it is doing this until you follow up with TRK which opens the Keyboard view

If you hold Func+Trk you get the Keys setting menu

I haven’t tried TRK+FUNC - but there’s no reason to, it’s not a valid input combination

If it’s crashing the machine it’s an oversight/bug that needs reporting/fixing

My fault… the FX was muted.
It works as expected.
Thank you.

3 Likes

That is strange, since it is for some time the quick way I get into temporary Mute Mode when I’m in Step Mode. This also works on Digitakt. It does not work on the Digitone. It worked in Syntakt 1.0

It feels quite important to quickly go from Setp Mode to Mute Mode and back.

And in the 1.01 it works the wrog way around as FUNC+TRK but that clashes with the Keyboard Mode

From the manual:

7.10 MUTE MODE

You can use MUTE mode to mute any of the 13 sequencer tracks (including the FX track). All tracks are
accessed simultaneously. Press any of the [TRIG] keys to mute the corresponding track. Press again to
unmute. The color of the [TRIG] keys indicates its tracks mute status. Dimmed keys signify muted tracks.
Lit keys signify unmuted tracks.
There are two different versions of MUTE mode on the Syntakt:

GLOBAL MUTE MODE

In GLOBAL MUTE mode, the muted tracks are muted in all patterns, and the trig [TRIG] keys are lit green.
Press [FUNC] + [BANK] to enter GLOBAL MUTE mode. If a track is muted in GLOBAL MUTE mode, the
track’s [TRIG] key LED will flash green when the pattern plays.

PATTERN MUTE MODE

In PATTERN MUTE mode, the muted tracks are muted only in the active pattern, and the trig [TRIG] keys
are lit purple.
Press [FUNC] + double-tap [BANK] to enter PATTERN MUTE mode. If a track is muted in
PATTERN MUTE

mode, the track’s [TRIG] key LED will flash purple when the pattern plays.
Press [FUNC] + [BANK] to exit MUTE mode.
The GLOBAL MUTE mode settings are saved together with the project. The PATTERN MUTE mode
settings are saved together with the pattern.

In MUTE mode you mute the trigs on the sequencer tracks, not the audio on the tracks.

• You can also use QUICK MUTE to mute and unmute sequencer tracks. Press and hold
[FUNC] and then press the [TRACK] keys to mute or unmute tracks.
• Syntakt remembers the last used version of MUTE mode and will access this one first
when you press [FUNC] + [BANK]. This also applies to QUICK MUTE.

2 Likes

I fixed the quote in that post for clarity

TRK+FUNC may indeed have worked for you, but i think that was the bug - FUNC should not have been selectable, and it no longer is

If you want to access Mute Mode, then you have to do so with the Normal Mute mode entry method

FUNC+BANK

then after you release FUNC

FUNC+BANK to return to Step edit mode

FUNC+TRK shouldn’t work the wrong way round

It only provides Keys mode (when you release)

If it’s doing any shortcut to Mute then that’s the unintended behaviour

FUNC in any other mode is for Temp Mute

Describe your exact steps in order for it to be confirmed, but essentially you’d be consigning your hack to history as it’s not intentional as a shortcut

1 Like

Well I was talking about a quick way to temporarily enter the Mute Mode when you are in Grid Recording ( sorry my wording was not correct there ). TRK+FUNC worked and it is very useful. I can’t see a reason to take it away.
You can try it on the Digitakt where it still works.

2 Likes

I just tried this on digitakt and it does indeed work the way you said in grid mode! Hitting TRK+FUNC does show you mute mode on digitakt! Does not work on syntakt for some reason! Weird that there’s no mention of it in the digitakt manual either but it does work.

Also they need to reword the manuals I believe for digitone, digitakt and syntakt because when they say [FUNC] + [TRACK] it’s a bit confusing. They’re calling “track” a trig key, and not the [TRK] button.

“You can also use QUICK MUTE to mute and unmute sequencer tracks. Press and hold
[FUNC] and then press the [TRACK] keys to mute or unmute tracks.”

I would have worded it something along the lines of:

You can also use QUICK MUTE to mute and unmute sequencer tracks. Press and hold
[FUNC] and then press any [TRIG] to mute or unmute them.

Because FUNC+TRK does nothing but enter keyboard mode.

2 Likes

My guess is that it got mixed up in the 1.01 update. It was working fine in the version before. And you must admit, it is damn useful.

2 Likes

Not sure if this is a bug. When I preview some of the quick preview some of the sounds using [ FUNC ] + [ YES ] while the track is playing, they seem to execute at total full volume and ignore the master volume pot. For some percussive sounds this makes me want to throw my headphones across the room. I’m not sure if this is by design or if this is all inside of my head.

Whilst this makes no sense to me as the output is attenuated by the pot, If that was the case, then why would it be some and not others and secondly if the volume pot was zeroed, it would still happen (if ignoring said pot)

Probably worth loading a ‘loud’ sound and a ‘normal’ one on a couple of tracks and compare their relative volumes. They’re probably just configured very differently or have resonant filters or something

2 Likes

Ah, I will do the comparison of ‘loud’ and ‘normal.’ If I can reproduce the issue I will make a video and post it here. As you’ve said there might just be a large relative gap between the way the two are gain staged. I do wish there was some of safe mode so I wouldn’t have to worry about blowing my ears out or having to turn down the master output when previewing new sounds.

1 Like

Want to see if anyone has any thoughts on this one:
MIDI track trig preview only plays root note.

When I place a trig on a MIDI track, I can preview it by hitting [TRIG] + [YES]. All good.
However, if I add notes 2, 3, or 4, the preview still only plays the root note, not any of the others. Playing the sequence plays all notes as expected, but not the preview.
For frame of reference, my Digitakt plays all notes during a preview.

2 Likes