Synesthesia Intros Pipes, A Compact Sound Module

if only the mpc live could be used as a multitimbral module :joy:

On reflection, youā€™re probably right! Win3.1 FTW

1 Like

It looks interesting , iā€™n not bothered that it canā€™t sample , and would need to set things up with a small usb controller
(It has lots of midi ins)

Iā€™m finding that I lose interest in doing my own patches , I have nord modular , reactor , axoloti ā€¦ I tinker with a simple fx patches but ultimately use other peopleā€™s complicted patches after the novelty has worn off.

Iā€™d like something like this for big stems / multisampled sound banks and nice fx though.
They should get a ui artist involved too , wouldnā€™t take too long to create consistent icon style , colour and menu guidelines.

Mpe seems to be a new buzzword being used a lot , Iā€™m not sure itā€™s useful for me as Iā€™m not a keyboard player , Iā€™m ok with velocity - volume / filter etc at the moment . I donā€™t plan to get touche or roli seaboard any time soon ,ā€¦ for anyone who can play Iā€™m sure itā€™s useful.

Think youā€™re right. A UI overhaul would be welcome and should/could match the aesthetics of the hardware nicely. Should be achievable in a software update.

The ui is max4live / pd , or whatever , so any user could do it , but I think setting up polished / consistent templates could ultimately give it a much better day1 feel about it.

If I didnā€™t already have multiple barely used programmable boxes , iā€™d Probably order one

Itā€™s on Kickstarter

I donā€™t quite get these ā€œthe most powerful instrument/sampler/audio device ever madeā€-deals without an input for direct sampling. Seems weird.

3 Likes

Well, Iā€™m interested.

Got a couple of sequencing/audio mangling samplers now. What I donā€™t have is a multitimbral sample player, other than my IOS devices, and under $500 seems reasonable for such a machine. The dealbreaker would be if they made it extra cumbersome to transfer samples from my Octatrack, iPhone, OP-1 or whatever to the Pipes.

Itā€™ll be interesting to see what emerges on that front though I had expected it might be clunky pc-transfer type workflow, who knows?

Iā€™ve ordered one, moreso as it seems to be a openly programmable organelle-pd-like midi toolbox linked to a ā€˜instantaneousā€™ (but closed code) sample database with some post FX (but closed code) capabilities on top. Almost a portable Kontakt in some respects.

Iā€™m planning on it being my hardware sample library; will use a few single instrument multis, but more likely organise as 128 sample project kits

I got in on the ā€˜Founderā€™s Clubā€™ tier, so lowest cost for the 128GB model which isnā€™t a huge financial risk, but I must admit recent updates have left me rather flat.

If you follow the KS youā€™ll see Iā€™ve not been holding back on my comments and thankfully it does at least seem that my comments of a couple of days ago have encouraged a little more detail from them, including the above videoā€¦

1 Like

I was really interested in this device when it was first announced, but I felt as though it was poorly explained, particularly with regards to general operations. I guess what Iā€™m saying is, despite the literature, I was unable to really visualize the workflow and therefore determine the potential of it, mostly because of the verbiage the developer uses. Even this video leaves a lot to the imagination. Maybe itā€™s just me, or maybe itā€™s because theyā€™re trying to avoid calling it a rompler or whatever, to make it seem like something more ground-breaking than what it is. Either way, itā€™s a shame because, if itā€™s as capable as I think it is, then it would be a useful tool for working professionals like myself, but a lot has been lost in the lingo and the sales spraff.

Cheers!

For my intended use, which is just to have access to a whole load of loops/one-shots which I can trigger from a controller or sequencer during a live jam itā€™s going to be fine.

There have been a few snips of workflow shown (albeit with the development UI) which leads me to believe itā€™s going to be simple enough (i.e. no worse than any other similar devices) to set up.

They said itā€™s going to be able to parse most of the common packed sample formats anyway, to quote:

Import, manipulate and play your own samples. Pipes supports ALL major formats including these: WAV, AIF, MDA, EXS, NKI, SFZ, GIG. Pipes is fully MPE compatible as well!

On the Kickstarter Vince showed an example of their MDA multisample convention, which looks like itā€™ll be similar to something like the open .SFZ soundfont format, so shouldnā€™t be too much of a headache to edit complex instruments externally either.

1 Like

The GUI looks now much (x10) more pleasing.

Glad to see that early '90s webpage look gone ā€¦ :wink:

Looking more interesting! I like the simple steel look too.

1 Like

Seems to have lot of possibilities in this little box. Looking forward to have mine. Can be a good companion for things like OT/MPC samplers.

Nah, thatā€™s just a prototype in an unfinished caseā€¦ :wink:

Until you go to edit one of the tweakers and it pops up the native Puredata window which is way too tiny and fiddly to edit with your fat fingersā€¦ 0:33 or 2:20 in that video as examplesā€¦

Looks like a larger Blackbox without the buttons.

They seem to be edging towards release.
To be fair the whole pipes/PD midi engine piece now seems a major part of the offering, which is intriguing.
This may be a far more complex creative tool than a BB/break tweaker alternative.
More like an organelle scriptable midi engine with high speed multi sample & effects library toolbox plus a rich GUI.
Still looking forward to it as it fits my compact noodling nerd sidecar leanings.

1 Like