Syncable delay pedals?

Reading through some older threads on Gearslutz, seems like the Memory Boy (or any pedal with tap tempo input) can be fed a CV/Gate (?) to sync tempo.

What’s everyone using for external delays with their Four/Keys? The built-in delay is ok, but I’d like an external unit that offers more colour, etc.

Strymon timeline has midi in And out .

TC Electronic Flashback X4

Cheaper and ver good!!

1 Like

Eventide H9

1 Like

OTO BIM has midi sync

Second the Eventide H9, I have the Max, although never tried the MIDI sync with it.

One cool trick with TimeFactor : Tape delay mode makes it possible to keep 2 Mono INs → 2 Mono OUTs so I can get two mono synths in there and don’t melt the signals.
Another cool aspect is that is less loved than Timeline and thus easy to find for a low price (got mine for 270€)

1 Like

I bought the Alter Ego X4. Very similar, but suits the more “old skool” sound I wanted. It’s MIDI syncable.

Tonal Recall looks badass for experimental delay stuff. CV + Midi (via empress midi box or new adaptor cable, £2 on ebay) I think.

1 Like

Yes I can confirm you can midi sync the H9 both by USB and standard midi connections

1 Like

Might want to also look at Source Audio Nemesis. Full featured delay comparable to timeline (no looper though) but cheaper.

1 Like

I ended up grabbing one of these. Still not #1 I’m keeping it though.

Line6 M5 syncs to midi clock! And has expression input and is too cheap to trust

Hello there,

Reviving this old topic to see if there are new options. I like to make music by just running a synth into a delay, a bit like this:

But I want to sync that to my Digitakt for the full techno experience so I need MIDI sync. I also need a pedal that can handle tempo divisions (i.e. I send 120 BPM but the pedal can handle eighth, quarter, and half notes by tweaking the time knob).

Do the Strymon Timeline or the TC Flashback x4 do that? What are you using to achieve similar results?

Thanks!

P.S. Sorry for any 0-Coast GAS resulting from viewing that vid.

2 Likes

I’ve had good results with a Bastl Thyme clocked by CV, though it can also sync over midi with clock divisions too. All parameters on the Thyme are controllable by midi cc as well, and as it has numerous programmable “robots” to adjust the knob settings in a fashion somewhat akin to both motion control and LFO, things can get very interesting.

It also has a built-in sequencer for arranging presets, also clockable to an external source.

2 Likes

It seems to be an instrument of its own! Very interesting proposition. I love the glitchyness of the vids I’m seeing.

1 Like

Yep, it can do Karplus-Strong synthesis in some manner too, apparently, though I’ve not really looked into that aspect. It often leads to lost hours that seem to end up disappeared into an endlessly variable wondrous sound void…

Full manual here: https://bastl-instruments.github.io/thyme/manual.html#/Digital_Tape_Machine

1 Like

In the same category of glitchy delays falls the Red Panda Particle. I’m currently selling my V1 which can’t be synchronized to tempo.

But on their website it is said that the V2 will be able to sync to clock, although not with the initial firmware:
https://redpandalab.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/43000485457-does-the-particle-2-receive-midi-clock-

So that is/(will be) a contender too!