Swung through Bon Iver rehearsals yesterday

I only snapped a few pics, but DANG! Lots of good gear, including the OT MKII
and a load prophets. I think at least 4 Prophets on stage. I also made sure to grab a photo of the Onespots on stage. Because THEY ARE GREAT AND ANYONE WHO SAYS OTHERWISE IS A LIAR.

38 Likes

Nice one, been enjoying the new album. Nice to see he’s still rocking the OP1 as well. How do you know the band?

2 Likes

I’ve known Justin since we were kids, and my wife and I make Fx pedals that he often buys.
Between those two factors we get some pretty cool privileges :wink:

23 Likes

but if you told the guy playing with your yellow one in that picture up top it was some kinda theremin thing - your cool privileges might be short lived :wink:

@Aen thanks for sharing. I’m a fan and love seeing that octatrack (and onespot) there!

Sam

1 Like

Haha he was “modeling” with it I guess?
He knows the Gears VERY well.

2 Likes

Awesome. Thanks for sharing! I’m happy to see the MPC Live hanging out up there next to the OT :cool:

This reminds me I need to listen to his new album! I loved the last one.

1 Like

Eau Claire is lovely. Worked at a camp in East Troy and a number of my colleagues were from there. Visited a couple times. Just charming.

It’s great! Some bangers on there alongside some very emotional sax

I can hear I can hear CRYING

3 Likes

Nice! I always like seeing musicians mix traditional music equipment with modern electronics and unorthodox gear.

1 Like

Which pedals do you build?

1 Like

Dwarfcraft Devices!
Until my noise/drone/hip hop record goes gold anyway LOL!

15 Likes

Gears fuckin’ rules!

1 Like

Awesome! An all time favorite of mine.

I love seeing seeing the setups of bands who use a lot of electronics but don’t fall into an “electronic” genre. He definitely seems like he brings together the best of both worlds with more traditional instruments and the electronic ones.

1 Like

Ghost fax all the way :slight_smile:

1 Like

thank you very much! I love it. Pretty much built a live set/album off it last year.

1 Like

Any idea how they use the Octa? Just to play back some samples? Gonna give that new record a listen

I’m not sure, no, but the opener on the new album has a lot of time-squished vocals. It sounded like Ableton to me, but I’ve only heard it once, and if I were going to do that live I would certainly use my octatrack :slight_smile:

I’m helping load out tomorrow, maybe I’ll get to ask the HARD QUESTIONS.

3 Likes

I’m hijacking this post to say that I saw Bon Iver at Dalhalla in Sweden this weekend. And it was transcendental, it was the best concert I’ve ever gone to and most probably ever will.

If you don’t know Dalhalla its an old lime quarry turned concert venue. We stood at the absolute back of the amphitheater and just soaked in the swallows flying low over the concert area. The sound was pristine, I’ve never gone to a show with this level of clarity in the sound system.

There were times when Justin was playing by himself with his guitar or the Messina that the silence between verses reverberated between the quarry walls and you could almost touch the atmosphere.

@aen if you ever get the chance, please tell Justin and the rest of the band, that if he felt that we were a boring crowd it wasn’t because we were bored or reserved, we were floored. I hope they felt the magic that we felt.

I’m still kind of in a disbelief of what it was I actually witnessed.

Edit: pics or it didn’t happen

21 Likes

I saw him many years ago, I was hungover as hell, it was an early show at a festival in a really unpleasantly hot auditorium that my pals dragged me out of bed for, I didn’t know his stuff at all… and it was incredible. I was in a daze for hours afterwards, absolutely transcendent show. I really need to catch up on the later albums, thanks for the reminder!

2 Likes