Switching to Hardware after 15 years of software

You can use the master comp even while multitracking, you just need to do things in two passes. First record the indiouts. Then re-route the recorded drum ”mix” into an aux to send to the rytm’s audio input, which also goes into the master compressor. Obviously you need to mute the rytm voices at this point so you’ll only hear the incoming sound.

Hmm, yeah that makes sense…but still a shame that you have to go thru this workflow buzz kill. Maybe i’ll have to look into an external distortions like the “Heat” because I’m mostly fond of the dist on the Rytm not the Comp.

The heat is way more than just distortion and saturation… can REALLY recommend it, I own two by now :sweat_smile:
As for compression: your new mixing desk has dynamics per channel, you are covered in comps, gates and more.
For nice saturation, the Strymon Deco is also nice, dense and warm. And, of course, stereo.

hey @Augenadler…was waiting for your reply :slight_smile:
So basically recording through the Rytm separate voices doesn’t go through the master fx, which is just the dist and comp. Right? Delays and Reverbs will work?
If i get an external fx unit, does that get plugged to one voice at a time?

1 Like

You multitrack all voices, also the 2bus which holds the fx return signal, so verb and dly information.
As you want to mix in the box, the heat can just be added like an insert on your channels via OB VST, it works. Thats how I would do it.
For noodling, just put the heat ln the 2bus or your mixer.

how do you do this since at the back of the RYTM there is only 8 outs for the voices?

OB still not available for the MK2’s :confused:

The 2bus is L and R of the Rytm.
And OB works for the Heat

Check out heat in a store, bring your own music and let it flow through it. Take an hour or two and try stuff. This thing is so deep, it really is more than the sum of it’s parts.
Letting the envelope follower give you a control signal for every other parameter, eg LFO depth, f(filter) or dirt amount, there are thousands of ways to use it as a sound design tool and not just a grungepedal on 2bus.

Forgot to mention it is fully midi controllable.

1 Like

For me the overdrive circuits of the AR voices do an excellent job and I use them most of the time. They are on the individual outs. The only thing missing will be the Master FX, but I think, those can easily be replaced by the algorithms of your board. The Qu24 should have excellent compressors and distortions on the master and external overdrive should be available by analogue outboard units too. The AH would indeed be a great companion.

Slept at 5am in the morning tossing in my bed thinking about my setup. I’m having second thoughts about the A&H Qu-24 mixer i have coming. Something tells me that for the way i want to work an interface would have been more ideal, where i would be then using the digital mixer inside my DAW. That way i could switch between projects and have all the mixer parameters (eqs, fx, chain, groups) set up for each project.

What do you guys think?

I’m pretty sure the Qu-24 will also have recallable presets you can use for that?

In any case, can you not send the unit back within a certain period of time (usually 7-30 days within purchase) if you’re not satisfied with it?

Do you really think it could recall all settings? including eq’s?

That would be ace and diminish all my negative thoughts on this piece of gear.

Hmm, I thought that’s what most digital mixers have done since the 90s?

I see what you did there :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m realllllly new to all this hardware world as you can see @tsutek

I’m still contemplating on why should I use a hardware mixer and not the one inside of my DAW. Keeping in mind that I’m only going to be using this inside the studio.

I would have thought the answer was at least in part related to your remarks in your thread opener…

Im tired of doing everything with my mouse and looking at my computer screens for 8+ hours every day…inspiration slowly fading away.

I use my mixer as a way to route audio through various fx units and groups before they hit the DAW. Much more fun than fiddling with cables everytime I want to reroute something.

1 Like

Patchbays are a good idea if you find yourself rerouting audio signals all the time.

2 Likes

Don’t worry about this too much. When the mixer arrives, crack open the manual, or preferably, read it now while you wait for it to ship so you can start using the mixer straight away when it arrives. Demo it thorroughly, and if you still find you’d just prefer the DAW as a mixer after intense demoing, sendd the mixer back and ask for a refund.

1 Like

Digital mixers of this level come with memories for many scenes, which can be recalled on the fly.

IMO mixers like the Qu 24 are for mixing situations, where you want to ride the faders and work with real knobs to set up all the FX, EQ, Compressor, etc. This is hardware, we have to pay for, and space to set it up somewhere in the studio.

If you really consider using an audio interface as an alternative seriously, I assume that this unit does much more, then you might need for your workflow and you have to pay for that “more”. That was the reason that I suggested to check out the Qu-Pack as an alternative. Same technology, no faders, of course, full control on the unit or with iPad, and much money saved :wink:

1 Like

thanks guys for your thoughts. Just trying my best to have a comfortable workflow which im happy with and productive at the same time. I guess best is to plug everything up when it arrives on Monday and have a good go at it.
Will let you know how it all went.

2 Likes

Great thread! I’m seriously considering trading in my mixwizard 16:2 for the QuPac as I’m looking to shrink the size of my setup for live use.

My question is this - if I chain my gear into each other’s inputs - Digitone to A4 to Rytm then to Heat - would I degrade the audio quality significantly instead of using a mixer like the QuPac? Obviously I would lose a lot of flexibility per channel, but just looking at ease of setup.

Thanks in advance.