Switching to Hardware after 15 years of software

I think both provide high quality audio technology. From a recording only angle considered, I would say, if 96 kHz don’t matter, it is a tie.

Now count the input, output, and buss channels you might need in the future. There will be a point, where you would like to use outboard gear too. Do you need more than 24 channels? Selling the board in two or three years because you need more channels, would be more expensive - I guess - rather than to buy in the future today.

As I suggested, if you do not need the faders, because you have been looking for an audio interface in the first place, check out the Qu-Pac, which gives you same quality as the other Qu-series boards, the same capabilties as the Qu-32, at a lower price.

1 Like

Big thanks guys for your very thoughtful feedback. Highly appreciate it. I think im going with the Qu-24.

Until my next issue arises…take care :sunglasses:

2 Likes

I think you got me wrong.

OC it is worth to have every Synth on a single channel.
But with the percussive stuff when I have to decide, I would group some of them. OH, CH, Shakers, marimbas, rides etc can really be processed together.

1 Like

Sorry, you are right. I misunderstood. BTW … I do the same for percussions :wink:

1 Like

Just bought the Qu-24…taking everything in consideration it seemed the one for me - i hope :stuck_out_tongue:

BTW guys - is there a way to bypass master effects for some tracks? Be it voice or sample.

I’m not trying to make you feel anything about your purchase, or way you’ve chosen to go.
Adding and Allen Heath Qu series anything is definitely a solid choice.
However after reading all the posts since my last one, it just made me go right back to the sentiment I was trying to convey before.

All the sync woes, soundcards, $$$, just to record some tracks.
The way I see it these days, you can make really solid tracks with just the A4 alone, especially Techno.

1 Like

Im behind you in making the best out of what you’ve got…and beleive me in 15 years i did not spend a dim. BUT - recording multiple voices and machine from just 1/2 ins is very frustrating. You have to stay muting and unmuting a bunch of stuff…which also changes the sound of a specific track at times due to the group fx that are making a drum pattern the way i want it to sound. I prefer to do multi-track recording.

This track got me thinking a lot about whats possible.

Personally I would be just making tracks, and waiting patiently for OB.

In what exactly when it’s all hardware? Serious question :thinking:

Not sure I understand, but I meant sync with external gear and a DAW/computer, ugh

Ah, but that was exactly why he bought the mixer for, to eliminate all this.
Jamming whilst recording everything as single tracks to USB w/o cimputer involved.

1 Like

guys,

In Record Mode:
FUNC + COPY…prompts on display “Copy Track”
FUNC + PASTE…prompts on display “Paste Track”
…and it copies the Pattern (as it should have prompted on the display)

In Non-Record Mode:
FUNC + COPY…prompts on display “Copy Pattern”
FUNC + PASTE…prompts on display “Paste Pattern”
…and it copies the Track (as it should have prompted on the display)

Am i getting something wrong here or is this a bug? Just installed the latest firmware 1.40D

Sounds like a bug.
Copy Paste for Track and Pattern should be separated as expected

dude, what would be the best way to connect my Rytm Mk2 and my forthcoming A4 Mk2 to my A&H Qu-24 mixer? Cable wise.

I have been reading about TRS and TS cables and im not really sure which way to go.

on the Rytm: TRS for the main outs, TRS to 2xTS (known as insert cable) for the individual outs.

on the A4: TRS to TRS as it seems
Are you satisfied with the quality of the Qu24?

Edit: not so sure about the A4 though… can someone chime in on this? @tsutek @tnussb @Tarekith

I received the cover and power supply of the Qu24 but mixer seems to be arriving monday :expressionless: will def let you know once i get on it

1 Like

It’s the same for the A4 Mk2.

1 Like

Does this mean that i will be connecting the 2xTS to two seperate channels for stereo? If so, how should i connect sounds which i want mono, like kick etc? TRS to TRS? @Augenadler @tnussb @Tarekith

The TRS - TS cable concept is quite easy … it’s only about how to use it and this can be quite different. Ignore the info, if you already know … :wink:

• TRS stands for Tip, Ring, Sleeve
  • TS has only Tip and Sleeve

TRS <–>TRS is usually used as

• stereo connection between two units, or
  • to connect balanced mono input <–> outputs, in which the tip is “+hot”, the ring is “-cold”, and the sleeve is shield or ground

TRS <–> TS-red/white can be used as

• a split cable to connect a stereo connector to two mono connectors (right, left); this would be an unbalanced connection to the inputs of a mixer
  • an insert cable where the tip of the stereo connector is the “send” and connects to the mono-tip of split cable 1 (eg. white), the ring is the “return” on the stereo connector and connects to the mono-tip of split cable 2 (e.g. red), and the sleeve is sleeve (ground, shielding) on all three connectors

In use there is no problem to connect balanced ins and outs with unbalanced cables, which would be mono cables (tip+sleeve only). But the effect of noise-reduction will be lost, which is the purpose of balanced connections in the first place. If the EMC environment is good enough, audio quality will be okay, if unbalanced connections are used.

3 Likes

Thanks @SoundRider for the detailed info. Had to go over it a few times to wrap my head around it. But i think i got it :slight_smile:

Going back to my question:

Also, if im connecting all 8 Rytm voices separate to my mixer for Multi-track recording would i still need to connect the Main Outs of the Rytm to my mixer?

2nd Also :slight_smile: (damn i have soo many questions) - going around the forum it seems that recording the voices separately will bypass the master fx (comp, dist) which i really like. Thats a bummer. Is there a way around this when doing multi-track?

I’m starting to think that if there was OB for the Mk2’s i would have just bought a good soundcard instead of the A&H mixer and wouldn’t have to go through all this :confused: