Switching to Hardware after 15 years of software

I also prefer to stay at 44.1 as i will probably have issues when sending to engineer, vinyl pressing plants etc. So is the only solution to this, to convert sample rate after recording to cubase? usually when i import a loop into cubase that carries a different sample rate, Cubase prompts if i would like to change sample rate to match project. When doing so i never noticed any change in quality.

Please make a doubleblind A/B test comparing a 44.1kHz audio file with a 48kHz audio file that has been converted to 44.1kHz by sox (using maximum resampling quality) before you decide on going for 44.1 or 48 long term. I seriously doubt you will be able to pick em apart in A/B.

My opinion is that many people obsess over ā€is my AD/DA good enough, which audiointerface to getā€, fearing the effects of various dithering algorithms when it comes to their music, or obsessing over the sampleratesā€¦ and IME these factors are among the LEAST SIGNIFICANT THINGS you should be worrying about. Usually the most significant things to worry about already occur in the acoustic domain IME (acoustics)ā€¦ But YMMV and all that.

6 Likes

Youve picked a bad ass box to start with. I find the rytm to be very expressive. It will require a small amount fo set up at first, but itā€™ll be worth the small time investment. I would make sure to read the rytm mk2 freezes thread so youā€™re aware of what some units are going through. I would make sure you save stuff frequently as some of the first lessons youā€™ll learn the hard way is switching banks/patterns and losing stuff. Oh and make sure to go through the files section here - thereā€™s tons of cool shit that some very awesome people have contributed.

1 Like

Theoreticaly yes, but as I have read on both projectā€™s pages, they state that there is an decrease. It may not be significant but if ut can be evadey, why not?
You loose frequencies above 18kHz when you are about 15yo, so even 22,05kHz (fs/2, see nyquist) is way good enough for human ears. I wpuld go up and double f(s) to 88,2kHz for a better resolution in mixing, but stay away from the 48kHz as only DAT did use this and it never really sticked as a standard.

Correct me if Iā€™m wrong though.

Absolutely. The degrade in quality is def. not significant, more of a set of mind thing. Aesotheric mostly.

More way important is proper gain staging and corect intput levels when you go in the DAW.

When you quote Nyquist then please do it correctly. With a sample rate of 22,05kHz only frequencies up to 11,025kHz can be reconstructed correctly. For 18kHz you will need a sample rate of >=36kHz.

1 Like

I did, my fellow Elektronaut. F(s) of 44,1 equalsto audible 22,05. Sorry if that was unclear.

Edit says: now that I read it again, it surely isnunclear the way I wrote it.

1 Like

hey guys, so my Rytm is finally here :slight_smile: connected to Cuabse and audio is cool. Now trying to sync playback to cubase. Do you guys know how to do this? Canā€™t seem to find it anywhere on the net.

and btw - sorry for the newbie questions :confused:

I would also consider DJS-1000 before committing to AR MK2

Yea, I have two SP-16. Those are great for transitioning from VST to Hardware. You can make beats at no time. Well sounding beats! I also have some Elektron boxes and most of the of time they just collect dustā€¦ Except of Digitakt of course.

me too, I bought an beat up old MPC 1000 and with JJOS (upgraded it) and it became the hub of my studio, so quick and easy to use, no mouse or screen to worry about, just the record button :slight_smile:

I also recently got an AKAI Z4 sampler and a XV3080 now too, older kit on ebay offers more options to get away from the screen, use your ears and record live takes

tip - older kit = make sure its USB compatible and/or has a decent editor app

1 Like

AR MK2ā€¦has arrived :slight_smile: happy with my purchase. reading manual now and trying to figure out how to midi sync it with cubase.

2 Likes

if switching to hardware then perhaps the best idea is to not sync it to cubase or any computer ā€¦ at all.

the Elektron midi clock is heaps better than any dawā€™s midi clock vibe imho.

anyway, irritating suggestion aside, congrats!
i would so love to play a Rytm, mkI or mkII.

You will see that you can prepare a lot of things in the elektron sequencer, but there is a performance layer on top of it that is really cool :slight_smile:
for example

• instantly recall parameter values (punch in Fx, ā€¦) via scenes.
  • morphing parameters in real time via perf pads / quick perf knob.
  • inserting drum fills
  • play with mute and solos.
  • ā€¦

All this is not recordable in the elektron sequencer and invite you to play live.
All this is not recordable in the elektron sequencer but the box sends the associated midi messages so you could decide to record the midi messages on a dedicated track of your daw in order to save your performance.
Frankly I prefer to save my kits and basic patterns on the machine, and record directly the audio associated to my performance on my daw.

Concerning midi clock,
Best way to sync is to have a dedicated sync box (expensive). if not possible use overbridge. if not use the method below

You should always set your DAW as master and the Rytm as slave.
ALWAYS check the sync between your machine and your daw by ear before you hit record.
(metronome on your daw, metronome on the rytm >> check sync by ear).

1 Like

Even Cubase 9.5 does not synch to midi-clock. Itā€™s a shame, but thatā€™s it. Cubase works with Timecode only ā€¦ thatā€™s why you didnā€™t find support on the net :frowning:

But Cubase can send MIDI Clock and sync external midi devices. You have to tell Cubase where to send midi clock. This is done in the MIDI Clock Destinations menu.

I want to incorporate both digital and hardwareā€¦mainly for arrangement, mixing and mastering in my daw. Im looking at the Rytm more as a groovebox.

1 Like

can you show me an example of this so i can understand better please? Do you mean live for example Rytm writes automation on my DAW? Still confused on how to make the best out of my midi between Cubase and Rytm.

do you mean that Cubase only sends midi-clock and does not receive it?

Eugene yes both the SP-16 and DJS-1000 have a edge over the Analog Rhythm . For Elektron --i really really like Analog Keys ā€”all up i think its a better package than other machines from the brand i have ownedā€”the AK has some real mana ā€”beautifal keyboard --its a players machine. All my other machines in the serious were sold OT MK2, A4 , Digitrak, AR

1 Like