Switching Rooms switching equipment?

Hey Elektronauts,

what you think about switching rooms for making music ?
other accoustics = other sound?

The digitakt is my “go to every room” piece of equipment, what is yours, how does it belong to you ?

keep on tune, ketes

My go-to is the tb03 and oberheim sem.
Currently thinking about splitting up my gear and just have a pyramid and the prophet 6 + digitakt on it’s own in another room to focus on those for some time…to get away from my gotos

1 Like

Since I have my AR battery powered, I carry it with me in my backpack and jam when there’s time. In the bathroom, while commuting, in the park.

Absolute recommendation - jam where you want, not where a socket is.

1 Like

I have 3 separate set ups.

Studio set up with Maschine Mk3 as main tool, various synths/samplers & 2 turntables set up dj style, also used for sampling

MPC 2500 in my dining room with turntable for sampling & various synths/samplers.

Portable set up on my coffee table with Op-1, 404sx, Volcas, K.O., various portable gear.

Certain pieces I move around, mainly the portable stuff.

Nothing to do with acoustics tho, I just have too much gear & love to bounce around/like variety.

2 Likes

Since getting the MPC Live I’ve split my setup up, both In the nasty dungeon some call a basement. MPC and a few guitar pedals/amp on desk for instant jam and production. DN and SP-404sx on a small, old, cool movable wooden bar. That’s my nightly zone out with the back ground chatter of tv/game on.

2 Likes

If there’s a flat surface in any room in your home, it might as well have a few pieces of gear + a mixer and alright a few effects as well. Headphones or small monitors, depending on the room. I’ve ended up with more gear than I know what to do with almost by accident with all the vintage gear people sell for a song, so it shouldn’t be too difficult (depending on your area) to cover every square inch of your home with synths, samplers, and drum machines.

1 Like

I notice that you switch up your gear a lot. I was thinking of doing something similar.

It seems like you enjoy minimal set ups, but also like to use different things from 404sx, Digitone to Deluge to MPC Live & guitar plus I know you have had a lot of other gear, but always switching around.

How has that worked out for you? Like do you enjoy that the best (I know you’re about having fun too)? Do you lose a lot of money or does it actually work out ok?

Sorry to derail the thread, but found this an interesting subject as well regarding set ups & using different gear.

What’s up Sharris!

It’s been a journey, all I want is simple, small setup to write music with my acoustic and add drums, bass and whatever else is needed. MPC Live so far fits that bill. I’ve moved so much that I’ve become permanently portable so I’d love my setup to represent my personality.

1 Like

Nice, so you’ve been trying different gear to see what fits best for you :blush: That’s the way to do it! You really don’t know until you try different things out! Try out different set ups until you find what works best!

2 Likes

I have my one main studio room and I don’t change things up very often, due to my little ones being very touchy and not gentle with my gear. Not so sure on the acoustics of things because I usually make music late at night and mix on my DT 770 pros.

I will however grab my Digitone or Machinedrum and play them on the couch or in my bedroom if I get the urge. The sequencers and pattern saving makes them ideal for this type of mobile jamming.

Wherever you feel you’re vibing most, should be the ideal spot for music making, no? :blush:

Yep, though the problem became parting with most. The gear was so much fun to learn and create. OT with a fader is crazy fun, would lose a nigh just jamming with a smile ear to ear.

2 Likes

Yea there’s a lot of amazing gear out there, it’s hard to part with some of it. That’s the issue I’m currently having, deciding what to part with.

To get back on topic, I agree with Cepheid, wherever you feel you’re vibing the most is ideal. But I also get that acoustics are important as well. For me it’s about the energy & how I feel in my environment more so than creating a perfect mixing environment, but I’m not a professional musician. At the same time I love learning everything about this & of course would like a good mixing environment. So I want my main studio to be a great mixing environment, that way even if I create something somewhere else, I can finish it up in the main studio.

1 Like

I use a variety of different equipment depending on my mood and what I’m up to.

Home Set up- Is OT, A4 and another third switchable piece MD, ND2, Preen FM2 etc… I have to limit my self due to restricted space. My dream would be to have a music room (again) with sufficient space for all of my equipment to be out.

Portable, around the house - Deluge as standalone.

On the Move - Any one of 3 pocket operators - PO33, PO35, or PO20.

Sometimes I’ll use my Iphone for stuff like field recording, but the battery is terrible so I limit its music making usage.

1 Like