Surgeon Q&A

Well honestly, I bought an OT three months ago and I haven’t really gelled with it until now. It’s a lot menus diving, sampling needs practice etc. At the moment I just use it for sequencing the Dominion 1 and that’s not doing its justice because it’s capable of many more things. But I won’t give up on it until I find my use for it.

Yeah, I think a lot of people use tools that might frustrate them until a better solution comes around. I dunno, I didn’t really re-post it because he uses an Elektron, more about being a fan of his artistic philosophy and approach. I guess that’s what I drew out of the interview.

3 Likes

Yep, despite not feeling his latest output, Tony is still one of the good guys in the more and more stale techno world.

1 Like

Surgeon has retired his Octa and replaced with a looper module - see here at 1125

https://youtu.be/iCzWiamrAQU

Traitor!

2 Likes

Back to using an OT

6 Likes

sorry to bump this thread - but does anyone understand how he’s using the OT for looping on the OP video? as @DoS mentioned, unfortunately you can barely hear his explanation over the music…
I know my OT pretty well (and I’m actually using it heavily for transitions between patterns from my Digitakt) but I’m really curious about his approach - for example I don’t quite understand if he’s using Buffers or Pick Up machines :thinking:

Pretty sure he was using looper. Deduction. He mentions the looper not liking it when you change BPM. Also when you watch his older live sets you can see him hitting the rec buttons.

1 Like

by looper you mean pick up machines, right?

Aye. Must be an english thing, I call it looper as well.

i dont think he uses OT anymore but as an OT user im really into this video , big surgeon fan here.

wait hes back on the OT now?

If I understood this correctly he is not using the OT to live loop anymore. The first 6 tracks are drum sounds, the 7th is backing tracks and track 8 is a through machine for the Leploop

damn these videos are a roller coaster of GAS for me right now :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I’ve been getting into Surgeon a lot recently and I’m interested in this setup in the RA video - it’s very compact and looks like a lot of fun to play with. As said above, he has 6 drum sounds, the Leploop for leads and then these ‘backing tracks’. Where is the bass coming from? Also, it’s not entirely easy for me to distinguish on the video, but it sounds like these backing tracks are more than just an atmosphere kind of thing. They sound like they have some rhythmic and tonal element to them. Can anybody comment further?

This Is a very old set-up he was using

He is no longer using the OT

Listen this podcast

You can also watch one of his recent live-set

3 Likes

Thanks. Still interested in what’s in these backing tracks though :grinning:

I’m pretty sure he just used a few pre-recorded stems and loops on a couple of his OT channels, then improvised over the top with the drums/leploop.

Yes, this is what I think he was doing in that RA video too.

At about the 6 minute mark of this video he triggers the tiptop hihats and clap modules. They sound really good. Is he running them through further processing (distortion?) or is this the sound you get from the modules?