Superbooth 21

A couple of observations on the design of the RK008.

It looks like they are using a dead front display. This is an inexpensive and stylish way to give the impression of a full matrix graphic panel. These should get more use in product design.

The calculator buttons are a good interface, where you will learn repeated one finger operations and get pretty proficient after a while, eventually using them without even looking.

Who wants to start the thread for this ?

1 Like

f&%* … I haven’t expected I will need P5 as well : )
bi-tembrality is a killer update

4 Likes

Done. Been thinking about that every time someone talks about it.

1 Like

Just got this email from UDO:

8 Likes

Probably a Super 6 desktop from the looks of it!

3 Likes

Damn, that’s going to be a real danger to my wallet.

2 Likes

Message from Expressive E on how to make appointments to test the Osmose in their “little cabin in the woods”.

https://mailchi.mp/expressivee/superbooth

1 Like

Do you get the Prophet 10 plate as well :slight_smile:

1 Like

I got it too. I’m expecting more of modulation pedal. I dont think they have the man power to get a desktop out so quickly.

George is a one man army at UDO. Remember the video office tour he gave Nick Batt. He showed several complete keyboard synths he did for his own entertainment. He obviously has a “warehouse” of ideas and designs, and he seems to like the customer feedback, so he could show an early version of a new product.

He worked for Modal too designing stuff, so he’s got a ton of experience and expertise.

1 Like

True, like a prototype. Parts are hard to come by atm though.

You can design around parts, especially when doing onesy, twosies, you can still get sample parts, companies want you to design with their parts so they have those samples, just not volume.

ADDED: Plus UDO already has some stock of parts for building the S6. George could easily take a few parts from stock.

Hardware engineers collect parts. I’ve got boxes of them. George probably does too. Parts for design is not a problem.

I remember when the r4 was launched people asking if they can buy the 10 voice one, but with Prophet 5 badge (for nostalgic reasons)!

1 Like

If he did show yow with the Super 6 in that form factor i think you would lose a lot of its functionality appeal though. The layout is pretty neat and compact as it is. Its only a small keyboard compared to others.

1 Like

Yeah I was kind of thinking a desktop at first, but looking at the sheet in the image does sort of look like there is a keybed where it notches down. My guess is it will be a slightly more affordable premium synth… if it is a desktop unit though my wallet might be in danger.

Yeah, might be! I also remember George saying at the introduction of the Super 6 that they‘re contemplating a desktop version but that it would be a different synth and/or interface (as the intuitive and player-friendly interface is tough to shrink down to a desktop-sized synth like the Iridium/Kyra).

1 Like

I could see the notch down maybe having a sequencer with trig keys of sorts if they were going a desktop route, looking at the profile of the super 6 again the keys stick out beyond the chassis and is a much longer notched down section. Maybe we are gonna se a desktop unit with sequencer or some other input method?

I think it’s pretty difficult to shrink a slider-oriented synth interface into desktop format and keep the size manageable. it worked with the Arp Odyssey that Korg did, but that only has like half the controls that the S6 does. they’ll definitely have to use less chunky sliders/caps.

it’s kinda wild they’re introducing another product though. from my point of view, they still have more demand than supply of the Super 6. it’s basically never in stock any where; or not for long. good problem to have for a new company though…

2 Likes

I just got an email from Moog that their Model 15 app is now available as a VST. So maybe that is what they are showing off at Superbooth.

Here is a link to that info on their website.

3 Likes

Got an email from Waves Factory (the dudes behind Track Spacer and Cassette) that says they will be announcing a new plug-in very soon.

2 Likes