Suggestions for Digitone + drum machine?

The original one, which I should have noted has no CCs, responds only to velocity.

I’ve seen them go for that on Gumtree, this eBay one a bit more due to good condition.

Tr8 is pretty cheap 2nd hand these days if u don’t need sampling and happy enuf with classic roland kits

2 Likes

The mfb 503 is not as limited as you might think, since it allows adjusting all its parameters via MIDI CC which afaik the mfb 522 cannot. So I can use it with parameter locks etc. The main reason for me using the 503 is its 909-like sounds while it‘s super portable. Here you find all its parameters.

http://mfberlin.de/wp-content/uploads/MFB-503_MIDI_english.pdf

Works really great.

2 Likes

All good ideas, love the nord drum.

Just a quick noobie question, how does the Digitone work with a separate drum machine in terms of patterns? Can I use the Digitone sequencer to change patterns on the drum machine? To make a full song?

Eg let’s say I got the TR8, how would the Digitone program pattern changes?

I actually just read about iOS and Digitone, might be able to get away with using a drum machine on my iPad.

The DN transmits pattern change over MIDI, it even transmits the current pattern when it is switched on, which is very useful to align all your gear to the same position (switch the DN on last).

The equipment I have used with the DN follows pattern changes exactly as you would want (e.g. DN pattern A01 = E2S pattern 001 and DN pattern B01 = E2S pattern 017).

Obviously I can’t speak for how other drum machines, which I have no experience of, would respond to pattern changes.

1 Like

Amazing. I really think the DN is what I want. I was previously thinking of an arturia keystep pro, but I’m in love with FM and the Digitone sounds bloody amazing.

1 Like

Buy a DN then and see how far you are able to get with it on it’s own.

Then hook it up with your Ipad, and experience how it is to sequence external synths/drummachines with the midi tracks on the DN and controll external cc’s from there, before you decide which drummachine is the right match for you.

(You might find this link helpful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DU6bVOZjHQk&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR0eghyM8MnbmAEAiB2WjmzuKBitKUDJviNHpMMv5Vz8lKMfBVdZu3e8HUY&ab_channel=MattGreerMusic )

Personally I’m very happy to have a dedicated drummachine (the RYTM Mk1) with hands on control, 12 tracks and a full dedicated Elektron sequencer with all the elektron bells and whistles, compared to having to fit all drum duties into the midi tracks on the DN.
Being able to set up CC’s is a cool feature to have, and it is possible to do it, but the workflow is not as immediate as having a RYTM (or a DN, DM etc.) next to the DN.
I sequence my Summit from the DN, but I tend to find a sound/synth solution inside the DN instead of setting up a midi track and the needed CC’s, simply because it’s more convenient.

2 Likes

Recently got a TR-8. Got it for €200…
Was not willing to pay the price of a S as I have DT for sampling and sequencing matters.
Was not going to pay much attention to it but in the end very happy with it: simple and effective.
The ACB technology (for whatever it is worth) makes the sounds cut through the mix.
If you want more options for sound design/sequencing, you will have to look somewhere else.
Very impressed.

1 Like

That’s exactly what I was thinking. The Digitone alone will give me more than enough to play with and learn, then I can expand from there.

I want to eventually move completely off computers, and build a 100% hardware set up. Maybe use a computer / iPad to record only. I’ve been using iOS for a while and really crave hands on controls and a simpler set up.

That said, even if I just used USB / iOS with Digitone, that would work for processing / effects, and maybe one synth/drum (I love Lorentz and Drambo), and maybe patterning for drums.

The way you can run everything through the Digitone via usb is nothing short of amazing. Better start saving now!

Sounds awesome. I wish the 522 could be Midi CC controllabe.

Considering you will have 4 tracks of sequencing, the Division Department 01/IV is a perfect match.

If you had 8 channels you can’t go wrong with the Vermona DRM mk2

2 Likes

love the look of the Division Department. And the sound is nice :ok_hand:

1 Like

Wow this is perfect!!!

The only thing to call out is the 01/IV has no presets: you have to program patches live every time.

It sounds (and looks) awesome.

Love it. I’m trying to give myself limitations.

1 Like

i also will say, first get the dn and learn it. once you have a better understanding of what it can and can not do and get the hang with the elektron workflow, you will be able to make confident decisons on what to get next…

4 Likes

Ritmobox!

2 Likes

This is the best advice! You might get overwhelmed and/or not learn each box fully if you get too many things in one go. Easy does it.

1 Like

Definitely good advice. I want to select each piece of equipment carefully, cautiously and with the future in mind. I’d rather take my sweet time, pick individual brilliant pieces of equipment, master them and then expand knowing what each piece of kit can do for me. My problem on the DAW / iOS is that I have too much damn stuff.

Digitone seems like a good piece of equipment to master. I love creating interesting, textured patterns and rhythms, mucking around with probability, LFOs, self-generation and movement.

2 Likes

I went through a similar thing a few months ago, and ended up taking the plunge on a DN. Loved it that much that I had to get the DT too shortly after, and now very happy with the two of them.

Highly recommend the DN as a first box though. It can do a lot of drums just on its own, although can get fairly mind-bending getting them all on one track, but given what you’ve put in your last message I definitely think you’ll love it.

2 Likes