Suggested Topics 14/7

Just wondering if the forum experience has changed for y’all or whether I’ve toggled on a Discourse feature that I can switch back

The bottom of all threads I read today are showing a ‘suggested topics’ section, not sure if I am sold on it, at least not whilst I’m not yet used to it

Seems useful, if a bit distracting

Normally at the bottom of a thread I just type g l

I’ve seen this for ages.
Rather pertinent IMO.

1 Like

Hmm, that makes me think I’ve perhaps toggled it on then … will look again at shortcuts, but nothing obvious here …

1 Like

Same on my end and I agree as well.

I tried it. Tell me what you guys think. It can be removed again.

I’ve seen the suggested topics only when reading the forum on a mobile web browser, and I find it useful. Seems fine on the desktop version too.

1 Like

Is that so ?
When did you do it ?
I feel like it’s been here for at least 3 months.

I don’t see many old threads surfacing, mostly relevant ones that need a digging.
Rather useful in my own case.

It’s always been there on mobile I think.

1 Like

There is merit to it, don’t get me wrong, but when you’re used to knowing you’ve arrived at the bottom of a thread a certain way you just get used to it, that’s all … it may feel odd for a small while, these passing thoughts of ‘how did I get here ?’ will soon pass

The usefulness of the particular links suggested has been hit and miss so far, but at least we know it’s not a user option

I’m easy, but wouldn’t particularly miss it either … it’s probably a good idea for most users

I’m always using an IPad to access the forum and it has always been there, I tend to completely ignore it… :ecstatic:

1 Like

Same issue as @BTS.WRKNG here, just shows a bunch of ancient classified threads that are long closed.

Yeah you guys might be right. I’ll remove it and we’ll see if anyone shouts with feeling of loss.

I miss it on the mobile version, if only because tapping back on Opera Mini (with data savings enabled) on Android goes back to the speed dial rather than the previous page in Discourse, so it’s a useful shortcut for me to go back to Latest or Unread topics without having to reload the whole site.

But that’s just my own workaround on a particular mobile browser with a specific setting.

1 Like

That back button functionality sounds like a nightmare for browsing tbh!

It mostly affects Elektronauts for me - I could turn off data savings, but then that turns off adblocking too :frowning:

If you’re on android and don’t mind rooting, I’ve been having great results with adaway and moab. The only ads I still see are on Instagram.

I’ve been trying to root the Android phone for ages; no luck so far (it’s an old Galaxy Note, so is increasingly unable to upgrade some useful apps).

Sorry, straying into offtopica here.