Substan music

I got a technical question if you don’t mind, do you record main outs or is there invisible usb cable for OB recordings?
asking just because I see the volume knob barely on 10 o’clock and wonder how low the main output is while recording, I imagine boosting such low volume will bring out a lot of noise but I don’t hear any in the recording, so I really wonder…

2 Likes

In this case Digitone runs into Syntakt and I recorded just the Syntakt Out … no OB involved.

The elektrons generally output a super high level. When I record with my Zoom M3 (which has no input level control due to its 32-bit architecture) I can only turn the volume control halfway up otherwise I run the risk of the signal being distorted. In this case, I recorded via the audio interface into Ableton and could have turned up the volume on the Syntakt further… but that’s absolutely not necessary. I’ve never had any problems with noise on the Elektrons. Of course, that also depends a little on the audio interface/recorder… on my UAD apollo I have to turn the gain up very high to introduce noise.

I set Syntakt´s input to 100 and couldn’t turn the Digitone much louder without overloading the input. I could probably have turned down Syntakt´s input and turned up the Digitone… but like I said, I don’t think much about it.

1 Like

thanks for the info, it’s just I can barely hear my DN if the volume is not above the middle range of the knob, so I was really wondering. but yeah, I guess compensating with ST input is not impacting the noise levels too much, which is great!

1 Like

The first test run with this (rightly) hotly debated box …

2 Likes
4 Likes

HAPPY NEW YEAR !!

2 Likes
3 Likes
5 Likes
2 Likes

Hey. Love your music, and especially visuals. I have some questions bout it: You record video on green background or use another method? You make this visuals yourself or it’s some kind of video stocks?

1 Like

Glad to hear … thanks. Yes I use green screens in different forms. For the visuals I use own recordings, stock video, beeplecrap and midjourney AI pictures … and mangle/blend these in resolve. For more rhythmical visuals I use „videosync“ which allows you to work with video in Ableton as if it where Audio … gorgeous piece of software

3 Likes

2 Likes

1 Like
5 Likes

Beautiful song and your outdoor videos always look gorgeous (now even better). Also one of the best sounding tracks I’ve heard from Syntakt, really nice “open” sound. Did you do a lot of post processing?

2 Likes

Thanks a lot !!

Before I remastered the two albums for release on bandcamp, I once again worked very intensively on the topic of mastering for a few weeks. I learned, tried and tested a lot. I discovered some great plugins and also invested in a small 500 series rack and 3 nice modules (the most expensive investment in my studio so far… apart from the modular). Even if it’s only a few percent… this analog hardware for mastering brings a certain “openness and liveliness” that I couldn’t achieve with plugins.

Long story short… yes there is a lot of processing involved… lots of small subtle edits that add up. But the 30 years I spent to make all kinds of mistakes (terrible mixes and masters) maybe play the biggest role :slight_smile:

3 Likes

The SUBSPACE opens its doors…

A first test flight with the Neutral Labs Elmyra 2.
Valhalla Room for reverb.

1 Like

This time I tamed the beast (Elmyra) a bit by sending it into the Analog Four and further processing and sequencing it there … Tempera does its magic again.