Sub phatty vs Sub 37

Hello i know this question was already ask but maybe people have change their mind …
I have an A4+OT+AR and i would really like to get a moog sound mainly for bass but also leads.
I would like to know if people already own both if the extra money ( 600E here in France ) is worth … Money is a concern ,the most important is the sound.
Sorry for my poor English and thanks a lot for your help :wink:

I only had the Sub Phatty for a short period of a couple weeks to test it out, it sounded great but I didn’t have the time to get deep into it, I bought the Sub 37 a few months later and don’t regret it.
Obviously they have the same sound engine but the modulation possibilities on the Sub 37 are out of this world, I believe a lot of them are still available on the Sub phatty with button combos but on the Sub 37 it’s so handy as more or less everythings available on the front panel making it very fun and intuitive, plus since the big update all you have to do to route things is hold the destination button and turn a knob and that will be your modulation destination.

Depending on how much of an issue the money was I’d personally wait a few months more and save the extra if it came to that.

i dont know about those but…

if u can find a slim phatty …i dont think you’d be disappointed at all

my steup is AR (drums) + OT (obviously samples) + the slim phatty

i honestly dont need anything else…

perfect setup

Yeah, I second the SlimPhatty sound.
The UI on the SlimPhatty is not near as amazing as the Sub37, but it sounds better to me, and it’s super compact.
I have the AR-OT-A4 set up with a slimPhatty, it’s fantastic. The Moog sound definitely plays off the Elektrons nicely.
I usually send CV gate/pitch to the SP from the A4, that way I can tranpose easily.
I use the OT to send midi bank changes and CC messages.

Agreed. I own a voyager and the closest compact version to that is the slim phatty. Patch editing is more limited, but the bass gets creamy like a voyager.

The sub 37 is it’s own beast. Everything there is at your hands. This beast is more like an aggressive mono synth. There are creamy moog patches, but I find myself making more agressive patches when playing with this beast.

Who knows i may cave in and get a used sub37 myself.

I’d rather have a Voyager RME than a sub37.
But I’ll work with the SP in the meantime.

What about a Minitaur, if you are searching a good bass synth?

From my experience the Sub 37 and the Voyager lose some bottom end, if the resonance is raised. On the Sub 37 you can use filter feedback (I think the Sub Phatty has this too), and there is the MultiDrive to thicken up the sound.

But from my impression the Minitaur sounds very bassy and moogy. And, the Minitaur is not limited to bass sounds only :wink:

Tbh I kind of agree regarding the Slim Phatty, I don’t like to admit it cos I sold mine and forked out a lot more for the Sub 37 but I do like the Slim Phatty sound a little better I think. The SP with the Sub 37 interface and modulations would be perfect. What I loved with the Slim was layering it into the OT to make poly sounds, worked better for this than the Sub does. If you don’t mind menu diving the Slim Phatty would be the way to go.

With the Sub 37 however sometimes the modulations can give the sound a whole new texture which gives it another dimension. Lots of fun things you can do like looping envelopes etc

Thanks a lot for your answers ( sorry i didn’t seen your answers earlier ! ) i think i probably much more like the aggressive sound of the sub phatty and 37 .Also SlimPhatty sub menu is a concern because il also like Monark so i think i am gonna use my SP or 37 as a controller ( i have a powerful computer ) do you think it s possible to get the same possibilities of modulation of the S37 with the interface ( vst ) or olding button ?
PS: ( i also want to use it as giving synth does the 37 is very heavy ?)

From my experience the Sub 37 and the Voyager lose some bottom end, if the resonance is raised. On the Sub 37 you can use filter feedback (I think the Sub Phatty has this too), and there is the MultiDrive to thicken up the sound.

But from my impression the Minitaur sounds very bassy and moogy. And, the Minitaur is not limited to bass sounds only ;)[/quote]
I also thought of the minitaur … i think i would prefer a mono synth with a keyboard … You really think the Minitaur as more depth in the low end ?

The sub37 is superb and now the editor is released its taken it to a new level with its new firmware and plugin too.

I reckon its a great investment too in future years.

But from my impression the Minitaur sounds very bassy and moogy. And, the Minitaur is not limited to bass sounds only ;)[/quote]
I also thought of the minitaur … i think i would prefer a mono synth with a keyboard … You really think the Minitaur as more depth in the low end ? [/quote]
Definitely. The Minitaur has a different filter design compared to the phatties or the Voyager. AFAIK it’s the filter of the Moog Taurus, which was a special bass synth.

You might want to check this out:

I also thought of the minitaur … i think i would prefer a mono synth with a keyboard … You really think the Minitaur as more depth in the low end ? [/quote]

I own both the Slim Phatty and the Minitaur and also played around with the Sub37. If you are looking for a pure bass sound only, get the Minitaur. Slim Phatty and Sub37 are more versatile since Minitaur can’t play higher pitch but for wall shaking bass sounds, Minitaur is your best bet. It’s also easy to program since there are knobs for all the essential params.

I bought the Sub Phatty before the Sub 37 existed and felt lust in my heart for the Sub 37 from the moment it was announced. I eventually sold the Sub Phatty and bought the Sub 37.

Some observations:

• The Sub 37 has more features and, importantly, more knobs. For me, the Sub Phatty’s keyboard access to hidden features never was something I could bother to memorize so I used less than all of its programming capabilities unless I used the computer editor. That was a bummer for me because some features not available from the panel (like the filter pole control) are pretty useful.
  • The sound engines at the heart of both are, as I understand it, the same. If you are mostly after a fat Moog sound and programming basic/classic patches, I think the Sub Phatty is a good call and a real bargain (especially used) right now. When I sold mine to upgrade, I had come to think of it as obsolete but I don’t think that’s true after owning the Sub 37 for a while. The Sub 37 does more, but the Sub Phatty is a fine synth.

You can’t go wrong picking the Sub 37 - it does all the same stuff and more (two LFOs and loopable envelopes, sequencer/arp, more keys, more controls on the front panel, etc…). You may or may not need those things, though, depending on how you intend to use the synth - if you just want a solid bass and lead machine, the Sub Phatty will work fine.

One last point - the architecture of both synths does draw you toward more aggressive tones but you can resist that if you are conscious of it. I used to own a DSI Poly Evolver and it had a rep for being bright and brash all the time. It easily went there but you could also coax warm and dark tones out of it if you tried. You just have to resist turning the various things that affect gain/distortion up to get less aggressive tones out of these Moogs - it can require restraint because the overdrive sounds good, but it’s in there.

does the sub phatty offer the same arbitrary microtuning scales as the sub37? I’m a long time user of the Lil Phatty and have been lusting after the sub37 since it’s release, but now I’m thinking if I’d just get a sub phatty 2nd hand instead (and also keep the lil phatty lol). But the elaborate microtuning offered by the sub37 is a must for me - is it onboard the sub phatty as well?

Thanks a lot !

Definitely. The Minitaur has a different filter design compared to the phatties or the Voyager. AFAIK it’s the filter of the Moog Taurus, which was a special bass synth.

You might want to check this out:

[/quote]
Thank you :slight_smile: i ll check it !

i’d love to hear the 37 doin some nasty patches. Most of the videos I’ve found are drastically different than the sounds i want to get out of it.

what about cv and mdi sequencing from the a4 ?