Strymon Next Generation

Plus the cost of a Strymon Conduit for MIDI connectivity.

1 Like

I see this as a natural progression, but really no reason to sell my v1ā€™s. Clock synced delays are overrated IMHO. Especially with a tape delay like the ElCap. Isnā€™t that supposed to be a bit wonky timing-wise? :slight_smile:

The nice thing about pedals is having to use your ears foremost!

5 Likes

yeah as someone who owns five out of six of these pedals, this is a bit annoying. but Iā€™m not running to sell my V1ā€™s just to upgrade. the only thing Iā€™d really like is the easier stereo and line level connection, but I worked out solutions to those years ago. I like that the secondary functions are more accessible, but Iā€™d have to read the manuals to see if they donā€™t still have some (Iā€™d imagine so, knowing Strymon). for my pedals, I just used a label-maker to notate the secondary functions and put the labels on the bottoms of the pedals.

bummer the price went up, but not surprising either.

I like synced delays with an arp or sequence, fun with monosynths.

The fun bit with midiā€™d Strymons for me is recording your realtime knob moves from the pedal and being able to fine tune it later. Itā€™s like having an extra set of hands for evolving sequences or drones.

3 Likes

I would be careful expecting too much from its MIDI implementation: Could be that one can control only its parameters. Who knows whether the reverb could be clock synced?

BTW: IMO Source Audio offers MIDI controlled reverb and synced delay pedals for years, e.g. Nemesis Delay Nemesis Delay - Source Audio Website

For coveniant MIDI control I had to buy a Faderfox EC4 and because of MIDI via TRS as neccessary for some Strymon and Eventide pedals an additional Desaster Area MIDI Box 4. MIDI Box 4 ā€” Disaster Area Designs

Quite expensive stuff though.

1 Like

Yes I agree. Midi clocking is a must for me. I actually own the Nemesis already and the Ventris is high on the list of possible contenders for a reverb

Ventris at $399 USD is looking like a good price now

2 Likes

You might find that the Nightsky has a lot more to offer

3 Likes

Is there any chance the new deco doesnā€™t sound as good as the og? Itā€™s likely better overall, Iā€™d imagine?

The new DECO has the old algorithm and a new one. I suspect the new DSP platform is transparent (the old one was already 32bits floating point processing, so maybe thereā€™s more power or maybe they unified things in a way that will let them make new pedals more easily but I donā€™t think the end user will be able to tell)

1 Like

This is interesting. Ive often found midi clock sync on pedals a bit of a let down as they dont have a way of setting divisions. But looks like the new DIG has that functionality.

The ā€œremote tapā€ for delay tempo is what i use on my Volante. I have a template on my Force set up so i can select like half time or double time delays. Easy way to change things up.

Have a look at the Meris Mercury7. Pretty awesome stereo verb, great MIDI implementation, you can select line/instrument level. I think itā€™s $299 new (in the US) and I prefer it over the Strymon ā€“ of course, thatā€™s subjective.

1 Like

On the expensive side : CXM 1978.

4 Likes

I donā€™t need another reverb but I look at that everytime Iā€™m on (unintentionally) reverb dot com. Such an amazing looking pedal and automatic sliders get me going.

1 Like

Better?
IMO HW or SW delays and reverbs are no rocket science any more.
So not better but rather a little bit different.
Albeit I wouldnā€™t expect that someone will hear the difference except the producer.

Edit: Iā€™ve found that YT comparison. I donā€™t like it too much because for me it focusses too much on technical details.

Soundwise, I like V1 more because V2 sounds a little bit brighter / thinner to me.
Nevertheless I wonā€™t buy V1 or V2 because my NightSky is enough.

1 Like

The good news is, Iā€™ve seen some of the big-box Strymons selling for under $350 recentlyā€¦

1 Like

Keep in mind, chip shortages.
I saw the Rossum modules all went up $200-300 for just that reason :frowning:

And an amazing creative sounding Reverb.

1 Like

The Source Audio Ventris is worth looking at. Such a great Dual Reverb pedal.

3 Likes

Is the Black series a miss after these releases?

1 Like