Strymon Deco

Oh, I didn’t see that you knew that it was a phase issue, but that post should help someone. If there’s a reported 2ms signal delay like you said, there’s no way around a phase issue using aux without somehow delaying your dry track by 2ms. Using aux for delay is usually done post fader with the full wet delay line coming in from return and the mixer channel the dry signal, since it’s delayed anyway phasing usually won’t be an issue. Or you can go pre fader if it has a wet/dry knob.

Edit: I should have read more of this thread, I assumed deco was a delay. :smile: Seems you want to not use a parallel aux send with that unit. Sometimes when I’m tired I respond without knowing all the relavant info, got to work on that… :grin:

1 Like

Honestly that’s all kind of my fault. I attribute the problem primarily to the 2ms processing delay. I was looking for a celever solution like “put xy in front /after and it should be fine.”

But then we got to talking about using stuff for aux sends and it got me thinking how people get around it with all these digital boxes and the processing and routing and phasing ectectect and just started asking OTesque questions. So my bad.

Now that we’re talking I realize that this is technically my first time using an aux send and I know that’s a kind of world in of itself.

So if I understand this people don’t (usually) parallel mix the delay return with the original? They just use the delay return?

Could be a solution. I’ve been working it and it seems if I have either the return/original up more than the other it’s fine. We will see.

Thanks everyone!!

For delay and reverb on aux sends often its setup so that your dry signal is coming from the mixer channel, the aux sends the signal “post fader” which means the level to the aux send goes up and down in accordance to the channels volume fader, the delay or reverbs output is either connected to a full wet output on the device or the wet/dry is set to fully wet if there’s no separate output, and that signal comes back in to a return…

The audio sounds the same its just dry is straight from mixer channel and wet is from the aux return, and both signals go up and down with the sources channel fader as the aux is “post fader”. Setting the return to a good level you control the wet/dry with the aux send level, but you won’t get to fully wet as the dry is always comming through.

You’ll still have a 2ms offset though, I haven’t looked into the deco really so won’t comment on if/how that will affect anything.

1 Like

hey man, just dug out my Deco last night to plug it in wide stereo mode at the bum of my OP-1 and ran into the same issue. Even worse, everything was sent at the far left. Got mad, tried all kind of cables, etc etc…

Then turned the “blend” knob all the way to the right and oh my god it worked. Could it be that?

1 Like

I’m finally understanding the beauty of this pedal. I run the OP-1 though it in wide stereo mode (lag just after 12) with a bit of saturation… what a treat! Lofi niceness!!

2 Likes

It’s soooo nice. Which is why I’m so upset it’s giving me problems.

EDIT: Wide Stereo Mode is disabled with a mono input - WRONG. :frowning: Maybe if I trick it by doing the TRS stereo but only having the one aux signal…

But I don’t understand why you’re having an issue if your OP1 is plugged in directly. Or are you using it as an aux send too?

EDIT: Disabled on mono OUTPUT. Let me try some combos here.

EDIT2: This works very well. Far fewer issues than in not-Wide Stereo (the main culprit is the saturation deck: if only or mostly on it causes most of the phasing. With the Doubletracked on there are almost no issues). And it can get super trippy with different pannings. YES! Thank you for reminding me.

1 Like

Related to your issue in wide stereo mode, having more sound sent to the left, I was just saying that turning the “blend” knob on the deco all the way to the right solved my issues and could potentially solve yours as well.

Have you tried that?

1 Like

your suggestion to try the wide-stereo was def a good one as it helped clear up most of the phasing and in addition to the stereo image. I don’t love the absolute separation between the two channels but its much clearer this way.

Plus I gave a try to giving the right and left their own channels this way and working the pan makes for some wild stereo imaging.

Is the OP1 mono? Isnt all the way to the right affecting only the right channel then?

So I’m gathering with this device, if you dont run your kick drum on a separate track, the saturation can destroy it quite a bit? Has anybody tried using the low gain hidden feature to compensate for this?

I have a Deco on order and don’t plan on running separate outs on my Machinedrum, so I’m wondering if my kicks will still sound good with subtle saturation. Thanks.

did you buy it directly from strymon? otherwise you could have return it to the shop and get a new one

Should be fine. But you’ll have to try it. Deco can do subtle.

1 Like

Yeah I’m definitely excited to start using it on my Machinedrum. I wanted something for the past year to make it a little bit more warm. Should be nice to throw it on my Digitone and other gear as well.

It‘ll devour your hi-hats by default. I learned after selling it for that reason, that there is a way around. Think @JuanSOLO might have mentioned the workaround somewhere. Memories are foggy though

1 Like

Just tried this and WOW. Should have done this long ago.

1 Like

What did you, what happened? :okej:

Haha. I wanted to mention how it dawned on me that I might be able to use the Deco on the inserts of my mixer into which my modular is going. So I went looking to see if this had been already mentioned and lo and behold you suggested it to me over 2 years ago lol.

Edit: Has anyone does this on two channels of inserts with Deco in stereo configuration? Did it work no problem? I would need a third Y-cable to make it work, no?

Edit2: Or would this work? https://www.amazon.com/SiYear-Connector-Speaker-Splitter-Adapter/dp/B073TBGG6Q/ref=sr_1_3?crid=3RCM9IE5BAL5Z&dchild=1&keywords=2+female+1%2F4+to+1+male+1%2F4&qid=1614360412&sprefix=2+female+1%2F4+%2Caps%2C302&sr=8-3

2 Likes

I also sold my Deco because it killed my hi hats. Now that I have an Analog Heat, I wonder how it would sound if I brought the highs back up again with the Heat, post-Deco.

1 Like

Do you mean using it as an insert over 2 mono channels of your mixer?
If so then yes, just stick one of these in the input of your Deco and you’re good to go.

I don’t have my Deco any more and my mixer doesn’t have TRS inserts but I don’t see why this wouldn’t work.

@d_hansen are you sure the high cut filter was fully open? I think this caught me out at one point with my Deco as I’d completely forgotten about the filters on the secondary function!

1 Like

Thanks for the confirmation!

1 Like

Good move.

1 Like