Strymon Big Sky MX (Dual Reverb)

Guess people have just seen this new launch?

Always missed my Big Sky so this was a instant buy as im in the middle of assembling a new “high end” pedalboard

5 Likes

Damn, that’s cool. Maybe I can nab a Big Sky for cheap to pair up with the one I’ve got. We’ll seeee.

679$

5 Likes

The ones i saw second hand in the beginning of April was like $365… Guess they will dive fast…

Edit: Latest used offer $325 today…

1 Like

4 Likes

Wonder if the will MX their other big ones aswell?

1 Like

Yeah you would think they are around the corner…

1 Like

Hi! I know this is probably answered twenty milllion times on here, Reddit threads and all sorts but I’m after an effects box (mostly for reverb) to go with my OB6 and occasionally other bits (Nord Drum and bass guitar at a stretch). I’ve been looking at the H90 but am scared it’s going to be endless menu diving too many options and want something hands on. Big Sky sounds gorgeous (especially this version) but worried that it’ll be limited / overused and has a specific sound. I want something flexible but it has to be tweakable live. Is it very good at that or am I looking in the wrong place?

Just like with most things all the demos probably do only the most obvious things, but can you take this to fun experimental places? Are the knobs and dials fun to play with live and tweak? Or is the H90 and a midi controller (or something else) a much better idea because it does a lot more.

If you need an effect box go for the H90. Strymon reverbs could be more straightforward but the quality of the algorythms is not so much better than Eventide…

2 Likes

I would go for a Chroma Console + a Reverb pedal like a Ventris or an AH+FX.

2 Likes

I hope I can snatch one of them^^

The MX’s IRs certainly seems interesting, can even load custom IRs!

1 Like

Great pedal if you’re into that. I still hope they do rack versions at some point.
Or even better… 500 series modules! :cool:

Their normal boxes are too expensive imo
Their new boxes … no thanks.

Can say that the Meris is a big contender and it’s a derivative of Strymon based

1 Like

I bought one last year. We want more and more, more processor, more features… But I’m totally sure that great records were made with the original. I’m only defending my purchase because it’s painful to see that you’ve bought one not so far ago and there’s a new version in the market. I don’t need this new pedal. I’m totally covered with the original. I don’t mind if it sounds better or worse.
Great records and YouTube videoswere made with the original…

2 Likes

i bought one yesterday and have no regrets :joy: the original is an amazing reverb no doubt, and i’m always happy to see new strymon pedals.

1 Like

Grab a Big Sky v1 and H9. Probably get both for the price of an H90 or Big Sky Mx. I’ve got bot of them, a Hologram, Empress Reverb, and DL4 as my efx station, and I always end up using the BS for lush verbs.

1 Like

One of the most cliched, overused sounds in recent history (at least on YouTube) is yet another synth bro playing their modular or whatever through H90 presets and basking in the impressive, “experimental” result.

It’s not the fault of the H90 or any other effects unit. It’s more to do with people being more into buying new music technology than spending the time to explore its creative possibilities.

Compared to the H90 the BIgSky is more of a dedicated device focused on various reverbs or reverb-adjacent FX types. It’s not trying to be an all-in-one FX wonder box. But if you find yourself overwhelmed by choice, that’s its strength. If that’s what you’re looking for.

They’re pedals. Connect it to another dedicated pedal that does something else, and so on, until you create the chain that matters to you.

I’m still blown away to this day with my now ancient QuadraVerb. Yeah, it does reverbs, etc. but it doesn’t need to be used in such a way. You can get weird with it. The same is true of the FX units of today. So much can be done with very little.

2 Likes

I use the software BigSky native, I wonder if there will be a an MX version of this? Maybe just the new algorithms, Paid upgrade?

1 Like

I really don’t see why not. They wouldn’t have to change the gui, just add the new algorithms. Although having two instance streamlined in one package might be better for the cpu load, vs two seperate instances of Big Sky.