Struggling to get into first gear with octatrack. Some questions…

Hi all.

I’ve had the ot mk2 for a week. I’ve spent a couple of hours toying around, the rest of the time reading a viewing info. This might sound a bit daft but here goes. All the info I’ve come accross is all good and handy but I’ve tried to find some more basic rudimentary stuff to get me going but can’t find what I’m after? For all I know I’m probably using the wrong terminology yielding results however useful but not my needs.
So I’m more than happy for peeps to provide links or explanations to help me move forward?

Here goes.

I’ve got samples in there. I’ve assigned samples to tracks, I’ve managed to place a sample on the first trig key and have it loop back. I’ve opened the sample editor and here I’ve lost momentum. Basically I’m trying to slice a sample so I can trigger different slices in a different order ect.
I create a slice grid, at which point I can play back 1 slice at a time Un looped in the editor, How do I get these slices onto the trig keys to either program a sequence or just hear each slice on different keys?
Can anyone provide a link to potential tutorials or edumicate my prolly foundation question?
I’m sure once I’ve learned this operation I will be well on the way to productive sessions with the ot which I’m really looking forward to.

Thanks in advance.

1 Like

Enter grid recording mode by pressing record, press and hold a trig on your desired step, and turn the B knob (labelled as STRT on the 1st page) to lock a slice to the step. You can also preview a trig once it has been entered with trig + yes.

Edit: also, you need to tell the machine to use slice mode by double tapping Playback (MKI) or SRC (MKII) and turning B clockwise. Slice to On.

Another edit: There is a specific Slice mode for the trig keys, too, along with Chromatic, Slots, etc. Func + Down brings up all of your options there.

4 Likes

The Loopop video on Octatrack is a great tutorial. It doesn’t cover everything in the most logical order, but it discusses slicing and trig modes, which is what you want. Look at the time stamps in the video description to figure out where the topics are. Watch the video start to finish. Then do it again. Then go back to topics that confuse you.

Once I found myself watching Octatrack videos by other Youtubers and found myself shouting out the solutions when they said “I wonder why it’s doing this/how to do that,” that was when I knew I was ready to get the Octa.

4 Likes

18 Likes

Cuckoo’s two videos are great. And they’ve aged much better than that hairstyle.

3 Likes

You might want to use timestretch on Cuckoo’s videos but unlike the OT on the x1,5 time (Youtube better than OT?!?)

2 Likes

There’s also this topic in this very forum:

It might become handy if you’re struggling with some particular points or to get useful informations you wouldn’t have thought about in the first place.

Admins can probably merge your topic in this one if you ask them, for better referencing.

This explains slicing in a very clear way…

You get 5 free previews so choose wisely if you don’t want to pay :wink:

1 Like

Hot Take…

I leave it on, and it doesn’t bother me.

1 Like

It is like the filter always on or the 16 bits option. They DO bother, you just don’t know it yet :rofl:

2 Likes

Sometimes I like to change tempo, so it’s handy. That’s what it’s for right? :slight_smile:

3 Likes

The timestretch algorithm on the OT is pretty bad IMO and gives quickly artefacts. That’s a pity for a sampler but it is what it is.

The filter when it’s on an FX slot colors the sound even if you don’t touch any parameter.

3 Likes

Hey guys.

Thanks for the great info I have learned a great deal and I’m getting some funky stuff happening.
I’ve decided to incorporate it into the studio as opposed to using it in bed ect. Such a move has revealed some areas I require help with?

So I decided to try to create a click track to send to my Mbase 2… failed. I can do it on my mpc but cannot figure it out on OT?
The moves I’ve made are running a cable from the cue out to trig in then on OTs track 7 I have dialed pan all the way left and right with no luck. I’m guessing there’s some routing I need to do but I don’t know where? Or what?
Also it would be good if I can route the click track without hearing the OTs click?

Hopefully someone or somebodies can point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance.

Hi all.

Just want to say… thanks on a few different levels? The help, the sarcasm and the negative crap.

I’ve made an effort to avoid upsetting peeps by going and printing of a copy of the elektron octatrack mk 2 manual.

Just want to say that my vision is a bit krass and I only access the net via my phone and so I have to zoom to read most material. Also I have an ABI so my memory is not to good.

I’m sorry to rattle peeps bones was not my intestines.

I do honestly hope the peeps who are quick to judge, oppose or criticise members asking genuine questions mature enough to actually contribute wisely. I do know young temper, I’ve been there.

Thanks again all.

Party on!