Strategies for looping random with OT Midi tracks/LFOs

How are you creating looping random events within the OT?

With the random LFO and various trig conditions, I’m able to create a lot of randomness in my sequences/modulations, but I’m finding it less easy to create locked loops of that randomness, which to me is key to keeping things musical, instead of ever evolving randomness.

On the audio track side, I have more or less solved this by having one track process an input with a lot of random modulations - but I don’t listen to the output of this track - instead I have a second flex track setup to record this “random” track, creating a bar or two loop from it, which I then play back and loop/continue to process as desired.

On the midi sequencer side I can’t figure out a way to do something similar to the above. Is there no way to resample/record the internal midi tracks? (aside from plugging a midi cable from out > in? Kinda want to avoid this route if I can.)

I could also make things work if there was a way to lock loops from the random shaped lfo. Is there a way to do this somehow? Maybe in combination with trig conditions?

Basically I would love with the midi sequencer to be able create 16-32 step sequences on the fly whose trigger patterns, LFO and CC values are all randomly created at will, and then loop for as long as I want. How could I do this?

Thanks for any ideas!

1 Like

I’m crazy about under control randomization. I prefer subtle constant variations than freezed randomness, or I’d randomize the playback of freezed loops I recorded with slices. :content:.

Already answered to you here :
Randomization possibilities (especially in MIDI mode) - #14 by sezare56

Btw I think it would be interesting to move this topic in above one…
@moderators ?

Speed 0 is the answer. I use FILL to activate randomize.
Crappy example with the greatest Latch trick : Mr Toothpick ! (Needed the other hand to shoot)

Same principle :

2 Likes
1 Like

This is awesome, thanks!

Thanks! But I’m having trouble following you here. I have my LFO setup as such:

I have a trigger on every step. Velocity for the track at 0. So hoping to create a random pattern via Velocity controlled by random LFO. But I’m unable to get any looping random…

Try with an lfo1 designer with different values (you can use randomize lfo designer function). Sync Trig mode maybe…Multiply 64.

Randomize its speed with lfo2
Speed 0 to freeze lfo1 speed.

1 Like