Strange MIDI/Preset Issue

Hey everyone,

I just updated my Digitakt and Waldorf Blofeld to the latest OS, but I’m having a strange issue. I have MIDI out from the Digitakt running into the Blofeld. I will press start on the Digitakt to play the pattern and I will play the Blofeld using Chromatic mode on the Digitakt. As soon as I stop the pattern, the Blofeld goes back to the very first preset. Has anyone else had this issue or know a solution?

Do you have a bank and/or program set on the Midi Track on the Digitakt controlling the Blofeld?

Yes I figured it out! Whenever you stop the sequence it goes back to whatever program is set on the digitakt. Thank you.

1 Like

hi there.i have the same issue with my virus polar.i set banks,chanels,patches but still when i press stop goes to first preset. do you find a solution?

1 Like

Press the “SRC” button on the digitakt. It is controlled from that screen.

I’m not 100% sure this is related so if I need to make a new post, not a problem.

I’m having a similar issue as well. I have a DT controlling an SH-01a (for the sake of total transparency, it’s also passing through a MIDI Splitter, which feeds several other Roland Boutique synths, all of which exhibit the same issue). Every time I stop and start the pattern it sends a program change message and resets the patch. I don’t want this to happen, I just want the system to spit midi notes at it’s assigned channel and leave the program changes to me.

Now, as in every forum, I imagine the responses will range from RTFM to “A common mistake, fellow traveler, I too have errorred in this way, look no further than page 59, section 15.31.1 where it will tell you where to disable this! Namaste!”

As you can guess, since I’m quoting the manual by chapter and verse, that’s not working. The box that says Prog Chg Send is definitely unchecked.

Does anyone know why the digitakt is STILL sending program change messages?

EDIT: I can change the program number on the SRC screen and it will always load that particular number. I want to turn off Program Change altogether and send NO Program Change messages at all.

Thanks!
-SpeakingInTones

1 Like

So, I thought I had found the answer, but really I just found more questions…

If you hold down FUNC and then press the knob for bank and prog on the SRC menu, you can clear out the bank and pattern. So far so good, however, the synth still goes back to the default for whatever patch is loaded, so it must still be sending patch change info of some sort, right?

Hopefully that’s helpful to someone.
-SpeakingInTones

Well, when you set both Bank and Prog to OFF in the SRC menu, maybe another track sends it on the same MIDI channel?

Another idea: maybe the receiving side processing message of any channel (OMNI). Just for testing, try to set Bank and Prog to OFF on all eight MIDI tracks.

1 Like

AH HAH! Man… honestly I feel a little dumb for missing that but what you’ve described is EXACTLY what fixed it. I also had to disable all of the CC controllers on the filter page as that was sent at the beginning of every restart (dropping my filter to 0 fer instance).

So thank you sir! That got me sorted out. Now, if I have that turned off in the global settings menu why in the world would the channel settings override that? Is that a bug or a feature?!?

Thanks again!
-SpeakingInTones

1 Like

Good to hear :slight_smile:

I think the global settings turn off the sending of CCs when you operate the machine’s controls (it’s encoders and stuff like that).

(can only guess here without a Digitakt, but the other machines behave that way)

So, on the DT there’s a setting I was talking about in the menu where you can turn off the ability to send Prog Chg messages. That appears to be meaningless as I can still send Prog Chg messages. Anyone else with a DT having the same issue? Just trying to sort out if I should report as a bug or not…

Thanks again!

The menu program change send will send pc change 0 to 127 based on the pattern you are on, in sequential order. Most useful for syncing other Elektrons to the same pattern number…

The midi track program change is completely independent of that and needs to be enabled/disabled on the midi tracks…

2 Likes

I read through your post a few times, I’m still having trouble with that. In the section for the main Program Change it says…

15.3.1 SYNC…
PRG CH SEND will, when active, send program change messages when patterns are changed. The
MIDI channel that will send program change messages is set in the MIDI CHANNELS menu. For more
information, please see “15.3.3 CHANNELS” on page 60.

And on the SRC entry it says:
12.3.2 BANK
Bank is used for sending out a bank change message. Bank 1 to 128 can be sent. (OFF, 1–128)
12.3.3 PROG
Program change is used for sending out a program change message. Program 1 to 128 can be sent.
(OFF, 0–128)

Since the change is happening when the pattern starts, wouldn’t that mean that turning the main off would turn this one off as well? It seems like a global setting should be…global? Whereas you’re saying they’re two totally different things. Since the manual doesn’t provide any distinction between the two, I’m not sure if I’m missing something or if that’s just the nature of the beast?

My initial problem’s sorted out, so this is more just trying to understand ‘The Tao of Elektron’ than anything else.

-SpeakingInTones

Yes they are two totally separate things and do not interact with each other…
The sync menu sends a program change according to what pattern your on using the channel set in the midi channels menu… It is relative to the pattern your on, for example pattern A1 would send pc 0, A2 would send pc 1, etc… This is most useful if you want to have another Elektron follow along so when you change from A1 to A2 on the digitakt, you other Elektron changes to A2 as well, it syncs the patterns…

The midi sequencer has a completely other program change feature that can send any bank and program change you want, to any channel using that tracks midi channel… Say you have a synth connected on channel 8 and want it to use its program number 33 or whatever when you use that midi track, it will do that… On another track you have a synth on channel 11 and want it to use its program 44 for that midi track, it can do that…

It’s possible to use them both at the same time as long as the program change in the sync menu is using a different channel… You can have an Elektron change to the same pattern number when you switch patterns on DT, and also have other synths changing their programs according to the midi tracks settings you made…

It’s very good that it behaves this way as it adds flexibility and is basically two different features…

I don’t have a DT, I’m an OT guy, but it’s pretty similar as are the workflow/settings for all Elektrons… What I don’t know is if you have your midi tracks muted if it will still send the change or not, or if you have to disable it on the midi track…

If you don’t need program change for anything just uncheck the boxes in the sync menu and don’t turn them on for the midi tracks… Just leave bank and prog set to off and don’t go messing with those settings… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Wow, what Fixed the issue for me was turning off the CC controller values on the filter page. Phew glad I looked here!

1 Like

Having this issue ATM…

any1?

Figured it out; disabled “Bank” and leavesubbank and prog on