Storing samples in the project folder

Thats really strange. I’m always pleasantly surprised that if I turn on my Octa, load a random project and a random bank, everything sounds as it did before. Only exception being if I’m running midi to my Monomachine, but I typically record my Monomachine into the Octa and save it if it’s a part I particularly like.

Perhaps you’re not saving samples from the rec buffers? Perhaps you have a lot of midi tracks going to other external gear?

You trained your OT to be a Cannibal? OM-F-G, is that even legal?

1 Like

:slight_smile::smiley::slightly_smiling_face:

No, not at all. First, I’m not using the midi sequencer of the OT. I don’t need it really, I use the one from the Digitone and I don’t need much more. Maybe one day I will, but most synth parts are played live, eventually live-sampled on the OT but not necessarily. Second, I have other devices that run sequences too. Much of what I do in the OT is produced live on the spot. On its own, a OT project doesn’t produce much sound in my configuration. Like @Open_Mike I need to “feed” it with live-produced material and almost never save the recording buffers. Sources can be synths, guitar, bass guitar, resampling, on-the-spot field-recordings… all this can evolve, of course but as of today that’s how the OT fits in my set-up.

1 Like

Animoog is a great synth, I use it too. I’ll take a look at the others mentioned there…thanks for the link

1 Like

I think I had the answer I was seeking in this topic, but I’d like to be sure.
Forgive the question, but I’m still walking on eggs shells with the Octatrack and I have a gig to play soon with it.

I’m now adapting some tunes of one of my band made in my computer (NI Maschine) to the Octatrack. So I exported many samples and put them the in the set dedicated to this band.

But these samples are specific to theses tracks and most of them won’t be used again in future projects.

Si I have many samples in the pool that are not relevant for future compositions I’ll make with the Octatrack and I’d like to remove them and put them in a specific subfolder without searching them again in each machine.

If I do a “collect samples” function, will these samples be copied in each project audio folder and I’ll be able to delete them from the root of the pool ? The machines will find them in the new place ?

Thanks for the answer.

“Collect samples” just works for the current active project (it doesn’t touch any other project).

So if a sample is used in two projects and you perform “collect samples” only on one of them and delete it from the global pool, the second project won’t find it anymore.

2 Likes

Thanks a lot. That’s what I had understood, but no matter : these samples I’m talking about are specific to each project.
That’s why I don’t want to keep them at the root of the pool.