Stimming OT review

OTO Boum - it’s a compressor BOUM – Oto Machines

1 Like

I was considering the OT for a while, and then saw the Stimming video and the sound quality comment bummed me out. But this thread has cheered me up :smiley:

Also, I figured the OT should be more about immediacy and creativity to me than being perfect in terms of fidelity.

Anyway, I pulled the trigger and will receive mine tomorrow :dancer:

I hope it doesn’t overwhelm me as it did 8 years ago. This time I’m going to mainly focus on live use and improvisation and not try to make it the centerpiece of my studio composition workflow. So looking forward to it! :smiley:

8 Likes

i do this as well, less than a year, i’m pretty good with OT, still need to look up how to do stuff all the time, but a lot of coffee…

Stimming repeats his opinion on the OT sounding really bad in the last podcast with Jamie.

If you can’t setup the machine, yeah … 24bit Martin, 24bit … :fist:t2::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1:31:10 is where he starts talking about OT, if like me you could not bear to listen to all the circle jerking :laughing:

2 Likes

Iirc the 24 vs 16 bit setting only applies to samples that are 24 bits and loaded into flex slots. Someone mentioned it in the context of Thru machines but that’s just placebo am I right?

Actually sounds fine at 16bit too, just as long as you turn off time stretch on things like single shot samples where it isn’t needed, and understand the gain staging.

I’m still waiting for someone to post an example of ANY sound that was (unintentionally) ruined by the Octatrack, I’ll happily load it into my own OT and see if I agree.

8 Likes

Yeah … not the best episode :joy:

2 Likes

i’m amazed how 1 single persons review has lead to such a long thread.

1 x persons review.

1 ! …

1 Like

Probably because he is “a pro” so his words might carry more weight to some people who might miss out on all the fun if they believe it.

Anyway, I found the talk a bit pretentious and too “snobbish middle class” for my taste, making music for pilled up clubbers does not need such high brow, chin stroking bs talk, IMHO. :laughing:

11 Likes

That’s how I always perceived him.

4 Likes

I did listen to some of his tracks a few weeks ago, he can make some interesting stuff , I only know of him as an influencer.

If he’s able earn a living then good luck to him , otherwise he just has an opinion like everyone else … no more or less valuable.
Perhaps the OT is what inspired him to make a 3k analog box. Again … good luck to him … he must’ve put in a lot more effort making that box than I would ( I’m just a bloke with an opinion on a forum )

Time to mute this thread

2 Likes

So I really like the time stretch on OT. Can’t understand the beef!

Mixing time stretch and pitch on vocals fills me with a lot of psychedelic nostalgia.

3 Likes

You can lower it now.

Ditto

Even Stimming in his review said that he liked the time stretching algorithm. His critique was about the converters… :roll_eyes:

Was referring to all the folks talking about switching off time stretch.

Like kicks, like in the Stimming video, like where he did not turn it off, like where he said it (the kick) sounded bad, like where if he had turned it off it would not have sounded bad. Out.

He also walked back the €1 converter comment.

1 Like

UR22 was released in 2013. When OT hit the stores in 2011 it already had the entry level usb audio interface sound quality from the future. If that’s not unique, I don’t know what is. Lol.

2 Likes

“hangin out with audiophile”

why am I not surprised ? :rofl:

2 Likes