Still getting sporadic clicks and pops in my Digitone output

I’ve owned a Digitone since they were launched and there’s always been a persistent click and pop artifacting that happens sparsely and at random, but is bloody annoying.

I’ve seen posts about that in the past and it was the general consensus that it would eventually be rectified in a software update, but here we are in 2020 and my unit still has this issue.

The issue mostly seems to occur when using the external inputs, but I’ve also heard the artifacts when nothing is else is plugged into the machine. I hear the clicks and pops in the FX a lot.

I’m on the latest firmware. Is anyone else still experiencing this issue? I’m starting to wonder if it’s a hardware issue now.

Well, guess I am in the minority here, so I will contact Elektron and update on the resolution!

Clicks and pops can occur with almost any synth, it’s most likely due to a very short attack time on the amp envelope or voice stealing.

Voice stealing between tracks can be avoided by assigning a static number of voices to each track.

If it occurs mostly on the external inputs, it might be because you have different fx or volume settings between patterns. Suddenly changing delay or reverb time can cause some weird artifacts while sound is going through them.

1 Like

This issue happens with nothing playing either internally or externally, so it’s not related to the envelopes or voice stealing. It will just be sitting there doing absolutely nothing and then randomly send out a couple pops every other minute or so. Happens without the FX engaged at all, but if they are applied to the external inputs then the pops actually pass through the FX too.

If nothing is playing internal or external and you still experience pops and clicks, there must be something wrong hardware-wise.

So I guess you were right about opening a support ticket.

Good luck, hope it will be resolved quickly.

I’d try disconnecting everything from the DT other than your headphones. Test.
It could be the USB cable, or the audio input device is on a different power outlet, etc.

Sounds like it (or the cables involved) picks up some radio interference. Are there any senders nearby like a smartphone or similar?

1 Like

some wireless mice are really bad about getting picked up by audio cables, you might want to move your mouse around near your cables and see it gets picked up. But yeah it could be many things causing interference.

I promise you guys I have tested this extensively over the last two years and I have eliminated cables, external interference, and outside factors as being a possible cause. It is definitely a problem with the machine itself.

Then it’s really time to contact Elektron support, isn’t it?

The clicks and pops reported here previously were all about when the machine is playing and not when it is stopped.

Have you also eliminated dirty power as a source of the problems? I would at least try it at a complete different location like a friend’s house.

Have you tested in a different room on headphones?

I lived in a different house when I got my Digitone, it was an issue there and is an issue here. I also have an A4, Digitakt and Rytm and none of them exhibit the same issue.

1 Like

Well Elektron has repaired my machine and I am expecting it back on Monday whenever UPS delivers it. I’ll report back!

2 Likes

Do and did you live in busy neighborhoods

Got the Digitone back a few days ago and so far have not observed any pops or clicks coming from it when idle. Elektron’s rep indicated that my unit’s CPU would likely need to be replaced but I don’t know what they ultimately did. In either case it’s better now!

Yeas me too on my Digitakt, whether it playing or not