Sticking with the OG Digitakt?

Interested to see if anyone else is keeping the OG Digitakt now the amazing Digitakt 2 has been released.

I will eventually bag the DT2 no doubt, but for now I’m sticking with the OG. I love the combination of the DT & the Microfreak. I’m creating a lot of music with this simple set up. Yea I am missing some features and hard drive real estate, but its doing a good job now, so I’m going have it stick around.

12 Likes

to be real, I don’t have the extra money to sink into the new one, I hate selling old gear but when I do, I don’t want to sell it when the market is flooded and prices are low. I’m not hurting for samplers at the moment, I’ll stick with what I have until the right deal comes along. but I’m super interested in seeing what everyone does with it.

I basically feel like if I sell both of my original DTs to fund one DT2, it’s not a great option for me. I’d rather wait until the DT one market stabilizes and maybe get rid of one of them to replace with a DT2. I think that sounds more realistic if for some reason I don’t gel with the “modular workflow” or something, then I’m not just starting over from zero.

35 Likes

I have no intention of upgrading. The DT is primarily a drum machine for me, and I think those sound better in mono. The extra steps/tracks would also be kind of a waste for my workflow…I struggle to use 8 tracks as it is, and 128 steps is a mighty long pattern. I’d rather use LFO’s and trig conditions to add variety.

I don’t know, maybe I’m just a simpleton. Literally haven’t touched song mode either because it’s so easy to switch patterns manually. I’ll admit the stereo element would be nice for melodic elements or white noise tracks that fill up the stereo field, but I’m more than happy doing that part in Ableton. So many other places I could invest the money.

43 Likes

I have the new on on order and am told it will hopefully ship late next week. When it comes I have no intention on selling the old one. I may narrow its focus. Instead, once the D2 comes I plan to sell my MPC’s. I’ve been getting really frustrated with Akai’s policy of limited software installs and their screwed up expansion pack management.

4 Likes

I hear ya, most of the electronic music I listen to is pretty simple, it’s amazing what you squeeze out of 4 bars and 8 tracks on the DT :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Same here. Most of the time I make fairly minimal beats on the DT. Tracks 6, 7, and 8 are frequently used for melodic elements, maybe a baseline in there too. Sometimes if I try and squeeze in something on track 7 and 8, it gets too crowded and doesn’t really add anything to make the song better. I like the idea of having 16 tracks available, but in practice, my music may start to sound pretty jumbled and crowded.

But, I’m sure I’ll cave eventually and get a DT II. I might not use all the tracks, but if I need them, they’re there. Plus all the extra new features would be really nice to explore.

4 Likes

You use two Digitakts? That’s awesome. There might be things you can do with those two that can’t be done with a single DT2, like sending MIDI back and forth between the two units.

I’m probably going to get the DT2 at some point, but I’m not ditching my OG DT. I love that thing. There’s something about its simplicity that makes it special

10 Likes

I sold my Digitakt two years ago and tried out different gear for sampling and sequencing, such as Ableton, Cirklon, and Oxione. I eventually sold my Cirklon and bought the Oxione because I couldn’t find an intuitive and inspiring workflow with the Cirklon. I gave the Oxione a chance, but my feelings toward it were lukewarm.

However, with the announcement and rumors about the Digitakt II, my interest for the DT was reignited, and two days ago, I bought a used OG Digitakt again. I must say, everything clicked again yesterday, and I had the best time in my studio in a long while. I plan to use Oxione as the brain for melodies, generative stuff, and basslines, while the Digitakt will be used for beat creation and modulation source for my trusty VSTs. The OG Digitakt will still be a useful tool, and at the moment, the used prices are a bargain.

8 Likes

When I owned a car, I would drive it until the garage said it wasn’t worth repairing. I hang on to my laptops, tablets, and phones through many model iterations.

The OGDT joins my A4mk1 and AHmk2, great devices that do great things for me. If a reason comes along to upgrade, like I hit a wall or a terrific deal comes along, I might do it. I’m in no hurry at all.

30 Likes

Not upgrading from DT1. No doubt the DT2 has massive upgrades. But my perspective on stuff like this is often to ask “well, have I hit a brick wall before knowing the new version was coming?”. No.

It obviously depends on the individual. For example, how much are you trying to do with minimal gear, maybe its mainly for live play, etc.

For me, the DT1 still has the same things to be explored as it did before any inkling a DT2 was even a possibility. I do feel that wince when new things are announced however, of somehow being left in the dust, like my old version is lacking, like im missing out on the winning ticket to the sonic mountain top, etc.

But in this way, it actually fortifies my love for the DT1. I talk alot with a friend about this stuff, limitations in music creation. And personally, after acquiring more gear than I need and knowing very well about the GAS conundrum, Im learning to deny the impulse to fall for every NEW thing or version that comes out. Or I should say, be distracted by it. I mean, you look at the life of how many vintage synths that were only V1s, with no option for a firmware change even. And those are still being sought after.

To me, this new release couches DT1 in the realm of a classic. With its yellow screen and all, Im not ready to abandon my baby boy☺️

10 Likes

…the “only” change here is for the nay sayers, that complainted all along, 64 bars ain’t enough, mono sampling ain’t enough…now u got it…stop complaining…

for aaaaaaall the rest of us, no matter how truuly tempting the new dt might be…no need to rush into it or not stay happy with what u already got for good…

many will sell their “old” dt now anyways…but staying calm is always the better advice…
if u don’t need a dt right now, u can easily wait it out a little…2nd prices will be most likely never that low while brand new prices will be most likely never that high as where it’s at right now…
so, in just a few month from now, u can still be happy to act on it…
no panic on the hw titanic…

7 Likes

Not selling mine. It does everything I need it to do (drum/one-shot sampler with in-built sequencer) and does 90% of it very well.

I really like what they did with the Digitakt II, but more features in every device I own is not always a good thing. I’ve been learning to appreciate more focused devices over all-in-one grooveboxes more and more, and I see the DT as such a focused device.

10 Likes

Thats well put Hausland. Exactly what I was trying to get at. Its like, the expanded version highlights the beauty and focus of the original. Its nice seeing others expressing similar perspectives on it.

1 Like

As some of the previous posters commented, too, I won’t upgrade now or in the near future. Yes, it’s definitely a great upgrade to the OG, but I think that’s especially the case if you don’t own a DT or the DT is your primary instrument.

Almost killed on YouTube for posting my gear list :wink: but what I meant to say is that I have multiple devices capable of sampling and/or sequencing. Besides that I have several options for adding effects to the mix or sample signal.

So I definitely stay with the OG for now. The DT has its unique place in my setup that it suits well. Maybe that will change when a new version of the Octatrack arises…

2 Likes

I’m in a similar boat as @shigginpit. I’m gonna hold out on the DT2 until it goes on sale or I’m a bit more flush. I could see the og DT going in to a setup for darkwake where I don’t stack a ton of instruments down the road.

1 Like

I’ll probably never sell my OG DT. I’m too sentimental and it reminds me of my late friend who got me into music.

20 Likes

I’m sticking with my shiny E25 and will take it to my grave. :slight_smile:

The DTII looks great, but it’s pretty endless what you can do with the DT, and I’m not that fussed about what the updates would bring. I’m more interested in picking up an AR MKII in all honesty.

4 Likes

I’m sticking with the OG, I love that thing.

But I think if I became hellbent on slimming down my gear to just one device, or if I was starting over and only going to focus on one main music-making hub, DT2 would be the way to go. Maybe that day will come at some point.

1 Like

Lately with all the DT2 buzz, I’ve been remembering what the OG DT was at the beginning and how much it evolved. I was already very happy with the box before they extended the pitch range and added the second LFO, let alone all the features in 1.50 — of course I’m still happy with it now! Last week I could get by without a euclidean sequencer and LFO slew, so I’m sure today I’ll be fine without them :wink:

I will still buy it, I know this. I am a sampler junkie and I’m weak.

3 Likes

Same here. I’ll eventually buy it someday, but I’ve yet to feel limited by DT1, and it’s still more than enough in my current setup.

What I like in DT2: comb filter is top feature for me, chorus, then stereo is nice to make glitch-type breaks on master recordings.

I bought my DT1 for 680€ new, so 50% more for DT2 isn’t currently worth it for me. I’ll wait for a sale, not in a hurry.

1 Like