Steve Roach live in Tucson

I’ve had a career there as a UI designer since 1998, Phoenix was a great place during that time, lots of opportunities but a small tight network. But the whole time I’ve been trying to get down to Tucson, for the reasons you cite. But now: remote! YAY.

2 Likes

Yes, it was great fun to meet some Elektronauts. I tried to advertise myself by wearing a Kraftwerk shirt, seemed to work.

I too really liked the intimate, keyboard intro to the show. Pretty bold! Hold a concert halls attention with one instrument for an extended meditation. And he did. Also a great set up for the first escalation to sequencer land.

Also nice to reconnect with Steve, he helped me in the Timeroom in 1994 with some mixing and tape transfers for my first CD Byzantium. He has always been incredibly supportive of aspiring artists. I had my first contact with him before Dreamtime Return. I sent him some tapes and I got a letter from him. He had been in Australia for Dreamtime and was listening to my tapes on long bus rides. You can imagine the shot in the arm that gave me. But Steve is like that.

Jeff Greinke, who played Sunday but I had to miss, gave me one of the most memorable concerts, sometime around 1996 in Phoenix. I had traded tapes with he as well.

Steve invited me to get in touch with him about performing, which I had been hoping would happen in some way after I got down here. Hopefully something develops in the way of a scene down here. I keep hearing about musicians and music business people moving here, I don’t know, something cool might be brewing.

PS yeah we had that late summer stagnant thing going on, it happens sometimes.

5 Likes

I miss the saguaro already and there’s more butterflies in Tucson than I’ve seen in a long time. It’s a special place.

Some nice people paid our bill for us at a cafe since we were actually talking with each other rather than being glued to the smartphones. That’s a first for me and I’m hoping to pay it forward.

2 Likes

Wife and I have been discussing getting out of the rat race up here. Our house has doubled in value since we bought it in 2018. We are highly considering downsizing and outright buying a place with the profits. We both would rather have time and options vs a fancy place.

If we stay in Arizona I’m going to be trying to convince her to buy a place in Tucson. I hadn’t gone there until recently but I definitely got a vibe from the place. Maybe I’ll be around to join in on growing the music scene someday :wink:

4 Likes

Tucson, being smaller, you can get great properties around the fringes with some land. But it’s still only 20 minutes from downtown. And the bubble is over down here, prices are falling a little now.

1 Like

I grew up in Tucson. I also worked at Eegees as a kid (with all of my best friends). Great town, but I eventually grew weary of the heat and sweating like a pig.

1 Like

Recently discovered Steve Roach. Love his work. Would’ve went to the concert if I wasn’t in the wrong continent :slight_smile:

1 Like

Looks like Steve is playing again tomorrow (5/2/23) for those interested.
Here is the link to more information.