Steve Roach live in Tucson

Anyone else going? Looking forward to seeing my #1 synth inspiration in action. He’s apparently added a Hydrasynth to his setup recently so we’ll see if I need to put it on my list for Santa. :blush:

5 Likes

Nice! I live up in Phoenix, wouldn’t mind checking it out if I am able.

My life is a whirlwind though (two toddlers and the youngest started pre-school this week).

3 Likes

I wish I could see him live. Been a fan for well over 30 years. His live albums are among his best, so I am sure it will be a fantastic show.

2 Likes

Alive in the Vortex is a big favorite of mine. I promised myself sometime in the last couple of years I’d go see him if he played in Tucson again so here we are.

1 Like

Nice! Just wanted to wave from downtown Tucson, I’m grounded with pretty severe long covid right now, but appreciate the announcement, hope it’s a great show!

2 Likes

I read that title at first as “Steve Roach lives in Tucson.” I was like, “okay.”

2 Likes

I just moved to Tucson, perfect timing. I met him a few times back in the 90s, terrific guy.

2 Likes

Wait a second…I thought I was the only one who lived in Tucson. You telling me other people live here???

2 Likes

If there’s enough of us, we should do some shows, or something. If only so there’s somewhere in Tucson you definitely won’t hear a Jimmy Buffet cover.

2 Likes

I’m just visiting for the show, so if anyone has recommendations for coffee and donuts, dinner, or a nice reposado Dave Smith style I’d love to hear them.

1 Like

Where you staying?

My wife and I will be there!

1 Like

Hotel Congress. The spouse enjoyed being there at Southwest Terror Fest.

1 Like

Theres a Whiskey and Donut joint west of you called Batch. Has the largest selection of whiskey in the state. For breakfast/brunch check out Little Poca Cosa. It’s next to the Downtown library and is a popular place. Dinner offers a plethora of options with 4th and Downtown recently having a ton of new places open. You can also strow down Campbell to Fatman Kitchen (authentic Chinese), or Sheri Punjab for Indian. Boca Tacos on Fourth is pretty popular and good, but maybe slightly a little hyped. Martins right next door has been a popular destination for a bit, and Brooklyn pizza is owned by a friend, and good as well. Near you your coffee options are Cartel Roasters and again on fourth is Cafe Maggie which is sort of a popular hang out for java drinkers. For Bars you’ve got Fatheads, also owned by a good friend of mine, Solar Culture, owned by Brooklyn Pizza, Che’s (a super popular hangout where all the cool kids go), and my personal favorite and Tucson staple, The Buffet ( oldest bar in town, and the story is that it opened the day after prohibition ended and is a super DIVE, happy minute is at 6pm and 11pm). Also the Owls club close to Congress is in an old mortuary and is a cool little hang out spot. Thats off the top of my head. If you have a hankering for something specific food wise let me know.

3 Likes

Dude, no mention of Eegees? I’m shocked :laughing:

3 Likes

Just don’t miss the Sonoran Hot Dogs, stands all over town.

2 Likes

I was shooting for his area, but yes, Eegees, Pats, Tania’s, Rocco’s, Sausage Deli…you know what, just pick any place, chances are it’ll be good. Remeber happy minute is at 6 and 11 PM.

2 Likes

What a fun weekend! Went to the meet and greet - I thought it’d be like a merch table/autograph setup but it was really casual and set me at ease for meeting the man himself. Met @psychetropic and we had a fun conversation. Talked to a guy from pre-DSI Sequential and got to ask Steve about the Hydrasynth.

The show was pretty cool - there were about five sections to it covering a lot of Steve’s usual territory. One of my favorite parts was right at the beginning, where he played a sort of prelude first on Oberheim then on the Hydra. Both sounded great in different ways and I’m pretty sold on a baby Hydra. Also there was a great part where Steve brought in some sub bass and then started doing that sort of dance everybody does where they have a killer beat going and start rocking out. Visuals by Noctivision were awesome - there was some parallel red/blue lines stuff that made me want 3d glasses.

I really enjoyed visiting Tucson - I did some fun stuff and ate great food. There’s a lot of natural beauty around the area. From my perspective the weather was like hell’s tutorial level (it’s usually pretty mild here) but I hope to return.

4 Likes

I’m always happy when someone enjoys their time here. Being born here, I have a deep love for it, and wish everyone else who visits, are able to recognize it’s beauty.

3 Likes

I love the elevation and the surrounding mountains. I love that you can drive up mt lemon? and it’s like 40 degrees cooler and there is a pine tree forest :heart:
Lots of interesting nooks a crannies around town and you are always on some kind of slope wherever you go :joy:

It’s more my style than Phoenix. But this where we had the best career opportunities. I’d still prefer Tucson myself.

3 Likes