Stereo-Tricks for Digitakt

I played around a bit, on how to play back mono-samples in stereo and do nice stereo tricks.

1. Copy a track to a second one
  2. Pan first and second track hard left and hard right.

Now you can do some tricks with them to widen the stereo effect.

1. Use microtriggers: Place samples on the first track 1/384 in front and samples on the second track 1/384 behind the beat.

2. Detuning with LFOs: Place one LFO on the tuning, choose sine with a slow to moderate speed. On the first Track adjust the Depth to ā€œ+0.20ā€ on the second track to ā€œ-0.20ā€

3. Different Filter-Frequencies for left and right: When you use a lp-filter, change the filter frequency or the Envelope Depth to differerent states left and right. You can do this with sine LFOs just like before but with higher depth values or use parameter locks. Try softer attacks and delays for the filter envelope for each note to emulate a sawtooth like wave. When the filter frequency is higher on the right side, its lower on the left and vice versa.

These are just common techniques, but maybe you have others to share. The work best with pads and leads. Not so much on bass and percussion as stereo techniques smear transients.

12 Likes

now add reverb/delay. Works well on creating wide drums and filling the track. Works also with noise and bit crusher.

4 Likes

i posted one a while ago , basically using a quick lfo on pan when the sample triggers , added a lot of snappy width to things.
use the envelope to return to normal left/right quickly,
this effect only needed 1 track too , but more for drums/percussion rather than longer sounds.

7 Likes

Amazing! This LFO panning seems to work quite well. Not bad on a shaker or similar for a wider top end. Sometimes i need to change the LFO wave, fade, and Mod style to improve the results depending on the sound, but overall working! Thanks!

3 Likes

bx stereomaker on a track through overbridge is a great way to do that too, transforms mono boring breakbeats into stereo facemelting beats

2 Likes

Rather than opening a new topic for this (which sounds like a headache) can anyone think of a way to use an LFO to pan a long sample (16, 32, 64 step?) in a way that sounds a bit like automation (left to right back and forth etc), smooth and rhythmically?

I understand why aiming an LFO at AMP:PAN engages a hard pan left or right at the trigger of the next sample rather than a modulated panning within itself (this works fine for hi hats or snare rolls or whatever) but Iā€™d like get some swimmy panning in these longer samples that Iā€™m using which is more precise than doing it by hand will accomplish.

Is this something where Iā€™m just missing the connection and someone might have an LFO destination/settings suggestion regarding? Thanks.

for a ;long sample you want to learn the lfo trig optionsā€¦
by default turn it off, and on step 1 - lock it to on.
thatā€™ll trigger thelfo to start (set bpm to low, rate to lowā€¦ with bpm sync).
assign lfo to Pan , set the lfo to sine and use depth to define how wide it goesā€¦

to get familiar with it use quicker values and you can visualize how it actually moves if you change it to modulate sample start point - and then view that page ā€¦ get an idea of how quickly it moves , then assign it back to pan)

if you retrigger the sample, it wont retrigger the LFO (which is why you turn off lfo trg and use a parameter lock to switch it on)
i havent got my digitakt in front of me,ā€¦ but thats basically the area you want to look atā€¦
lfo trg, bpm sync, low ratesā€¦ and lfo modulation depth.

1 Like

I wasnā€™t trig locking so it was just hard panning when the sample triggers, Iā€™ll disable the track LFO and try that, thanks.

I assume itā€™s the same for all elektron, so digitone would work the same way as far as the LFO retrig behavior?

hard pan seems like your default is either -64 OR your lfo waveform is starting ā€˜highā€™ or ā€˜lowā€™ and not at the centre (zero) point)
chec your LFO waveform to see how that is setup too.
if its setup at zero, and the LFO is moving positive and negative (bi polar??) ā€¦ then that should make it move left and right.

the lfo depth will determine the extreme values (i.e. value of 128 means it will go -64 and +64)

if you want more movement, you could put 2nd lfo onto depth and use fade in/out so that it gradually increases ā€¦
start with 1 x lfo and see how that goes.

yes - many elektron devices use the same principlesā€¦they have both amp and lfo trig optionsā€¦and you can modulate pan with lfo

i think with digitakt , you should be able to find both LFO1 trig and LFO2 trigā€¦ ā€¦ its been a while since i was doing this stuff.

1 Like

this might help a little.
he uses the filter as destination, but youll get the idea.
also look at lfo modesā€¦ this can also detirmine how the lfo is triggered (if its free running)ā€¦ certain modes would mean you dont need to bother with lfo trg on/off.

2 Likes

worked perfectly, thanks again.

Iā€™ll check out the video also, I just hadnā€™t thought that I needed to lock the sample and turn the track LFO off but after doing that and setting things deep I immediately got the panning modulation so I dialed it back and then just adjusted everything else like I normally would.

Watched the marked portion. Good link, thank you.

TinyGreg gets it in

2 Likes

The issue is these workarounds work only for already recorded stereo samples. I own a crumar seven and its effects are stereo, so when i sample my playing live its impossible.

I wish they just add a simple workaround when recording stereo sample that it takes 2 of your tracks and thats it. I would easily give up one spare track for that.

3 Likes

If you use DigiChain to convert your stereo samples, you can use the ā€œSerialize L/Rā€ selected action to convert the selected stereo files to mono files with the Left channel first, then the Right channel after it in the same sample, this saves on sample slots on the Digitakt :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

If you are willing to sacrifice the delay, it can be panned. Set it to very short time and pan the track to the left. Then pan the delay to the right and send the track to the delay

Best trick imho : additional stereo sampler !
(Thinking Tangerine / Blackboxā€¦Octatrack maybe ? ;))

3 Likes

Also, the TE KO2 is a fun and inexpensive stereo sampler with polyphony.