Stereo sampling for Digitakt, would it be simple to add that feature?

Ess said something about this design choice in the Q&A at the end of the Model:Cycles launch party.
(Edit: at 1:10:10.)

1 Like

Just checked: it’s at 1:10:10

1 Like

he says due to audio quality / hardware decisions…

no need to make it ALL stereo.
it would be really nice already if they could add at least 1 stereo track, even in lower audio quality …

3 Likes

As for stereo processing, I’m wondering if it could be possible to sync two tracks so every tweaked parameter (except pan) could be applied to the other track.

1 Like

There’s a precedence on the Digitone:

I’d love to see this feature on Syntakt as well.

7 Likes
3 Likes

Apropos of this, the last major module I bought was the ADDAC 112 VC Looper and Granular Sampler, which was originally announced as having mono input, stereo output. But the release was delayed by a few months because the developers decided to make it stereo input as well (that is, all recordings would be stereo). The module was plagued with crashes, glitches, and CPU overloading for the next eighteen months, despite many firmware updates. I only decided to buy when it appeared that the stability and reliability goals one would expect of an initial release had in fact finally been met. (Pretty happy with it so far, for what it’s worth.)

Too bad this feature was never implemented. The humble Korg Electribe Sampler got this feature right; playback of stereo samples just ends up taking 2 pads and the Electribe Sampler automatically does this for you.

“It should be simple to code” imo.

The Electribe Sampler also lets you play stereo samples in mono.

If you load the sample on an odd numbered track it will be stereo and take up two tracks but if you load the sample onto an even numbered track it will be mono and only take up one track.

1 Like

Such a simple feature that allows for working with stereo samples. I really don’t understand why it isn’t implemented on the Digitakt.

1 Like

The S2400 does something similar. If you load a stereo sample to a track and have it output to channel 1, it will output to channels 1 & 2 because it is stereo. Or you can set it to mono, and it would output as mono through track 1 only. The ability to do this on the Digitakt would open things up up.

A “Link” machine of some sort could do that, but having twice the same mono sample spread out on the stereo field doens’t make sense (unless we can invert the phase of the sample at the cost of mono mix incompatibilitiy) so it should only link some parameters, not all of them. And deciding what would be those params seems like an open gate to endless topic of unhappy users. Actually we can already copy paste a track and use it for stereo, the way each one os us want. But yeah, something to speed up the process would be nice obviously.

It was simpler to copy and modify Analog Rytm code (Digitakt’s DNA).

Yes, but a parameter link might be also helpful to sync random lfo’s & slices and get a faster workflow…

1 Like

copy pasting tracks and using for stereo, is sth different. staging mono instruments in stereo field is sth different. it’s not a workaround for sampling and mangling a nice already staged stereo sample source. so 1 channel stereo, even in lower quality, would be more than welcome.

Sure, I am not arguing with that. Even though I personally would have zero use for stereo sample in my music, because I’d rather place mono sources in the stereo field and use effects like reverb or delay in stereo, I totally get why it would appeal to some. The Idea behind the “link” machine would be something to speed up the process if you want to go stereo, with the benefit of remaining open to other uses.

sure, in my experimental “selfmade” music, i wouldnt do it either, but when you do sample based hiphop beats, and have a nice stereo recording sampled, its just stupid to flatten it to mono :slight_smile:

Never going to happen. Also, really not that simple to implement / code.

DT uses mono samples in a specific format. with 1 magic stereo track involved you should be able to also load stereo samples into a project. Which are only useable by that one track. Which is a workflow nightmare. Stereo samples also take up more space and with 64mb ram space is previous as is. Then there needs to be a distinction between stereo and mono samples on the +drive and in the sample slots and the sound browser. The transfer application needs to be updated to reflect this. Overbrudge needs to be changed to reflect this. Etc. Etc.

We can dream of course :slight_smile: but above is just a single example of why this would be a bad idea.

Maybe for a future device. Stereo linking 2 tracks would be the best solution for this imho.

2 Likes

I think this is a step too far. It would work with Mono samples, where user defines what he wants for left and right channel.
But then it would be best to have dual channel recording too, where left and right input get recorded at the same time. This might not be possible either.

And then everybody realizes that stereo samples are overrated ^^

2 Likes