Stereo sampling for Digitakt, would it be simple to add that feature?

Just wondering: would it be technically possible to let the Digitakt record samples in stereo? And would that only cut the recording time for the mono sample in half?

Completely happy with my DT, but if there was anything to wish, it would be stereo-sampling.

Not gonna happen

1 Like

Oke, but would it even be possible with the current specs? Of would it be possible to hack the damn thing and mod it? Just curious!

Yes. No.

It’s technically possible to run Doom on it. But that’s also not going to happen.

12 Likes

Feature request!

6 Likes

:grin:

record time is least of your worries. Stereo sampler requires completely new filter and FX section as of today all the sound design elements (including modulators) are mono. Look at the prices of stereo filters, reverbs and delays. This can give you a rough estimation of the price point of such a device.

You can still use the digitakt in stereo mode using the same sound and sequence in two different tracks and hardpaning to L and R. Add little reverb or delay to just one track and you are set.

2 Likes

Yeah, I did that trick while sampling internally. Record a sequence on L and record a sequence on R and then put them on two separate tracks. Works like a charm.

As I said, I love my DT, so it was more of a technical question than a feature request.

2 Likes

I don’t think digital stereo reverbs, delays and filters are particularly expensive.

4 Likes

Maybe buying them are. But making them, probably not.

I still kind of hope that one day the ability to use stereo samples will be implemented by linking 2 tracks together.

3 Likes

especially if you’ve already designed a mono one. and the vrb/dly on DT is already stereo…

yes, i´d be willing also to sacrifice one track to get stereo,
and another to get another stereo.

but then, i´d need the possibility to load stereo samples and record in stereo.
Now, how to handle this FW wise ?
i see there some confusion coming up when thinking it further.
won´t happen. now i see

For me, stereo sampling isn’t a must. I knew it wasn’t on board when I bought the DT. But wouldn’t it be fairly simple to make the monitoring option stereo?
I work with Gadget most of the time, so it would be nice to hear how the stereo field is filling up.

With all the existing bugs I’m going to say no it wouldn’t be easy to add that feature.

Quite sure it would be possible to add stereo samples, but don’t think it is likely when they have the Octatrack available

The only reason I am revising this long forgotten thread is that I have just received a like notification for my meagre contribution! Reading through has reminded me of the comment I meant to add at the time.

The big difference between playing back mono and stereo samples is that the stereo sample requires two voices. If this feature was enabled on the DT, playback of a stereo sample would take up two tracks.

A device which actually works in this fashion is the Electribe sampler.

1 Like

Stereo samples = double everything that processes the audio.
According to elektron (I’ve read this but not actually seen them say it) they are pushing the limit already with DT, the only way this might be possible is forfeiting 2 audio tracks for a stereo sample track.

Wanting stereo sample in DT mean you have the wrong idea of what is the DT. This box is designed to process mono sample and it will never be different. If you want stereo sample, look at other gears.

3 Likes

Yeah, I know you are right. That’s why I eventually swapped the DT a while ago. First for a Blackbox, now trying the mc-707.

Cycles and Samples filling my Elektron-needs now.