Steam Deck

ooh, Assasin’s Creed, I loved the original…
not tried it on the deck, as there are so many versions, and Ive no idea which one too try :slight_smile:
(similar situation for Elder Scrolls Oblivion)

recently, Ive been playing Elite Dangerous (Odyssey) on the Deck, really enjoyable… took a bit of setup to get the right tradeoff of graphics vs fps , but its been great.
the only ‘minor niggles’ is the text is not super clear … which seems to be a general complain for Elite, and of course, the small screen on the Deck doesn’t help.
but definitely playable, and very enjoyable.

2 Likes

My favorites are black flag, odyssey, origins and Valhalla.

I’m playing odyssey right now, it’s excellent. Almost like Skyrim in Ancient Greece.

1 Like

I just received my email this week as well!

2 Likes

So…It’s a really nice little machine…Works very well.

I just need to find a powered hub with hdmi and usb to bring on the full experience in the living room.

Anyone has a step by step method for running bitwig and installing some vst on it ? :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I’m waiting for the official steamdock …
(though, I recently did use remote display to stream deck to tv… that was kind of cool)

partly, because Im hoping that by the time Valve release this, they will have ‘honed’ the docking experience. e.g. at the moment, is launching on the deck and on an external display shares the same ‘game profile’, I’d like to see this split up somehow, say to run different resolutions, or power profiles.

It’ll be interesting to see how well this can work… Im hoping pretty well, albeit at lower resolutions for many games.
(e.g. you’re running at 720/800p on deck, so can’t expect its poor cpu to handle 4k … and even at 1080p, on some games, you’ll need to drop some fidelity settings?!)

just start launch desktop mode, and follow bitwigs instructions for installing linux package.
(there are various guides on install plugins under linux, guess for many you’ll have to use wine or similar - though I think u-he, have a few released natively for linux?)

though I usually love doing this sort of thing - ‘because I can’, frankly, no interest in this…
its just going to feel like an underpowered pc… and you’ll still need a bunch of ‘add-ons’ (midi controller/audio interface) to make it slightly interesting, then that kills its USP… portability.

… also, I like having the SteamDeck dedicated to gaming, Id not want to compromise that.

thats not to say, I cannot imagine writing a music making app for SteamDeck… but I think it would have to be designed for its form-factor to be appealing… (so , perhaps I’ll do that one day :wink: )

1 Like

I’m curious about a hub as well, if anyone has a recommendation! The official Steam one will probably be best, but who knows when that will be?

id think they are all pretty much the same…

Ive a small usb (3) hub with hdmi on it - need to try it, but should be ok.
though it lacks power… so not great for long session… there you’d want a powered usb hub, that will also power the steam deck.

what I need to do is order a wireless controller…
(Ive got an old ps3 dual shock but that only works wired… which isn’t useful in this scenario)

not sure what to get, Id like something in a similar format to the steamdeck… for muscle memory
I guess just a newer playstation controller… but of course, lacks the back buttons and trackpads :frowning:
… but would be ok for some games…
(perhaps also I can use a small wireless keyboard, If I need more controls?)

I think Ive been spoilt by the fantastic steamdeck controls!

related, I have found you can plug the steamdeck directly into a tv/monitor that supports usb3 displays… that’s pretty neat, as the monitor then powers the steamdeck, and also gives you usb ports which I could plug my controller into… so it was a ‘one cable’ solution.

1 Like

People seem to like to JSAUX Docks. They’ve got an exciting new dock coming out that accepts an M2 ssd.

I bought the cheapest one when it was the only option, I’ve only used it with mouse and keyboard once to setup PS5 streaming, and it simply worked but again I didn’t push it’s capabilities.

I would have gotten the next step up with 3 ports of usb 3 if it was available.

Thanks! I’ll have to check if my tv supports that, but I doubt it. A simple USB to HDMI is pretty cheap, but having something powered would be nice.

I hooked up my ps5 controller with no problems, I’d imagine a ps4 would just as easy, and a little cheaper!

Awesome, I’ll check these out! (checked it out, and its pretty much exactly what i was looking for) Thanks ya’ll

1 Like

ok… got it sorted…

the DualShock 3 isn’t (initially) discoverable via bluetooth…,
BUT if you plug it in with a usb cable, then it discovers it.
from then on it works fine wirelessly (*)

also connected my usb hub with hdmi , and that worked first time.
(my tv doesn’t have usb3… but my LG monitors do… and they work fine)

seems like a nice combo, and I can experiment now with how comfortable it is, and which games work well. (**)

it’s not as good as a dock, since its not charging/powering the deck. also, my dual shock 3 has not been used for years, so battery is probably dodgy… so will still likely replace it.

But both will last me untill the official steam dock is released :slight_smile:

(*) you only need to plug in with usb cable once, so steamdeck can ‘discover’ it.

(*) I think targeting 1080p, and perhaps taking a hit on graphics settings is perhaps the way forward for many.

my only ‘fear’ is, I think the SteamDeck feels so good, because on its small screen, lets you can use lower graphics settings and not really loose much. but as soon as you put on large tv, perhaps thats going to be not such a great trade-off… but as a casual gamer… Im sure I’ll be fine with it.

1 Like

Dock doesn’t really interest me, I have a desktop with a 3070, which I hope to upgrade to a 3080 TI. I’m not sure how it will look on a tv. Didn’t like playing my switch docked.

Still loving mine for handheld, though. I haven’t touched my PS5 or desktop in 2 months.

Switch games are nice on TV screen, no reason SteamDeck should be worse…Depends on which game and what you are used to…:slight_smile:

definitely an expectation thing…

but also, Nintendo are curating titles ensuring that they are going to perform well both docked and undocked… basically the profiles are already setup for users.

but with the steam deck that’s up to you :slight_smile:
that’s no diss on the steam deck, it has the tools to make this happen, reducing graphic settings, fsr, etc… and frankly, we are already doing this when we try new games on the deck… its the ‘pc gaming way’

however, I do think, Valve will likely work on making this docking experience a little better than it is currently , recognising docking is going to require slightly different configurations.

we have already seen some moves in this direction on steamOS, and some believe that this may be (one of) the reasons the steam dock has been delayed… to give time for the steamOS software to give a more ‘switch like’ experience for docking.
but no-one knows… we will see…

Recieved a steam message, that i could get one - i am not sure now, after Elden Ring this year, i was a bit burned out with gaming. I took a laptop on vacation, but used it only one evening, not sure how i feel about the steam deck now - if i dont decide this weekend, my chance is gone. I waited for a PS5 (and declined the offer) for a longer period but actually cant stand this method of selling stuff - the 2nd hand ebay course is again 100€ over the actual list price. This economy sucks…

2 Likes

Mine arrived last weekend, and it’s very nice. It’s got me playing games again, which I haven’t really been doing for a while.

2 Likes

I bought it finally, i imagine pc games on the couch, i sit enough with abelton already, also no need to buy additional games and its a linux boost, that i want to see, as far as i could see there are others doing linux audio, maybe its a mobile solution for audio also (with a cheap hub)

2 Likes

i’m able to preorder

worth it? is the resolution low?

Which model? The cheapest one is quite cheap (and has very little storage), the most expensive is quite expensive (and doesn’t have many advantages over the medium price one). It was worth it to me, but maybe not to you.

is the resolution low?

1280x800 which is less than full HD but more than 720p. It’s plenty on that size screen. It can do higher resolution connected to a TV or monitor.

1 Like

I had one. Great handheld. Gave it to my kiddo as I have too much to do in life to play more games. But it’s a really nice machine.

Yes, worth it, IMO. I don’t touch my PS5 or gaming pc anymore. Resolution isn’t high, but the screen is small and it doesn’t bother me at all.

2 Likes