Status Update on Overbridge [posted February 2018]

There are some talented people on this board for sure, but to say that they’d get it finished quicker than a dedicated team of paid full-time professionals is pretty ludicrous.

1 Like

well at the least free sound packs right? Also since I bought both an A4 MK2 and an OT MK2, the A4 MK2 still has zero OB support, why not give me free OT sample packs and A4 MK2 sample packs at no charge for the lack of OB support in the A4 MK2? Elektron should at least make good on this from a customer service perspective as they really dropped the ball BIG TIME!

1 Like

Sorry but Elektron needs to fess up and not continue selling false advertising!

1 Like

You should definitely ask Elektron for free sample packs for your A4mk2

8 Likes

Try looking at that picture with these subtitles:

Clinton: “Overbridge!”
Bush: “:slight_smile:

Dunno if this is was OP meant but it works for me!

2 Likes

Current mood

23 Likes

Elektron should absolutely be offering something like free sound packs at this point. The only issue is if they are licensed from the sound creators. If that’s the case, every pack sold (or given out) will cost Elektron money. If that’s the case, they will not even consider it. If it is not the case, then there is no reason they can’t do right to any customer that owns a device that should have OB support.
It seems like a no-brainer but so does honest, timely communication…
Furthermore, the ones who own AR MK1 (like me) and
have been waiting for sample management for nearly 4 years
should also be getting something for this debacle. At this point, I assume if they were to do that, it would go to AR mk2 owners with a promise of “soon” for AR1. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

Most open source project take longer to develop. Taking Gimp for example, it took 6 years to develop the last version. Usually, open source projects that manage to keep a steady pace in development are usually supported by a core team of developers tied to a company.

Making OB open source wouldn’t do any good. The first problem that comes to mind is that anyone who wants to start contributing, has to get up to speed on the whole codebase, and that takes time, you can’t actually hack away your way through coding new features. More contributors also mean it would be harder to enforce a particular coding style and code reviewing would take longer.
If you take into account that there’s a possibility that they use a custom build system, they’d have to release that also, and make sure that it’s compatible with different machines which would involve additional development not related directly to OB.

There are a lot more reasons why making it open source wouldn’t help at all and actually make things worse. Someone in this thread pointed to “The mythical man-month” before, and if you’re not familiar with this concept, you should check it out, it’s a really interesting read.

Also, while open source as its perks, it’s in no way a viable solution for everything and everyone, and it should never be a solution to development related problems.

6 Likes

2AF80B3F-B7CC-495A-9A35-70BADF041DE4

2 Likes

True and I will ask Elektron about this since I bought A4 for OB use and for managing modular gear. It works great on modular CV side and hopefully they support OB in future. I don’t care about OT and OB since my OT is for live shows and sampling and as long as I can export via USB the .wav sound audio files then I am happy with it.

Overall Elektron makes great stuff so hope they pull thru to restore good reputation. Having an arrogant view toward customers is sheer folly! I know they are small company.

Cool to see that Mac from Always Sunny in Philly owns Elektron gear.

1 Like

New the forum. Bought the Digitakt used a few weeks ago. Didn’t realize that OB wasn’t available initially…My bad I guess. I watched a bunch of use videos, which didn’t really touch on OB, just usage. When I jumped on the website I saw “Works with overbrige”. Read about it briefly and though, “Cool, that sways me.” Was bummed to discover after purchase that it didn’t work…but there was an OS update the day I bought it, so that was cool :slight_smile:

I just noticed that the Overbridge icon that used to be on the very top page (on right of the digitakt image) has been removed. Hope that is just them recognising that it was misleading rather than the alternative…

3 Likes

Good on this guy for making the video. This is such a mess. I’m still shocked they aren’t being honest to their current and potential customers in terms of advertising/marketing. Simon mentions they are hiring some sort of PR guy to do just that but seriously, not one person can come out and do an official statement with current status? What the heck is going on over there?
p.s. when I say “official” I mean not just a post on the forum buried under 1000 posts. I mean on the Elektron.se site and a proper post on this forum.

7 Likes

Yep the job has been taken by yours truly. I’m stoked.
It’s like I was made for this position.
Just been brushing up on my PR skills.
Next one of you arseholes that asks about Overbridge will cop it.
Don’t ask. It will be ready when it’s fuckin ready alright

15 Likes

Cool I need a new job so maybe Elektron can hire me as a sales field engineer to help take flack from customers? I own 2 new Elektron boxes so I can alway play devil’s advocate!

1 Like

Which is exactly why open source could work very well with OB - there is already a core team of developers tied to a company working on it. There is also an active community.

This part of your post seems very biased to me. Couple of comments:

• if they track issues (and I hope they do), it is very much possible for a developer to solve a single problem instead of studying the complete codebase.
  • More contributors is a good thing - two people get more done than one. It seems Elektrons resources are limited in either skill or availability and open source can help with both. Open source also means more testers and more ways to find and solve bugs.

There is no need for them to make sure their build system is compatible with all different machines. The contributors would use their time to learn and adapt to their build system.

In my opinion a more effective way would be to publish API integration publically for the boxes, then we could have many solutions produced without Elektron having to be responsible for those solutions. Protects their code IP too.

2 Likes

Great video, this should be spread around a bit more. Really sums up the frustration with Elektron and Overbridge. We don’t want any more new bullshit boxes, we want you guys to fix the one’s you’ve already made. I definitely won’t be buying anymore Elektron boxes if they continue with this marketing strategy. Luckily I only have a AR MK1 so I have the old overbridge but if I had bought any mk2 or Digitakt I’d sell them right away.

1 Like

wow what a great advice. Just looking around in my bedroom, almost none of my synths has overbridge, so all of this has to go! Only thing I will hold on is my modular cuz some guy in internetz told me that overbridge for eurorack will be out for Superbooth 2022.

3 Likes