Status Update on Overbridge [posted February 2018]

Yup. You know they are not so much of a premium brand though really. missing release dates on software, terribly buggy OS on new machines, very slow updates to bugs, lots of machines going back with faults, quality control issues… buttons in wrong places etc…
The wheels are falling off the whole operation a bit.
Maybe they have scaled up to fast with the new investors and are struggling to deliver.
:pensive:

I think I’m realising that Elektron are a nice idea, bad execution. That’s why there will be no more Elektron gear in my collection. I’m not going to sell the DT or DN, I just hope one day they live up to their potential, and that day isn’t years away…

5 Likes

And I couldn’t care less about such complacent remarks, being utterly ignorant towards users facing issues. If you don’t record music, or don’t need Overbridge, just move on: nothing to see in such threads for people commenting like you do :slight_smile:

From my view NOTHING is more boring in forums, than this kind of complacency nobody asked for.

Don’t start wars - you’ve seen the guidelines - if you have an issue use the flags, don’t fight fire with fire, it just makes for a very boring forum indeed (along with the endless negativity)

@djsm - let’s tone it down, please

1 Like

And what does bashing the company have anything to do with Overbridge? I guess you do not have much experience with other companies… At least this one fixes bugs and tells you what they ‘can’.

Don’t forget, you only hear the bad experiences, especially if that is what you are looking to hear. MANY more positive experiences then negative, and over time, their products have been pretty polished.

I did not really see @Buska ‘bashing’ Elektron FWIW he just stated some inconvenient facts that have been reported by users on the forum, expressed his own disappointment, and his theory about the cause of the problems and stated that he will not be buying any more Elektron gear.

I’m willing to bet that most of the more impassioned remarks and frustrations come from those who care more about Elektron gear and Elektron as a company than most, Elektron employees are great guys who demonstrate time and again their commitment to users and the gear, Elektron the company however need to get their act together and that is pretty much what most of the ‘beef’ is about, as far as I can tell.

5 Likes

When I started making music back in 1990s I had an Amiga 500 + Roland Jx3p + TR707 and a Bassstation. My first vinyl record released in 1998 was just recorded straight to DAT and send to pressing plant. No DAW, No Total integration

At some point I noticed that not actually a not working Overbridge is holding me back making music, spending time to figure out why is not working and writing comments on internet forums was holding me back.

I don´t need overbridge for making music. There is always another way around, even if your gear or time is limited. Finding and experimenting is part of creative procress. People have made hit records with just Amiga 500 8bit 4 channels audio sound (think of Hardsequencer). It is what it is. Go and make noise :wink:

9 Likes

yes but a 98 release would probably not hold up as a commercial release today. I also have a record from 98. recorded in to a portastudio and it still sounds good to me, but it sounds “retro”. In 2018 i need to process my drum tracks individually.

5 Likes

Thing is though even back then we could reliably back up our work, even if it was to floppy :joy:

4 Likes

okay good point! Remembering floppy disks and scsi drive for my mpc :smiley:

1 Like

Don’t copy that floppy :rofl:

3 Likes

yes, but at least on the AR you have individual outs. If you talking about DT/DN you can record instruments one after the other. so you can proceed your drum tracks individually

my guess: it would hold up as a commercial release - it would just read to listeners like you were going for a “90s sound” without them understanding precisely why. that’s a very hip thing to do these days so you’ve probably got the attention of tastemakers with your throwback production/recording techniques and now you’re selling a few records, baby.

my point: you can always sell/justify anything post-hoc as a deliberate production approach to achieve an effect, no matter how lo-fi or lazy or questionable you personally feel about it, lol

2 Likes

sad sad sad …
sadness is what happens on my geardesk since weeks!
i mentioned this already month before that this work will maybe not fullfil its full functionality! that‘s the point i‘m talking about. if he wants to spend his time with … it‘s ok. maybe my wording should sound more like: would be sad to see your work will not fully succeed because elektron is blocking this process!
and you should also agree that the most respectful way to honor it‘s work would be to make that tool work, what btw. would make every DT/AR user very happy and would help to cool down the actual situation a little bit!

i‘m naturally no basher and hater, and yes my attitude is mostly negative in here, but someone needs to be the asshole which that says what some others only think of!

1 Like

I think a lot of people, myself included are long time tired of ‘competitive’ DAW produced music (and before people start thinking it, no of course I don’t mean all DAW music) which is so common now, and vinyl and cassette tape don’t reproduce that kind of sound well either, and given that they are both quite popular with people who actually buy music, it does seem that a lot of producers are laying off the loudness maximisers, multi-band compressors and so on, and instead adopting more holistic mastering and colouration techniques as used in the past, because it actually often sounds much better. My 0.2 :joy:

5 Likes

I have no problem at all working with my new AR2 as it is. And in fact I enjoy a lot about it.

Many seem to think that you EITHER are a) the typical hardware musician or b) a DAW based music producer, and that you either should be satisifed belonging to a) OR you should be satisfied belonging to b), because you only have to understand how cool it is to belong to a). But most people I know are a bit or a lot of both, and then a lot of all shades in between! So both assumtions don’t seem to reflect how most musicians nowadays work.

First of all, they don’t belog to a) OR b), but to a) AND b) at the same time, concerning hard- and software use. And second, there are many more types of musicians and ways of making music out there than just these two basic types.

So for most of them, just like for me, the problem is not, that Elektron gear would be useless without Overbridge. Far from that: I’m doing a lot of things with my AR2 while Overbridge is still missing. And the other way round I also won’t stop working on DAW projects, just because Overbridge is missing: of course there’s endless musical life out there without Overbridge !

But:
the problem which won’t vanish, is that Overbridge is essential for certain kinds of planned workflow, and it is very annoying that planning that kind of thing with a buy is not just slightly delayed for some minor problems, but cancelled for the time being, without any further explanation how and when to get back on track.

So let’s not debate wrong alternatives of all or nothing, hardware or DAW, workarounds or real solutions etc.
Let’s focus on what Overbridge is needed for and why we can’t just forget about a part of the heavily advertised deal, which was cancelled one-sided in a - from my view - completely unacceptable way. It is NOT ok to keep us as uninformed buyers, after getting our money, instead of treating us as respected customers, who deserve A LOT more of qualified information and effort, and naming in a much more concrete way, how to fix a very bad situation.

1 Like

^ Not forgetting those who simply want to back up their samples and don’t give a toss about DAW integration.

4 Likes

That’s one legitimate claim besides others, yes. But not instead of many other legitimate workflow claims referring to what was bought as advertised, wouldn’t you agree?

I have one more question regarding Overbridge: Further above someone seemed to imply, that so far it only works at 96kHz. Is that seriously true? And is it supposed to stay like that?

I ask because it simply can’t be, that a plugin (ANY plugin) decides about the sample rate of any actual user project. Of course all common DAW sample rates have to be useable with such a plugin, at the very least including 44 and 48 kHz.

I agree anyone who paid for a product in good faith based on what was promised, and has not had a satisfactory outcome has a legitimate right to seek resolution.

2 Likes

If you view overbridge as cancelled vs delayed I could understand being upset about it at a heightened level. But there has been communication saying it’s delayed not cancelled and Simon even gave reasons why earlier in the thread. Sure no definite release date, I get that.

It seems that because the announcement was quite vague people are using that to make baseless assumptions which isn’t helping in the least.

This isn’t really aimed at you beyond the first little paragraph I think if people actually put aside emotion and know-it-all attitudes and approached the situation in a logical manner we may get more communication directly from the company, but at this point it seems any news positive or negative is met in an manner which does not facilitate open communication.

1 Like

Yes i agree that it’s totally fine as far as AR goes. I was talking about DT/N and I think it’s more of an issue with DT. Tracking it one by one is a very different workflow and won’t work for me. I just use it for sound Fx now. It’s going to be fine and it’s going to be great. but some of us have been waiting for a long time.

3 Likes